What is Gretsch Silver Sealer?

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When I toured the factory, there was a very large heavy duty door with a sign above it that said “sealer room”. I went to open it, and the staff got very uneasy and physically tried to stop me. I did get the door open just a little bit, and through that crack the door opened, I saw a large vat over a wood fire. There were several “employees” wearing robes and strange pointy hats. They were laughing at seemingly nothing. And everything was……..silver
Did they do a dance and sing like the Oompa Loompa's???

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s funny because black (and other opaque colors) are intended for bad wood; there were 60s Mopar cars that were intended to be black because the body work was perfect from the factory, and either a number or letter indicated that it was to be black. Funny how black is polar opposite for wood and metal products in manufacturing.
MOPAR! Have not heard that in many years
dodge dart 2.jpeg

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You never see the sealant application in any of the factory tour videos (at least I haven't).

Because it's a secret! It's become part of the Gretsch mythology ( like 5 lug toms).
But if the "secret" actually is that it's just aluminum fence paint you'd probably want to guard that information just as carefully.

DBT

Reaction score
I thought I had read somewhere that it is “galvanized” aluminum paint. Is that correct?
They’ve been out of it for a long time at the store near me so I used this which is the same . I did 6 shells with it . The difference is that I taped everything off on the outside of the shells including over all the holes ( didn’t feel like plugging them ) and taped over the paper tag inside . Came out beautiful and even . Cleaned the insides up nice . Not for nothing but unless you have a 100 shells and fencing that needs a coat what are you going to use a gallon of it for ?

Attachments

• E94259C7-5E9C-4BB0-BDD0-438E2B967513.jpeg
    E94259C7-5E9C-4BB0-BDD0-438E2B967513.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

WesChilton

Reaction score
When I restored my 1970 Gretsch 4158 snare drum, I used Tamiya silver metallic acrylic model paint. I airbrushed it over the areas where the "silver sealer" was wearing off. It came out great and you can't tell the difference!

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Good thing it wasn't left over Avocado kitchen paint...generations of guys would be driving themselves nuts trying to colour match it..
If that was what was handy and cheap, that could have easily been the “super secret sealer” instead of silver fence paint.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
You never see the sealant application in any of the factory tour videos (at least I haven't).

Because it's a secret! It's become part of the Gretsch mythology ( like 5 lug toms).
But if the "secret" actually is that it's just aluminum fence paint you'd probably want to guard that information just as carefully.
You had better believe it. People love things shrouded in mystery, such as the 11 herbs and spices in KFC, or what is really in the McRib.