What is the Quality of Heads from DFD

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have ordered parts from them before and they were always top quality.
Their heads with no logos are 1/2 the price of the brand names.
Is there any difference in quality if anyone has ever used any of these

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've used the DFD heads many times! Top quality? If you mean are they made from DuPont Mylar? NO! They are meant for display drums or to freshen up a drum or set for sale. If you are familiar with the original Attack heads, not the Terry Bozzio version, they are akin to those. For pro use, I would never use them, but they are ideal for the majority of MIJ snare drums in my collection. They give a fresh, like-new, look...and you can't beat the price!

I'm going to be reconditioning a 1965 Slingerland Modern Solo outfit in the near future, I have original Slingerland heads for the tom batters, but will use DFD coated heads for the bottoms. The Modern Solo will be for display only, so the DFD heads are ideal.

Now, if you are seriously strapped for cash, you could certainly use the DFD heads and make them sound good. Not great, but certainly passable!

I hope this information helps everyone!

-Mark

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The head on the drum in my profile pic was probably from DFD. It's coated, medium weight, and has no logo. The playability and feel are good, although slightly papery compared to an ambassador. I'd say it's a little brighter overall than the amb but there is nothing to complain about. For the price they're offered at, they're perfect as backup heads at a gig, or when you're selling a kit and don't want to lose your good stuff, or if you're a drum company that doesn't want to send out new drums without heads and wants a decent, middle of the road option.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think of them as generic ambassadors, which is mostly what they are.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is the set I'm going to recondition. For some reason, the bass drum came with COB hoops, with a Snap-On bass drum pedal. The front head is original, but the batter head was a Remo and was forced into the hoop. Really difficult to remove! After experimenting, I found that a DFD 20" bass drum head fit into the hoop perfectly! I tried other Remo, Aquarian and Evans heads, but none of them would fit into the hoop! I went with a DFD smooth-whilte 7.5mil head, which replicated the front head in thickness. Yay for DFD heads!

The price of the 20" head? Less than $15!!

-Mark

Attachments

Reactions: JDA

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As matter of fact, these would provide a reasonable choice for getting different tones from the kit just as much as choosing Remo, Evans, or Aquarian. They have their own place and I'd be into trying a few heavier options on my kit just to find out if I really miss having the big brands or not. A set of 3 toms heads wouldn't cost much and they'd be useful to have around if I didn't care for them.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Actually, they are made from DuPont Mylar.
Ya know, I just saw that for the head description! If that is 100 percent true, then I have to scratch my head as how they can offer them for such a low price! I think I'll contact DFD to find out exactly what line of Dupont Mylar is used.

-Mark

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Only the 2 ply heads have that description.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to get some to try on the resonant side. I figured they would work well enough for that. I would like to hear how you come out if you decide to try them.