What is the least amount or drum cymbals you could play with?

Swamptrashstompboxes

Reaction score
I can get by with two toms, a snare, hats ride and a single crash.

I see some with only one tom and hats and two rides or a ride and a bigger crash.

What is your minimum?

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve done a few gigs with just a bass drum, snare and hats. Add a ride cymbal and that’s a setup I’ve used quite often. I really like that setup; it’s challenging and pushes me to get creative.

Ely

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
With the band I’m in currently I have played a gig with just a snare once and survived. Normally I play just kick snare and hats but for the bigger shows I’ll add a floor tom and a ride.

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The minimum I have done is bass, snare, hats, +1 multi purpose cymbal.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
I got to a blue festival (Beanblossom, IN) and the back line kit hadn't arrived, so I played 15" new Beats, a BB and our Rubbermaid T shirt tote. We took out the shirts but it lost low end, put them back in and taped my Ghost to it. The sound man had it sounding great and the crowd liked that we soldiered on.

(my first 'gig' 1963, I played a Ludwig Downbeat snare and a Zildjian 18" ride.
playing on the roller rink of the local Girl's Club, a bass, guitarist and I played the same 3 surf rock tunes over and over for an hour)

Last edited:

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A standard jazz set would be a ride, hi hat, snare and bass drum. Ive done rehearsals with a snare or phonebook.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Snare and hats, but I've done a pizza box and brushes once, and on more than a few times I've had to make do with a snare drum and brushes. I prefer bass drum, snare drum, ride and hats, and when I want to really go big, a 1up/1down with left and right side rides and hats.

Swamptrashstompboxes

Reaction score
After further consideration I could get by with a bass, snare, one tom, hats, and one other cymbal. Or just a single ride with rivits and no hats.

I really get inspired using the least can so i am forced to be more creative

drumdevil9

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Depends on the band and music of course but if it's a full plugged-in band playing pop/rock I like to have a 4-piece with a couple of cymbals at least. I could probably lose the floor tom and I have done that but it was for space concerns.

If it's an acoustic gig I can do kick/snare/hats/ride.

drumdevil9

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Snare and hats, but I've done a pizza box and brushes once, and on more than a few times I've had to make do with a snare drum and brushes. I prefer bass drum, snare drum, ride and hats, and when I want to really go big, a 1up/1down with left and right side rides and hats.
I'd love to hear the story behind the pizza box gig.

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
Bass drum, snare drum, one mounted tom, one floor tom, hi-hats, two crash/rides (one on each side for open-handed playing). This configuration has served me well for many years and for many styles of music. I prefer smaller dimension drums such as 20-12-14 with 5x14 wooden snare, 14" A Zildjian hats, 18" and 20" A Zildjian cymbals.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'd love to hear the story behind the pizza box gig.
Private party. A few folks showed up with acoustic guitars and all I had in my car was a stick bag with sticks, mallets and brushes. The brushes worked perfectly on the pizza box. Seriously, I doubt I could have gotten a better feel or more perfect projection from a real drum.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I have played an after gig party on a guitar case with brushes sorta Cajon style before I knew what one was. Have played a few gigs just snare and brushes....but my preferred minimum would be Kick, Snare, Hats and crash ride. I really could cover most of my gigs that way, toms are a nice add on though and make the gig more fun for me.

Dave HCV

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've played with as little as snare, hi-hat, and ride. Realistically, though, it depends on the style(s) of music to be played and the expectations of the band leader and the audience with respect to sounding like what they expect to hear. Playing Latin ballroom dance music without a cowbell would be lacking (but not impossible). Playing Sing, Sing, Sing with my big band using only a snare drum is not something I would want to do. As with any other professional, we drummers should bring to the gig the tools we need to perform the work at hand in accordance with what is asked of us.