What is the dumbest wrap finish by a major drum company?

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually really like Butcher Block, but I am not a fan of Black Oyster. I know it’s weird.
I've had two Rogers butcher block sets and I did respect using a wood motif that no one would mistake for actual wood. There was honesty inherent in it looking SO fake.

As for mesazoo, how dare you! First, it's not a wrap. Second, it's fabulous. My wife and son are artists and they have promised to do a faux marble finish on some of my drums.

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to not like Black Panther 'til the story got around that it was used to cover over unpopular color-wrapped shells that Ludwig was stuck with...now I think of it like the Beatles Yesterday and Today 'butcher cover" lying under some random copy with the paste-over...the right Black Panther could turn out to be a rare wrap now considered collectible!

View attachment 503033
I absolutely LOVE this matte black style!
It looks great in contrast to the hardware.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Unquestionably, it's when Ludwig fell in love with L.A. Ink "star" tattooist Cory Miller and launched a fugly Cory Miller signature drum kit the year before L.A. Ink went off the air and we all remembered Cory Miller isn't even a drummer.

I hope heads rolled in Ludwig's corporate suite after this debacle.

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Unquestionably, it's when Ludwig fell in love with L.A. Ink "star" tattooist Cory Miller and launched a fugly Cory Miller signature drum kit the year before L.A. Ink went off the air and we all remembered Cory Miller isn't even a drummer.

I hope heads rolled in Ludwig's corporate suite after this debacle.

While incredibly ugly, even sets like this have a niche. If anyone liked it they could buy it in full confidence that it would match all 15 of their Ed Hardy shirts.

Last edited:

2and4

Reaction score
I have to say, I really don't mind this for what it is, but it is the first finish that came to mind when I saw this thread.
i3uirvtxkxcyqzbdmkvl-2491844179.jpg

Hop

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ludwig did a lot of questionable things but I truly doubt that happened. For one thing they would buy their wood already cut into thin veneers by their suppliers and would not have the equipment in house to shave boards from shipping pallets into usable thicknesses for shell making. My guess is that story originated as an exageration/joke along the lines of "heck we were so behind we were making drums out of pallets". Even under the white paint the interiors were always either mahogany or maple. The poplar cores may well have been some pretty crappy wood to look at but they were usually careful to dress it up between very thin, but decent looking, mahogany and/or maple.

Perhaps it is true (who was your source?) but seems doubtful to me. And I am one who realizes that Ludwig was a factory, churning out product as fast and as cheaply as they could get away with. This story would push that to the extreme though.

Just my opinion.

To buttress your statement K.O., consider the dimensions of the wood components that make up a pallet. Typical pallets are 36", 40" and 48" inches, therefore the greatest attribute of the stringers and deck-boards is their length. Even if Ludwig had the machinery to shave the wood down to veneer width, they would have been to small to be of any use for popular sized drums & kits.
A 14" drum has circumference of ~44", a 16" drum has the circumference of ~50", a 22" has the circumference of ~69", etc...
So outside of some narrow snare drums (piccolo), recycling pallet wood into poplar center cores would have no practical purpose even for the most frugal of managers.

el_37

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
To buttress your statement K.O., consider the dimensions of the wood components that make up a pallet. Typical pallets are 36", 40" and 48" inches, therefore the greatest attribute of the stringers and deck-boards is their length. Even if Ludwig had the machinery to shave the wood down to veneer width, they would have been to small to be of any use for popular sized drums & kits.
A 14" drum has circumference of ~44", a 16" drum has the circumference of ~50", a 22" has the circumference of ~69", etc...
So outside of some narrow snare drums (piccolo), recycling pallet wood into poplar center cores would have no practical purpose even for the most frugal of managers.

Jack Lawton has said that he has seen plastic used as the inner ply on some 1960's Ludwig shells. That is about the craziest that I have heard regarding Ludwig shells.