What is the most unusual kit you've played? rare, famous, unusual set up, etc.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
But what really made me smile was an orange mod Ludwig kit "owned" by John Densmore and the little TV showing him playing it....not sure if true, but very cool if it was! For you yutes, he was The Doors' drummer! I met him once later - nice guy!
Unfortunately not true. I have been following John's mod orange downbeat since the 80's trying to figure out where it went. I found out about the hard rock having the set in the late 90's and when I saw the set, It was a Hollywood set from 1968. John played a downbeat from 1967. I actually located the 14" floor tom and know who owns it and wrote an article on the set for NSMD. From that article I even managed to find out who gave the hard rock that set and it was not John. I actually suspect that the hard rock set may have been used in the Doors movie with Val Kilmer as it looks like a Hollywood set in the movie. The strange thing is that the Hard Rock as a 20" Doors logo head that IS a head that was on the original set. It's a 20" head. All the hard rock would have to do is put that head up near the bass drum from the set they have and see that the head is two inches smaller as the set they have has a 22" bass drum. :roll:

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's easy, and it was just the other week—forum member Houndog's mostly? vintage Slingerland kit, which is set up left handed but is playable right-handed. This is achieved, I think, by a remote hi-hat and a left-handed double bass pedal, which is itself a rare piece! Everything else is simply reversed.

The drums sound incredible, by the way.

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
Not owned by anyone famous but I practiced on a 5 piece 1941 Avalon Pearl swing sensation 7X14 ,11,13,16,26 th&c set for 8 months. It still sits in the basement in its old canvas bags. I play the snare from time to time.

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
Drum shop had a Gold Sparkle ‘60-ish Slingy with 2 rails and 12/12/20fl/22, so a roll went “dap dap *THWOCK*”. Even weirder was a customer saw it and brought in a “Swingin Sounds For Makin’ Love To Your Old Lady By” kind of compilation album, and there was another of that same kit on the back cover. Different wrap, though I don’t remember what it was. But we couldn’t believe they made more than one.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Met Big Country drummer Mark Brzezicki in the early 80s when they were on tour and got to play his kit for one song during sound check so he could hear how the drums sounded out front. The tune was a ballad that they were working on at the time that eventually became Girl With Grey Eyes. Over the years I've been around and behind lots of other professionals' kits, but never ever touch anything.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Met Big Country drummer Mark Brzezicki in the early 80s when they were on tour and got to play his kit for one song during sound check so he could hear how the drums sounded out front.
THAT is a very cool experience. I would love to have had that one. I've always loved Mark's playing. Just a fun energetic guy behind that kit.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
Opening for the Bellamy Brothers I played their drummer's kit. Power toms with the heads de-tuned for pitch bend, they had horseshoe-shaped wrinkles in the heads at the two closest lugs. They sounded great and he had three monitors, lead vocals, band instruments and the drums.
Opening for Anson Funderburgh, I've played Wes Starr's Fibes kit.
Once, when the back line was late at a blues festival, I played my BB, 15"New Beats and a Rubbermaid T-shirt tote for a kick, it sounded fine mic'd up.

LBCD

Reaction score
Played on a DW backline kit a few years ago at a festival in SoCal. The kit was owned by Vinnie Appice and he played it with Heaven and Hell. I believe he sold it to the sound company...nice kit with a diagonal wood grain.
C4AD9675-84F3-40C7-9910-D75048FD6C40.jpeg

E118CBC4-18AF-438E-A2A2-62BD0C88DE89.jpeg

Last edited:

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Without a doubt, it would have to be Gary Chester's Gold Sparkle Ludwig kit that he actually used recording many of the hits from the 60's. I studied with Gary for 2 yrs., '82 & '83 and this was the kit he had set up for his students in his studio. I distinctly recall that it was a very comfortable setup to play on...probably because Gary and I were about the same height and build. They sounded amazing...12,13 up and 16R, 16L down...Supra snare.

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I didn't get to play it but I did sit behind Alex Van Halen's 5150 kit @ Key Arena in Seattle. A few days earlier, Edward sat in for a couple of songs with my dads band and someone in their entourage gave everyone in the band tickets to the Seattle show. Somehow my dad also got backstage passes. The two of us got to go on stage a couple of hours before the show. I wasn't allowed to hit anything, but it was a cool experience. Simmons pads everywhere and his cymbals seemed like they were all out of my reach. Here is a photo of Ed, Joe Brasch and my dad with his white Rogers kit. Spokane WA, fall of 86

Attachments

Last edited:

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Man, yinz guys have much more exciting lives than me, the closest I've ever gotten to anything famous drum wise was being around various drummers kits and clinics...I sat literally 3 feet from the edge of the stage at a Gadd clinic in 2005 or so and was easily able to reach out and grab his bass drum spur. That's all I got....

rayboomboom

Reaction score
In the early 80's I got to sound check Mel Taylor's drums, from The Ventures. The band wasn't there and they just needed someone to do a quick check. Probably this kit:
https://flic.kr/p/7TNo97
I got up behind the drum set and couldn't believe what I was looking at. All the toms had Kotex Maxi pads on the heads as muffling! The 'drum tech' said Mel liked them because you'd just peel the paper off and they would stick to the heads, real easy to use. I played a pretty goofy version of a surf beat and got a good laugh from everyone. But it was pretty cool to play his kit for a few moments. And they kicked ass! Great band. We danced our asses off that night.

Also in the 80's I was inspired by a kit Louie Belson used on an album that was all Roto Toms. I had a 14" for a rack tom and 16" and 18" for floor toms and set them up with my 22" kick and my snare. I used it in a punk/ new wave band for a while. They didn't project worth crap and I had no mics at the time, so I sold them pretty quickly. But it was a lot of fun.

Latest posts