Reaction score
Screenshot_20220523-091804~2.png

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This stuff?!
20220523_095026.jpg

Seems a little (ok A LOT) coarse for a drum finish.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Guessing it was originally intended to cover up ugly inside plies.
It’s funny because black (and other opaque colors) are intended for bad wood; there were 60s Mopar cars that were intended to be black because the body work was perfect from the factory, and either a number or letter indicated that it was to be black. Funny how black is polar opposite for wood and metal products in manufacturing.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
And Ludwig "Reso-coat" is said to be white ceiling paint.

"Off the shelf" industrial coatings. No guys in lab coats trying to cook up the optimal acoustic paint back then.
Likely a QC guy saying “let’s cover up the not quite attractive inner plies. I got some fence paint over here. Yeah! That’s the ticket!”

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
I use that stuff on my rubber coated flat roof... I think that would be pretty thick and dampening, for a drum.(it will keep out the rain though).. I always thought the Gretsch stuff was just silver chain link fence paint
Probably hard to apply quickly.

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Probably hard to apply quickly.
Ohh man, when you open up that tub it is all a thick black sludge and you have to work pretty hard to mix it up.. all the silver is at the bottom. You could mix it with a drill based mixer but if it splatters it really makes a mess, anything it touches is a mess. clean up isn't so easy. ..so you basically spend 15 minutes hand churning and turning it.. then you can apply with a broom or similar... It seals cracks and micro-fissures ... I will say it will last a few good winters before it starts to break down.

Acidwash

Reaction score
When I toured the factory, there was a very large heavy duty door with a sign above it that said “sealer room”. I went to open it, and the staff got very uneasy and physically tried to stop me. I did get the door open just a little bit, and through that crack the door opened, I saw a large vat over a wood fire. There were several “employees” wearing robes and strange pointy hats. They were laughing at seemingly nothing. And everything was……..silver