What is going on with GMS Drums?

CigarScott

Reaction score
Does anyone know what is going on with GMS Drums? Me growing up in and getting into drums in the 90's, they along with DW were THE custom, boutique drum maker and it seemed like a ton of players were playing them. They had distribution with Paiste, seemed like a lot of shops carried them and were a rather mainstream brand.

I first toyed with the idea about 15 years ago of finally investing in a pro-level kit when I had some money burning a hole in my pocket and I started looking around for GMS dealers and they were hard to find. I was in a major metro area visiting that had a shop listed on GMS's website hoping to finally see a kit in the flesh but they had none. I inquired about them at the shop and they were like "yeah, we can still order them, we think but we have sold one in like 8 years". They had like a five year old price list, made a photocopy for me so I can ballpark what a kit would cost and sent me on my way. Over the years when I was still toying with buying a new kit, I got the similar spiel from other shops throughout the country. I didn't end up getting a kit as other things came up and didn't want to spend that kind of cash without ever physically touching one of their products.

Fast forward to about three years ago, I was almost ready to pull the trigger to get a GMS kit but I was offered a deal that I couldn't refuse for a custom Pearl Masterworks kit which and have only owned Pearl plus I would use Pearl hardware & pedals, regardless of what kit I would play so I went that route which allowed me to go even more custom than what GMS could offer.

I've only been to two shops in my life that actually had a GMS kit or snare in stock: Vic's in Chicago (RIP) and Fork's in Nashville. I finally tried a kit in Chicago and loved it but had already ordered my Pearl kit at that point. I did buy a GMS Revolution snare that I fell in love with there as a consolation prize.

I listened to the Drum History podcast with the two owners the other day and it sounds like they're still in business but at what level? You can't find their products really anywhere anymore (looks like Drum Center of Portsmouth doesn't even carry them anymore and they carry every oddball brand on the planet), their website hasn't been updated in years, social media hasn't been updated in over a year and one of the owners is now working a 9-5 job in Cali.

They used to have a pretty solid artist roster with Mark Zonder and Jerry Gaskill to name a few but now Eric Kretz is their only endorser who I've heard of nowadays. I completely understand that a small company like them can't compete with the DW's, Pearl's, and so on with free gear, tour/backline support, and so on.

In short, are they just doing direct to consumer now? Is it just a one person operation? Any idea why DCP is no longer carrying them?

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that it seems like GMS ownership is just not putting in the same effort to be visible and current . I am a fan of GMS drums too . Superb finish work and so well made .
I think they are victim of just too many small drum companies and not enough business .

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Im interested in what type of insight comes in on this thread. I came up in the 90"s myself and also remember GMS having that custom WOW factor.

I came into one of their snares in a trade deal around the mid 90's, beautiful snare, played it for 20 years or so, then i got it in my head that I was only going to keep my Vintage Tama and Sonor snares. I put that beautiful GMS snare on eBay on a proper auction and it sold for like $180. Couldn't believe it. I regret selling that snare to this day.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The biggest music store in my area has one GMS item and it's an orange and white acrylic snare. Man I wish they had the rest of the matching kit.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I remember seeing Bob Dylan a couple of times in the 00's, with George Recelli playing so well on GMS drums. Those drums sounded KILLER through nice PA's.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what is going on with GMS Drums? Me growing up in and getting into drums in the 90's, they along with DW were THE custom, boutique drum maker and it seemed like a ton of players were playing them. They had distribution with Paiste, seemed like a lot of shops carried them and were a rather mainstream brand.

I first toyed with the idea about 15 years ago of finally investing in a pro-level kit when I had some money burning a hole in my pocket and I started looking around for GMS dealers and they were hard to find. I was in a major metro area visiting that had a shop listed on GMS's website hoping to finally see a kit in the flesh but they had none. I inquired about them at the shop and they were like "yeah, we can still order them, we think but we have sold one in like 8 years". They had like a five year old price list, made a photocopy for me so I can ballpark what a kit would cost and sent me on my way. Over the years when I was still toying with buying a new kit, I got the similar spiel from other shops throughout the country. I didn't end up getting a kit as other things came up and didn't want to spend that kind of cash without ever physically touching one of their products.

Fast forward to about three years ago, I was almost ready to pull the trigger to get a GMS kit but I was offered a deal that I couldn't refuse for a custom Pearl Masterworks kit which and have only owned Pearl plus I would use Pearl hardware & pedals, regardless of what kit I would play so I went that route which allowed me to go even more custom than what GMS could offer.

I've only been to two shops in my life that actually had a GMS kit or snare in stock: Vic's in Chicago (RIP) and Fork's in Nashville. I finally tried a kit in Chicago and loved it but had already ordered my Pearl kit at that point. I did buy a GMS Revolution snare that I fell in love with there as a consolation prize.

I listened to the Drum History podcast with the two owners the other day and it sounds like they're still in business but at what level? You can't find their products really anywhere anymore (looks like Drum Center of Portsmouth doesn't even carry them anymore and they carry every oddball brand on the planet), their website hasn't been updated in years, social media hasn't been updated in over a year and one of the owners is now working a 9-5 job in Cali.

They used to have a pretty solid artist roster with Mark Zonder and Jerry Gaskill to name a few but now Eric Kretz is their only endorser who I've heard of nowadays. I completely understand that a small company like them can't compete with the DW's, Pearl's, and so on with free gear, tour/backline support, and so on.

In short, are they just doing direct to consumer now? Is it just a one person operation? Any idea why DCP is no longer carrying them?
Did you try contacting them? That would probably be the best way to find out. Don't know if it's up to date but they have a phone number and an email on their website:
516-508-0843
[email protected]

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last GMS set was an asian Offering and was quite nice I considered them. Was it the SL Series? Yes. It was. It was neat. The next line up was the CL series and those too (with an 14x18) were baddaz

ok I've had it with that smiley face everytime we put an 8 with )
I'm going straight to the boss's office..with complaint. brb

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I owned two GMS kits in the mid-late 90s and both were absolutely great. Interestingly, both had KILLER bass drums. At the time, I was playing and gigging a couple DW kits heavily 200 gigs/year. The GMS kits were leaps and bounds better than my DW kits at that time in every way. Again, the bass drums were absolutely GREAT.

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may be in a time warp here reading an old thread ?
Pretty sure GMS has not produced product for years, and it’s a shame that they experienced difficulty staying in the industry.
I have a CL bop kit made on Long Island, and love it.
Also have an SE ash snare for sale in our FS section.
I always have my eyes open for interesting used gear.
Love everything about them.

tempobob

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I may be in a time warp here reading an old thread ?
Pretty sure GMS has not produced product for years, and it’s a shame that they experienced difficulty staying in the industry.
I have a CL bop kit made on Long Island, and love it.
Also have an SE ash snare for sale in our FS section.
I always have my eyes open for interesting used gear.
Love everything about them.
I think they are. That Drum History Podcast is pretty recent as I recall, and a good listen.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I owned two GMS kits in the mid-late 90s and both were absolutely great. Interestingly, both had KILLER bass drums. At the time, I was playing and gigging a couple DW kits heavily 200 gigs/year. The GMS kits were leaps and bounds better than my DW kits at that time in every way. Again, the bass drums were absolutely GREAT.
Back in the mid or late 90s, my local Sam Ash had a GMS kit with a 24x16 kick. That was an amazing kick and the whole kit sounded great.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score