header.nohb.html

What is Gretsch Silver Sealer?

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My bride and I toured the factory in January of 2020. We saw the outside of shells being sanded and painted, edges being cut, wrap being applied, holes being drilled and final assembly and packing. The application of silver sealer was behind a door.

Is it something mundane like fence paint? Likely yes, but I give them credit for keeping the legend of silver sealer intact. I'm going into work late today, for some odd reason I have this strange desire to stop for lunch at KFC on my way...

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
OT...but KFC has been brought up so what the heck?

For the book "Big Secrets" the author had a sample of the coating used to make original recipe KFC (provided by an accomplice who worked at a franchise) analyzed by a lab. They found flour, salt, pepper, and lots of MSG...and nothing else. The author surmised that the other advertised "secret" herbs and spices no doubt were added to the mix but in quantities that were too small to be detected, or likely tasted.

I recall that when I was a lad KFC chicken was the greatest thing ever but for the last 20 years or so not so much. I can't say whether that is due to changes they've made or me getting older.

Last edited:

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
For the book "Big Secrets" the author had a sample of the coating used to make original recipe KFC (provided by an accomplice who worked at a franchise) analyzed by a lab. They found flour, salt, pepper, and lots of MSG...and nothing else. The author surmised that the other advertised "secret" herbs and spices no doubt were added to the mix but in quantities that were too small to be detected, or likely tasted.

I recall that when I was a lad KFC chicken was the greatest thing ever but for the last 20 years or so not so much. I can't say whether that is due to changes they've made or me getting older.
I imagine, as well, that there were spices that were duplicated and or deleted with cost considerations (celery salt is, well, salt) and of course, if anyone remembers the KISS comic books that used “real blood” from the members of KISS, we’re talking ounces going into many gallons of ink! I would venture to say you could not get a good sample of DNA from one of those comic books. Just like those “other” spices. All I could taste was salt and pepper in KFC chicken; I would also get a serious bloat afterwards, no doubt attributed to the MSG. Ack.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
The modern formula is now from House of Kolor:

hkr-ss01q01_xl.jpg
That stuff is a REQUIREMENT if you’re painting bright colors on a goalie mask!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
attorneys for Gretsch are demanding a separate
"Slingerland Chocolate Milk"
formula thread or else subpoena's are ready to be issued; something about fair and balanced (it's vague
(we have 30 days to comply- who wants to start it

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
formula thread or else subpoena's are ready to be issued; something about fair and balanced (it's vague
If FMIC is involved even peripherally, we had better comply.

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
JDA....well, since I asked, I'll comply, we must be fair & balanced here on this forum.
(can't believe I read all 4 pages of this thread!!!)

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve had unfinished 50’s Gretsch maple shells that were absolutely beautiful. I’m thinking it was an effort to seal and stabilize the wood. There was a fence paint shop right down the street from Gretsch (Brooklyn)
Isn’t 1950’s pre-Jasper? Still think they were covering up unattractive inner plies.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still think they were covering up unattractive inner plies.
with what;

pre 56 3 P were natural inside (except for the last 1-2, 3P years (and not certain at that)
3P Brooklyn Rocket lug era (and a little bit after adoption of modern lug*) made -in house- 3P shells -were Clear inside-

* name "Stream-Lined casing"

Last edited:

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
Isn’t 1950’s pre-Jasper? Still think they were covering up unattractive inner plies.
Nobody(well yeah there was one guy)gave a rats derrière about the interior finish of drums in the 50’s.
It wasn’t until clear heads and no reso heads came along that interior shells became fashionable. Rogers and Gretsch both using 3 ply Jasper in the 50’s. My 9/10ths of a cent