header.nohb.html

What is The Most Versatile Zildjian Ride Out There?

CC Cirillo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Soooooo, I was going to question your logic on the 22" based on your above statement.... then I read the line about the cymbal bag and thought "eeehhh, that makes sense".

But seriously, you've never played a 22"?
I should have worded that better. Never played a 22 out at a gig or recorded with one. Have access to a 22 old A in the rehearsal studio and it’s a good cymbal but just doesn’t grab me for some reason.

That one, and the few I’ve demoed at stores have an undertone wobble sound to them I don’t like. At least that big A does. Having played 20s for 98% of my drum time over the span of years, I suppose I am overly attuned to the sound and tensions of 20s. Foolish to base my opinion of 22s on just a few cymbals.

I do have a 21” Sabian HH RBDR that is a great cymbal, so I’m only an inch away from the world of 22 inchers. I have numerous rides—18, 19, and a harem of 20s, plus that one 21—all keepers-- too many when that one simple K might suffice.
There is a side of my brain that has shut down to new cymbal acquisitions for now, and that side of my brain is linked to my wallet.

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
20 K con Medium?
50s 20 A Zildjian?
I have a 20 K Con Medium. Extremely versatile cymbal. And I recently acquired a 21 A Avedis (the remake of the 50's A's) that is also extremely versatile. I'd say those are my two most versatile ride cymbals. I bought both of them from Memphis Drum Shop, so here are the videos they did of my exact cymbals in case it helps...

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should have worded that better. Never played a 22 out at a gig or recorded with one. Have access to a 22 old A in the rehearsal studio and it’s a good cymbal but just doesn’t grab me for some reason.

That one, and the few I’ve demoed at stores have an undertone wobble sound to them I don’t like. At least that big A does. Having played 20s for 98% of my drum time over the span of years, I suppose I am overly attuned to the sound and tensions of 20s. Foolish to base my opinion of 22s on just a few cymbals.

I do have a 21” Sabian HH RBDR that is a great cymbal, so I’m only an inch away from the world of 22 inchers. I have numerous rides—18, 19, and a harem of 20s, plus that one 21—all keepers-- too many when that one simple K might suffice.
There is a side of my brain that has shut down to new cymbal acquisitions for now, and that side of my brain is linked to my wallet.
LOL... makes sense now!

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 20 K Con Medium. Extremely versatile cymbal. And I recently acquired a 21 A Avedis (the remake of the 50's A's) that is also extremely versatile. I'd say those are my two most versatile ride cymbals.
There, I was looking for someone to mention the Avedis series. I would probably be hard pressed to choose between the standard K ride and the Avedis ride in whatever size the OP feels most comfortable with. This is assuming we are only looking at rides being made today. If used is an option, there are a ton of GREAT old As out there (I have 3 or more) that do it all.

mzd

Reaction score
Another vote for the 22 K Ride. The 22 has a little more wash than the 20 and, imo, this makes it more versatile. I own both sizes btw.

(Though there was an EAK 20 posted for sale recently, and based on the sound in the video file, it could sway me to the 20, but my bet is that cymbal was thinner than more recent examples.)

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The K Custom Medium (not Dark Medium) is a pretty versatile ride that is not mentioned much for some reason. Similar in weight to a regular K ride but a bit darker and smokier in tone. It doesn't ever lose stick definition due to the unlathed underside. Washy but dry, if that makes sense. Interesting cymbal.
Until your post, I forgot I have a K Custom Medium. I rotate rides occasionally, but some tend to stay bagged up unless I dig for them.
It's a good cymbal. Not outstanding in any one area, but I guess that could make it versatile too.

20 K Custom Medium smaller - Copy.jpg

Lennykenard

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
20” K Custom Dark gets my vote. Been using mine for almost everything since 2007. Rock, metal, jazz, pit orchestra. Hasn’t let me down

Drumspb

Reaction score
Answers to this question will vary, of course. Though, some cymbals especially from the K family can be quite versatile.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
K Dark Medium 22
K Custom Dark 20/22
K Sweet Rice 21
I owned a K Sweet 23 ...wasn't for me and didn't blend with the other K cymbals in my set up at that time - the 20/22 K Customs I owned were great cymbals they do everything, sometimes the 20 is even a crash in my setup. It stayed, the 22 was sold or " became expendable" when I heard the 22 K Dark Medium I currently own 2 of those one w a 3 rivets cluster and one without. As for those 22's they come in a WIDE range of weights so listen to as many sound samples as you can, you tube etc...note the weight range of the ones you like and then find it. I found I do not like the heavier models over 3k grams

D. B. Cooper

DFO Master
Reaction score
This uncommon early 80's 2980g "Light Ride" is the most versatile 22 A Ive played. Ping, definition, spread, shimmer, crashability, plus a touch of wobble all in one

That looks cool!

What is the crash like? Does it sustain for a while?

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The best one is the one I say and also the one the people above and below me say.

Are you going to ping it, crash it, ride it, ding the bell? None of them can do it all. It’s always a comrpomise.

I’ve had at some point the 22” K, 20” K Custom Dark ride, 22” K Dark Medium, 21” & 23” K & A Sweets, 22” and 24” Light, old 20” A, 21” A Custom 30th Anniversary, and a 24” Medium. I’ve liked them all but none did everything.

I also just wanted to list them to remind myself I have a cymbal problem.
I have only one Zildjian, an A Custom swee Ride 25th anniversary 23", so, your problem is giving me some ideas if I would like to have more Zildjian, I never tried to have more because I thought their lines were complicated.