the silver on the imports is different than the silver on the USA drums;
so there; take That.. (ha!

also:
"there's no short-cuts on nitro-celluose lacquer"
remember that next time you're on Jeopardy

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
You had better believe it. People love things shrouded in mystery, such as the 11 herbs and spices in KFC, or what is really in the McRib.
Many decades ago, had a summer job cooking Kentucky Fried Chicken. One day they ran out of flour with the 11 herbs and spices. The owner and manager went to a back room and locked the door while they fixed up a batch of flour enough to last the rest of the day. No employees allowed in. True story!

Esotericdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When I toured the factory, there was a very large heavy duty door with a sign above it that said “sealer room”. I went to open it, and the staff got very uneasy and physically tried to stop me. I did get the door open just a little bit, and through that crack the door opened, I saw a large vat over a wood fire. There were several “employees” wearing robes and strange pointy hats. They were laughing at seemingly nothing. And everything was……..silver
Was this after you ingested the acid wash?

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many decades ago, had a summer job cooking Kentucky Fried Chicken. One day they ran out of flour with the 11 herbs and spices. The owner and manager went to a back room and locked the door while they fixed up a batch of flour enough to last the rest of the day. No employees allowed in. True story!
I came across this article not too long ago. Sounds like it just needs some fence paint added and it's good to go.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
I came across this article not too long ago. Sounds like it just needs some fence paint added and it's good to go.

Wow! Never knew the cat was out of the bag! Harland Sanders must be turning over in his grave. I guess he wasn’t too generous with the nephew in his will.

WesChilton

Reaction score
Looking at that video briefly, I am reminded about how many people still believe the myth that Jasper is a magical type of wood and don't even know that Jasper was just a furniture company that Gretsch bought their shells from. Oh the arguments I have been in over that important detail.:rolleyes:

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at that video briefly, I am reminded about how many people still believe the myth that Jasper is a magical type of wood and don't even know that Jasper was just a furniture company that Gretsch bought their shells from. Oh the arguments I have been in over that important detail.:rolleyes:

Someone should do a parody video for Youtube, exploring the groves of rare Jasper trees that only grow in the mountains of Indiana.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
The magical, mystery tour!

Tubwompus

Reaction score
Back in ‘81, when I still young and stupid (before I got OLD and stupid), me and another bud were a couple of 17-year old drum nerds. We decided to use my ratty old 60’s Gretsch BDP 20, 12, 14 kit as a lab rat for our first attempt at a refin.

The insides were ratty, as well, and we decided that instead of guessing what Gretsch used on the insides, we’d just call the factory and ask. We were put in touch with a sweet, sweet woman who worked on the shop floor named Elaine. We told her what we were doing and in her grandmotherly southern drawl, she said, “Well honey, it’s just aluminum lacquer. Gimme your address and I’ll send y’all a little can of it.” What a sweetheart! And she did. It was perfect.

A few years later, I was at summer NAMM in Chicago and ran into a fella from my hometown who was repping for Gretsch. I told him my story about Elaine being such a sweetheart to a couple of little midwestern punks. He said, “I wonder if that was why she was fired(!).”

To this day, I pray that such a sweet woman didn’t lose her gig because she was so nice to us.

Reaction score
The modern formula is now from House of Kolor:

hkr-ss01q01_xl.jpg

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Back in ‘81, when I still young and stupid (before I got OLD and stupid), me and another bud were a couple of 17-year old drum nerds. We decided to use my ratty old 60’s Gretsch BDP 20, 12, 14 kit as a lab rat for our first attempt at a refin.

The insides were ratty, as well, and we decided that instead of guessing what Gretsch used on the insides, we’d just call the factory and ask. We were put in touch with a sweet, sweet woman who worked on the shop floor named Elaine. We told her what we were doing and in her grandmotherly southern drawl, she said, “Well honey, it’s just aluminum lacquer. Gimme your address and I’ll send y’all a little can of it.” What a sweetheart! And she did. It was perfect.

A few years later, I was at summer NAMM in Chicago and ran into a fella from my hometown who was repping for Gretsch. I told him my story about Elaine being such a sweetheart to a couple of little midwestern punks. He said, “I wonder if that was why she was fired(!).”

To this day, I pray that such a sweet woman didn’t lose her gig because she was so nice to us.
This was pre- .com era, right?

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
Guessing it was originally intended to cover up ugly inside plies.
I’ve had unfinished 50’s Gretsch maple shells that were absolutely beautiful. I’m thinking it was an effort to seal and stabilize the wood. There was a fence paint shop right down the street from Gretsch (Brooklyn)