What is it about remo coated ambassadors that..

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Make it the "go to", most popular, standard drum head.
Is it the coating, collar and type of plastic combo?

Ive played every drumhead made and they are all different.

Any thoughts? Just a equipment geek random question to get a conversation goi going while waiting for my Evans heads to arrive in the mail

:blackeye:

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My go to head. Ambassadors seem to bring out all frequencies and have a certain “twang” and life that other heads don’t have. Some don’t like it but it’s easy to control with dampening. They have such a great tonal range I have never found in any other head. To me; if a drum doesn’t sound good with a coated Ambassador it’s a drum not worth having.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Really? How did you like the RMV single ply coated batter?
Love them. Still do. I think they are by far the best sounding on my Slingerlands.

I was going for a vintage vibe ...mimicking the sounds of my heros from 1950s and 60s

Specifically Jimmy Cobb with Miles and the Full House album with Wes Montgomery and especially Cannonball Adderley quintet in Chicago.. i wonder if those are gretsch. Love his sound

I love that dry, woody tone

Last edited:

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A lot of it is familiarity, but I bet they tried different formulas until they found one that seemed to work best.
Coating is a big part of the differences between the brands I think. I've tired RMV, Aquarian, G1, they all feel slightly different. They also wear differently ( I don't even like a brand-new Ambassador that much).

I just read that Remo UK head use the same film as a regular Weatherking USA Ambassador but a different flesh hoop. Not sure if the coating is exactly the same). I'm getting a snare with a UK head on, planning to compare it to a US one. that should be informative as to what the hoop does to the sound. (Someone recently mentioned Ludwig heads sounded different because of a different hoop as well).

Vicey

Reaction score
I think it's because they've been around so long. They make a great, easily accessible, relatively inexpensive test head for snares. What a snare sounds like with a coated ambassador is what the drum sounds like in a natural state (for lack of a better term). They're not ported, or double ply, or have a sound dot, so in theory they let the drum sound like itself. I have snares that don't have ambassadors on them, but I want to know what they sound like with an ambassador first.

I agree about they're not sounding plasticy (which is now a word). That was my objection Evans heads for years, though I'm slowly trying out some of their newer stuff and usually liking it.

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A lot of talk about the sound (which I love: I tend to favor bright and lively) but really what I notice when I play any other head is that the "rate of return" is not the same for me. The other heads just don't feel as good to my hands. I seem to have to work harder.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Nice Bob Henrit tribute w/rare photogs

Remo was a drummer (I like to think as a fellow drummer he was "one of us"..had all drummers in mind had a drummers mind)
Could be/make a difference/
Scroll the drummers on this Twitter Media: line up

Last edited:

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice Bob Henrit tribute w/rare photogs

Remo was a drummer (I like to think as a fellow drummer he was "one of us"..had all drummers in mind had a drummers mind)
Could be/make a difference/
Scroll the drummers on this Twitter Media: line up
thanks, nice article, too bad it doesn't describe why its called a 'weatherking'. Just trivia.
I suspect durability, or maybe ability to play outside and get wet (unlike calf)?

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Coated ambassadors are still the “reference “ sound for me, but I can’t stand the break in amount of time. I switched to Evans a few years back, and they sound perfect right out of the box.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
For those who prefer Coated Ambassadors I suggest giving RMV a try.
I bought a ten-pack of these RMV Coated 14" batters for $63 shipped (!) and they're superb, incredible tonality, magnificent brush surface, coating lasts forever & doesn't even show wear after 6 months. Mindblowing. Made in Brazil. My new favorite snare batter.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For those who prefer Coated Ambassadors I suggest giving RMV a try.
I bought a ten-pack of these RMV Coated 14" batters for $63 shipped (!) and they're superb, incredible tonality, magnificent brush surface, coating lasts forever & doesn't even show wear after 6 months. Mindblowing. Made in Brazil. My new favorite snare batter.
Interesting, I'll have to give those a try. Seems like a hell of a deal. Especially if you're re-skinning a bunch of snares.

As far as Amb's go, I'll use them if the gig/session/vibe requires it. Personally though, I find Amb's a little paper-y sounding. I prefer vintage Emp's.

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
OK, I know it was Tiki Time Saturday at the ol' homestead today but what the heck is a RMV head?

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
thanks, nice article, too bad it doesn't describe why its called a 'weatherking'. Just trivia.
I suspect durability, or maybe ability to play outside and get wet (unlike calf)?
I think the Weatherking name was intended to imply that mylar heads aren’t affected by changes in temperature, humidity, etc. the way calf heads were.

Latest posts