What is the most unusual kit you've played? rare, famous, unusual set up, etc.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This doesnt have to be one you owned. Maybe you got to sit behind a famous drummers kit at a clinic or show. Just looking for some interesting stories because I know you guys have been around lots of drums. Thanks,

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Several ... the one that usually comes to mind - I owned one of Larrie Londin's complete kits for a period. It was a pretty cool kit. The drums weren't as "cutting edge and perfect" as one would assume. They were working tools that did an outstanding job of making some really neato noise.
There are others ... but that one always stays in the front of my mind for some reason.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
I got to visit John Aldridge/the drum scratch when he was in Nashville and I was there for business....he let me sit behind his radio kings with 20s black beauty. Great drums. great guy.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
I’m in a band with four other men, all of them about 20 years older than I, and we rehearse in the basement of our keyboardist. He’s actually a multi-instrumentalist, and I’m often able to play drums on his own set.

For years he worked in local music shops. Back in 1969 when Joe Morello was in town to perform, Joe came into his shop needing to borrow a cymbal to play on that night. My friend attended the show, then bought that cymbal from the shop the next morning, just so he could own a cymbal once played by Joe Morello.

I am thrilled to say that cymbal has been out once or twice when I’ve sat down to his kit, so I'm fortunate to have played it too. Again this was 1969, and I’m told it’s a Paiste 602 medium-thin crash, which Joe used primarily as a ride, and sounded fantastic from the audience.

Last edited:

Ghostin one

Reaction score
Gretsch Defender with the tackhead resonant side heads and wooden lugs. It was in a junk pile in a music store I used to work at.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Back when I worked for a concert promoter I helped mic & soundcheck a few artists kits before their performances.
Sometimes I was asked by the FOH engineer to tap out a simple beat for EQing purposes, etc. while the artists were away at dinner or the hotel.

Steve Smith's Journey Sonor kit
Leonard Haze Blue Sparkle Ludwigs (Y&T)
Slim Jim 2pc Gretsch rig from Stray Cats
Mickey Curry's Hall & Oates rig
Bruce Gary was a friend, got to bang on his Ludwig & Gretsch kits

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I didn't PLAY it, but I remember my first trip to the Hard Rock in Vegas - they had instruments in the slots area on top of banks of machines, as well as little TV's. One of Pete Townsend's Gibsons and the tv showing him playing it. But what really made me smile was an orange mod Ludwig kit "owned" by John Densmore and the little TV showing him playing it....not sure if true, but very cool if it was! For you yutes, he was The Doors' drummer! I met him once later - nice guy!

I also remember seeing Rush at Irvine Meadows and right after the show, I ran up to the stage to see if maybe I could get a drum stick. I didn't ask and nobody offered but I got to sit and watch them tear down Neil's kit and bring out all of these large "RUSH" stage cases.....I thought that was very cool, too. Vapor Trails tour if I recall.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
First time I sat behind an electronic kit ... very weird

Multi roto tom set up . I actually had fun with that one .

davidh

Reaction score
back in 73 I played the Ludwig 402 used in all the Bowie & Spiders of Mars stuff by Woody Woodmansey..
with the Hayman set he had before the Ludwigs owned by the production company..

Bullseye_Doc_Holiday

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A couple years back I auditioned with a band (got offered the gig, but declined. Guys just weren't my vibe) a few years back and they told me that the house across the street belonged to Morgan Rose's (Sevendust drummer) mom and that the tour bus used to pull up and drop Morgan off there. Don't know if it's true, but that's what they said.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Coolest rare color set was a Slingerland in Turquoise Veil with matching Radio King.
Had one of Sonny Greer's knob tension floor toms, Louie Bellson's Slingerland 2 to 1 snare and one of his Pearl Extender floor toms.
louis3.jpg

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
My 1975 or 1976 Ludwig Vistalites have the original and super-rare sound projectors like these http://www.rustydrums.co.uk/ludwig-late-70s-sound-projector-two-outfit.html.

I caught a drum stick from Tomas Haake of Meshuggah this year. Fun to be in the front row for that show.

I've also been giving sticks after shows by the drummers of 1349, Year of the Cobra and Basilica.

Last edited:

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I bought a 70's engraved Black Beauty from Joe Morello in the 90's when I took lessons from him. It definitely has that mojo. And in a strange twist, I provided backline for The Pete Best Band in 2007, so Pete played my Yamaha kit and Roeg used my cymbals on the house kit.

Dan

Latest posts