What is the Best Wood Shell Snare Regardless of Cost

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's all a bit relative but I have never personally had a drum as good as my Brady Sheoak block 12 x 7 ......(below) although I once had a solid Ironwood Spirit Drums 12 x 5.5 from Australia which might have been a great drum but they never sent all the hardware and heads at the time and in a huff I sold it on.....

21231344_10210407923262414_8602205870605221592_n.jpg

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's all a bit relative but I have never personally had a drum as good as my Brady Sheoak block 12 x 7 ......(below) although I once had a solid Ironwood Spirit Drums 12 x 5.5 from Australia which might have been a great drum but they never sent all the hardware and heads at the time and in a huff I sold it on.....

View attachment 491975
I like how your’s has the logo burnt into it, not that cheesy metal one on most of them. I guess you’re in the Steve Jordan and Larry Mullen Jr. club

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
"What is the best wood snare regardless of cost?"

I'm never comfortable with the word "best", I'll list my current "favorite" instead. Of course narrowing it down to one is really difficult for me. I liked how nomsgmusic listed four, giving modern, vintage, solid and ply examples, so I did the same. If you sent me into my practice room this morning to fetch my four favorites, this is what I'd bring back.

This is my opinion this morning, I might give you a different answer next week. (And likely will...)

New Solid (new-ish?) = 2011 Gretsch USA Stanton Moore Signature 4.5" X 14" single ply Birdseye maple.

New Ply = 2019 Gretsch USA Custom 4.5" X 14" six ply maple/gum.

Vintage Solid= Late fifties/early sixties Slingerland Radio King 5.5" X 14" single ply maple.

Vintage Ply= Early sixties Gretsch Round Badge Progressive Jazz 4" X 14" six ply maple/gum

All of my choices are on the shallower side today.

Last edited:

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Canopus Zelkova, one that’s not too expensive but a total sleeper is the Tama SLP Spotted Gum.
I have to agree on the Spotted Gum. It doesn't ring too much; perfect amount of dryness, and it delivers solid body throughout its excellent tuning range, all while being sensitive and versatile.

halldorl

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Canopus Zelkova, one that’s not too expensive but a total sleeper is the Tama SLP Spotted Gum.
10 years from now, my guess is people will be paying big bucks for the SLP Spotted Gum. It won´t be around for many years and it´s simply that good.

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to agree on the Spotted Gum. It doesn't ring too much; perfect amount of dryness, and it delivers solid body throughout its excellent tuning range, all while being sensitive and versatile.

10 years from now, my guess is people will be paying big bucks for the SLP Spotted Gum. It won´t be around for many years and it´s simply that good.
I got one last week and it’s blowing me away.

259BB629-B148-4337-8BB4-84648505E09F.jpeg

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Corder 5x14 COW using a Jasper maple shell.
cd1.jpg

Last edited:

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got two favorite wood drums:
8X14 Eames (uncertain of model) - only snare my band members ask for when it's not at my kit.
4X14 wood Premier Royal Ace - works for every kind of music, great bottom even though it's a 4" deep snare

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
There’s a lot of love for the Canopus Zelkova, and they are certainly nice drums. But I just wanted to say that I had the chance to play one and potentially buy it (in person trade with a DFO friend) and it didn’t knock my socks off. It was very nice but not to the point where I wanted to own it. It’s a good example of a drum that sells for more than my personal price cap, that would be nice to have but I don’t need to spend for when there are so many special sounding wood snares for so much less. That’s not everyone’s view, for sure, but it’s mine.

halldorl

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s a lot of love for the Canopus Zelkova, and they are certainly nice drums. But I just wanted to say that I had the chance to play one and potentially buy it (in person trade with a DFO friend) and it didn’t knock my socks off. It was very nice but not to the point where I wanted to own it. It’s a good example of a drum that sells for more than my personal price cap, that would be nice to have but I don’t need to spend for when there are so many special sounding wood snares for so much less. That’s not everyone’s view, for sure, but it’s mine.
I played one and absolutely loved it. However I would not buy one since where I live we have a very dry climate and I know of at least one Zelkova that has cracked due to very dry climate. Solid hollowed out drums are sensitive to climate. The now defunkt Spirit drums from Australia who made solid, hollowed out drums were also prone to cracking.

halldorl

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This drum has a tendency to creep back up on my snare stand. Tama Star Single ply Maple 6.5x14”. Kinda my go to snare drum. At recording sessions it tends to be the one most used although I start out with other snares. It just always delivers no matter the style of music.

422C5CD1-904E-4739-B637-AC453C17DB68.jpeg

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been in a bit of a maple kick lately . Rediscovering how great maple is for snare drums and drums sets .

Attachments