What is the "hands down" best sounding Ludwig snare?

LRod1707

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know sound is subjective but I'd like to know what you personally think. What do you consider is the "hands down" best sounding Ludwig snare?
Doesn't matter the year, material, size, etc.. I just want to know what you believe is your holy grail of Ludwig snares!
To make things fair, you must have had some personal interaction with your choice. Meaning, you owned (own) it, you played it or heard it in person etc..
"Both of these models sound the best but in a different way" doesn't count!
You must have heard ONE that beats all the others!
Sound clips don't count because that's different than hearing it live!
For me so far it's been my 8x14 Hammered Bronze. I own other Ludwig's and have heard others that I don't own and none seem to match this one. It's perfection to my ears until something else (if it exists) beats it:

Hammered_bronze.jpg

Last edited:

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My first reaction was to say “always the Ludwig snare you don’t own yet” ;) but I’ll play.

The best one I owned was the 6.5x14 hammered bronze. I sold it though, and don’t own any ludwigs currently. To my ears, cast bronze trumps them all.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My playing of Ludwig snares goes way back into the early 70's. I owned a 5x14 Super Sensitive B/O Badge Chrome, a COB 1960 Supra, 5x14 70's Acrolite, Ludwig COW 5" snare, Ludwig BB Super Sensitive 5" snare, Ludwig Hamerred Bronze Supra 5", Ludwig Hammered Bronze Super Sensitive 5", Ludwig Satinwood 5", Ludwig Natural Maple Snare 5", Ludwig Mahogany Finish 5", Ludwig Orange Peel 80's Acrolite and a Reissue 6.5" B/O 10 LUG Acrolite. The Best sounding snares of this whole lot is the Hammered Bronze Supra 5 x 14" and the Reissue Acrolite 6.5" 10 Lug. Both of those drums give me warmth and the dryness I am most drawn too.

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ludwig brass snares (20s and 30s, late 50s and early 70s) and many different maple solid shell snares. I prefer Slingerland (all eras) and NC. I do have many mid to late 30s Leedy maple solid shell snares and even tho I love them they are not on the list sound wise but on the list in every other way.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll put my CM 13x3 piccolo in here.

It is somewhat limited in range and most would probably not say it's the best Ludwig snare, however it is quite good at what it does. The best sounding piccolo maybe? It can give you a wonderful dry crack sound if tuned way up, almost like a marching snare without choking out. Tuned medium or low and it sounds quite good and more like a normal snare. It looks fantastic as well with a beautiful finish and tube lugs.

Reaction score
Sorry to be "that guy" but...

Black Beauty.JPG

I should have a better picture, but (as I have said before,) NOTHING and I mean NOTHING (!!!!) sounds like vintage Ludwig Nickel Over Brass (NOB.)

The construction of the extra metal folded over to create the closed chamber bearing edges, the overlap in the middle... It's just a GREAT sounding drum. No matter of style, genre, player, whatever... There is a reason that these drums have been coveted by hundreds of PLAYERS to be PLAYED on thousands of recordings.

The 6.5's might even sound better, and I have a 6.5 (plain) NOB that is actually the answer to the question (but the above drum is nicer to look at.)

NOB's.JPG

Those 6.5's are so GREAT sounding that I have two! One is a one piece Slingerland, and one is...

A two piece 6.5x14 Ludwig NOB Black Beauty without the black (or with the black.)

Which is the (simple) answer to the question.,
MSG

paulwells73

Reaction score
I have a 400 and a hammered bronze 402. I love them both, but my ultimate Ludwig snare would be the 400 with the warmth of the hammered bronze 402. So, I clearly need to get a hammered bronze 400!

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've owned and performed on many and found them to be inconsistent , but the good ones were definitely good . OK , so the two that stand out in my memory were -

Ludwig B/O 5x14 aluminum Supraphonic . Picked it up at a place called Trash and Treasure in Arnprior ,Ontario for 40 bucks . Tune it up, tune it down , any head combo and it would sound and feel just right . The Ludwig tooth fairy sprinkled it with magic before it left the factory . Loaned it to a friend and he took off to New Brunswick , snare and all . Nice fellow who used to ' find ' things before they were lost . RIP Vic , all is forgiven .

Ludwig Classic Maple 5x14 , blue sheer stain, early 90's . Just like a Toyota Corolla , it got you wherever you wanted to go . Reliable and dependable . Don't know what happened to that one , but it's long gone . Might have come up short on the Hydro bill or something like that .

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited: