What is the "hands down" best sounding Ludwig snare?

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have two that tie for the best sound in my collection. One is a 23ish Ludwig 5x14 8 lug, heavy two piece brass shell. The other is a 84ish Ludwig bronze 10 lug Supra. Wish the Supra was an 8 lug too.

Mike
I don't know how long it's been out but Ludwig is currently making an 8 lug Black Beauty. #LB415. Definitely sounds more distinct than the 10 lug BB.

Last edited:

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what that drum is, but I always feel bad when this occurs to people. I had a regret, but I sold it to a friend who was kind enough to trade a kit with me so I could get it back.
That was a late 20’s two piece shell, ten lugger.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2009 five inch deep Black Beauty that I like a lot. For several years it was my primary snare drum for every gig. Currently it is fitted with a Remo Vintage Ambassador batter and Canopus Vintage Dry snare wires.

I also have a five inch deep Brass Edition (Chrome over Brass) Suraphonic, a six and half inch deep Black Beauty, a five inch deep Supraphonic, and a six and a half inch deep Copper Phonic. They are all good drums, the 5" BB just speaks to me.

Which brings me to this, I can't think of a Ludwig snare that don't like. That might be the tougher question. B)

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Fortunately they make great snares a
Presently it’s a Chicago LB550K.
Reflecting more, it’s actually the 453 even going up against a Deluxe, both Supers, and all the other great ones. If I could only have one snare that is it. It’s sound and ease of play help me perform at a level above the others.

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd have to say that out of all the Ludwig snares I currently have, my favorite right now is this prototype 6.5x14 black chrome (not nickel) Bronze Beauty with single flange hoops. I just love the sound of this thing! It does everything well.

20210404_155044.jpg

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Carl Palmer Venus.
Too bad I had to send it back because of the infamous throw issue.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Carl Palmer Venus.
Too bad I had to send it back because of the infamous throw issue.
I'd like to hear more about the Venus snare because it doesn't seem to get much attention around here even thought it's my understanding that the original throw issue has since been resolved.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
If I have to pick one, it's the 1920s NOB. Bright like what you would expect from brass, but with a lot of body underneath. More of everything.
The second one right now would be a 60s 400, that's home base for me. I might be interested in comparing these two to an 8-lug 5x14 BB. Borrowed a 5" BB with 10 tube lugs once that was great.
The deeper ones such as the 402 sound great, too, but at the moment I seek mostly brighter, snappier sounds.

boomstick

Reaction score
Well, the first time I learned what a Supra was, I was in a used drum shop, hitting all the snares. I didn't know what it was, but I hit this rough looking one with the chrome finish all messed up. It sounded great, and when I said so to the shop owner, he told me the whole history. So I'd have to say that is the one that made the biggest impression on me.

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I vote Supraphonic. Any year, as long as the hoops are thinner, older 1.6mm.

I’ve had several 60’s and 70’s and they all make the right noise.

wayneonthedrums

Reaction score
As I’ve said before here this is the last snare drum I would ever get rid of.
View attachment 493121
I’m so pleased to see this as I couldn’t agree more. I almost feel bad as I have dozens of others many of which are far more expensive, fancier or revered. Sound wise though this is the one for me and is generally the first on the stand and would be the very last to leave my collection.
19F05B7A-4B8E-40BB-97B2-96B06D38291C.jpeg