What is the mid 60's 22/12/12/16 Ludwig configuration called?

zulusound

Reaction score
It's not also a Hollywood kit, is it?

I'm selling a 1966 Ludwig blue oyster and would like to know what to call it.

Thanks!

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
1967 catalog Hollywood was 12 and 13 mounted toms.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a twin tom 12/12/ 20" bass/ 16 bought used in 1968.
with that 781 adjustable Clip with the wood block in the middle DT holder.
(my very first set (supra) (guess it was a Hollywood w/ 20" bass.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Why two tom the same size? Odd......I would think the left one would be tuned higher always (generally) so it makes sense it evolved to a 12/13 setup.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Why two tom the same size? Odd......I would think the left one would be tuned higher always (generally) so it makes sense it evolved to a 12/13 setup.
I think the symmetrical appearance was more important at the time than the tuning differential. It's not that hard to get a low and high tuning out of two 12" drums (especially when they tended to be tuned pretty high to start with) but they do look slicker with both being the same size, particularly when you factor in that in Ludwig's case a 12 and 13 tom used different sized lugs.

My guess is that at some point Ludwig noticed a trend in drummers ordering a "Hollywood" set but requesting a 13 in place of the second 12 and, eventually, fell in line with the marketplace with others following suit, and getting to charge a bit more for the outfit as well.

Last edited:

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
Love to see a photo or two of the 66 Oyster Blue set you are selling! Can you post ?

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
The early Ludwig, Slingerland and Gretsch double tom mounts didn't allow for individual height adjustments. If they used two different sizes, they wouldn't line up.
The early Rogers headliner setup allowed for individual adjustments, but they used two 12s anyway; guessing to keep up with the other companies.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
The early Ludwig, Slingerland and Gretsch double tom mounts didn't allow for individual height adjustments. If they used two different sizes, they wouldn't line up.
That's a great point.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think the manufacturer's were just thinking " the guys (drummers out there) want another drum" not hmm tonal textural differences. heck if they thought (texturally) then they would have done the 9x13 sooner and made more $$. They just thought you wanted 'another drum..

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
I think the symmetrical appearance was more important at the time than the tuning differential. It's not that hard to get a low and high tuning out of two 12" drums (especially when they tended to be tuned pretty high to start with) but they do look slicker with both being the same size, particularly when you factor in that in Ludwig's case a 12 and 13 tom used different sized lugs.

My guess is that at some point Ludwig noticed a trend in drummers ordering a "Hollywood" set but requesting a 13 in place of the second 12 and, eventually, fell in line with the marketplace with others following suit, and getting to charge a bit more for the outfit as well.
I agree. When someone added the second rail mount on my 65 Ludwig set they also added a second 13 inch one. The two 13 inch toms look symmetrical...