What is the "hands down" best sounding Ludwig snare?

cruddola

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The absolute best-sounding Ludwig snare drum is always the one you don't have! The next best one is the one you currently have, followed by the one Ludwig has yet to make.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here it is, my next "hands down" best sounding Ludwig snare, LOL!! Just arrived today. 8x14 Black beauty, definitely a beauty!
Strange that all my Ludwig snares have arrived in their boxes wrapped in plastic. This one came wrapped in a nice cloth bag.
No crooked badge on this one, LOL!!

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Congratulations.

That’ll put some mojo in your backbeat for sure.

LRod, I think you’re a pilot, correct? I’m sure you have the necessary skills to land that thing.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That makes how 8X14's you own now Larry
4?
Is your WFL III an 8X14? I forget..

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That makes how 8X14's you own now Larry
4?
Is your WFL III an 8X14? I forget..
Yep, 4! The WFL, Super Brass, Bronzephonic and the Black Beauty.
Now I await your eloquent rebuttal Joe, Lol!!

davidheinke

Reaction score
I’ve got a 6.5x14 millennium snare (2001) that has the most amazing recorded “thwack” that has ever existed, and is still decently sensitive. I mean, it’s basically a BB with die cast hoops, but that thing is nice. NICE. It’s a little loud if you’re, say, practicing in a small room, but it sounds great all the time, even untuned.

Shawn Martin

Reaction score
I'd like to hear more about the Venus snare because it doesn't seem to get much attention around here even thought it's my understanding that the original throw issue has since been resolved.
the only Ludwig snare I currently own (I had several in the past) is a Carl Palmer Venus. Luckily mine is one after they fixed the throwoff problem and I LOVE this drum. It has a very wide tuning range, especially for a shallow drum. Even with the throwoff fixed, I wish there was an alternative throw I could use. I don’t like any Ludwig throwoffs

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another incredibly good sounding Ludwig snare!
8x14 Raw Copperphonic:

I do like and gravitate towards that 8 inch deep Copperphonic—especially at the upper tuning.

One question, though: I’m 5’-4”. Is this snare like one of those rides at the State Fair where I have to be a certain height to ride/play?