What is the Best Wood Shell Snare Regardless of Cost

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mine is the Cleveland Powertone followed closely by my Gretsch 1960's maple snare

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I‘d say any DW X-Shell Maple Snare Drums or any Sonor SQ2 Heavy Maple Snare Drums. Either drum in 7”x14” is a winner in my book. I’m also looking forward to trying a Noble & Cooley Snare made of Tulip that I think will sound perfect too, but idk yet lol.

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Canopus Zelkova, one that’s not too expensive but a total sleeper is the Tama SLP Spotted Gum.

Last edited:

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I can only comment on wood drums I currently own - If I was forced to walk away with one it would be the Vaughncraft Maple - It just
fits right in to any style of playing
7x14 N&C Tulip
7x14 Magstar ( Keller ) Maple
6.5x14 Vaughncraft 1 ply Maple
6.5x14 Vaughcraft Zebra Wood
6x14 Mahogany Ply shell

Reaction score
New Solid= Longo Walnut 6x14 or 4.5x14 Cherry Longo
New Ply= Recording Custom 8x14 or Eames Master Model Select 6.5x14 or 4.5x14 Brady Jarrah Ply
Vintage Solid= 7" Radio King Cloud Badge
Vintage Ply= 8x15 WFL (for right now, maybe until I find the "right" 5" WFL)

Maple Ply Snares are just too vanilla for me. But The king of the vanilla (for me) is my 6.5 Pearl Orchestral with the triple strainer, but it's all about the strainer.

Joe, That DW that I have is a Maple-Mahogany (Ludwig Style Shell.)
That might be what you are looking for. I'm usually not a DW guy, but that drum sounds like a modern Jazz Fest or a WFL.

Shelf Long New.JPG

MSG

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like my Ludwig Legacy and Gretsch 4157. I've played a Pearl Standard (or Classic) maple on a house kit that was really nice as well.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to change my vote to Present.

Last edited:

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wenge? Is that real or are you just making stuff up? :)
From their web site.

Wenge is a particularly hard, dark African wood, often used in guitar manufacture. Indeed, it was the ability to draw on the company's expertise in guitar and piano making etc that enabled the drum division to move forward. Yamaha UK's Gavin Thomas explains that, "We found with the Phoenix that the majority of the sound vibrations come from the central ply.

"So [with the Absolute Hybrid] we wanted a dense musical wood with lots of resonance, [wenge] creating the majority of the tone and then softer wood [maple] outside to help that resonance - as it goes further out and loses energy it has less to push through."

Also this from Google...

What kind of wood is Wenge?
tropical

Wenge (/ˈwɛŋɡeɪ/ WENG-gay) is a tropical timber, very dark in color with a distinctive figure and a strong partridge wood pattern. The wood is heavy and hard, suitable for flooring and staircases. Several musical instrument makers employ wenge in their products.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
From their web site.

Wenge is a particularly hard, dark African wood, often used in guitar manufacture. Indeed, it was the ability to draw on the company's expertise in guitar and piano making etc that enabled the drum division to move forward. Yamaha UK's Gavin Thomas explains that, "We found with the Phoenix that the majority of the sound vibrations come from the central ply.

"So [with the Absolute Hybrid] we wanted a dense musical wood with lots of resonance, [wenge] creating the majority of the tone and then softer wood [maple] outside to help that resonance - as it goes further out and loses energy it has less to push through."

Also this from Google...

What kind of wood is Wenge?
tropical

Wenge (/ˈwɛŋɡeɪ/ WENG-gay) is a tropical timber, very dark in color with a distinctive figure and a strong partridge wood pattern. The wood is heavy and hard, suitable for flooring and staircases. Several musical instrument makers employ wenge in their products.
I really had looked but thought I'd mess around since it sounds so outlandish it had to be true

Whitten

Reaction score
I haven't played every high end wood drum by a long way, but I've owned and played quite a few (including Canopus Zelkova).
My top two are
1) N&C SS Classic Maple. I have 5" but most depths sound excellent.
2) Craviotto (limited) Black Cherry 6.5" - this is probably my favourite wood snare drum. It just sounds fantastic in any setting.

ToBBa

Reaction score
40's Radio king with Shell that's still round and has Fresh extended snare wires.