What is the reason you decided to be a drummer?

strumdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm at the age where reflection sets in and am wondering why others became drummers? What was it that moved you? For me it was in the early 50's and the first time I heard Sing Sing Sing. I saw a clip of Gene Krupa and between his playing and that tune, I was hooked. I got to play it in the high school stage band and on black and white TV! The director was a WWII vet, a boxer and a drummer. A great guy who opened many doors for me.

What's your story?

atomicmorganic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Strumdrum said:
I'm at the age where reflection sets in and am wondering why others became drummers? What was it that moved you? For me it was in the early 50's and the first time I heard Sing Sing Sing. I saw a clip of Gene Krupa and between his playing and that tune, I was hooked. I got to play it in the high school stage band and on black and white TV! The director was a WWII vet, a boxer and a drummer. A great guy who opened many doors for me.

What's your story?
Similar story. My uncle was a drummer, and when he saw my interest, he took me over to the record player and put on "Sing, Sing, Sing. From that moment on, I was a drummer. Played for a living for 50 years. Thanks Gene! And Uncle Hersh.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
The Beatles! Back in '64 I saw them on Ed Sullivan and they changed my life.

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
When I was in fourth grade, my mom said, "what instrument to you want to play?". Without thinking, I said "drums"! She then started taking me to lessons. The rest, as they say, is history.

Good thing too, as I'm nearly tone deaf. Who knew?

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My younger sister was taking piano lessons. Each week I had to tag along and sit in the front half of the music store during the lessons. My Mom looked at me one day and said, "this is silly, you should learn an instrument too, as long as we're here."

I met the drum instructor there, and as bigbonzo just said, "the rest is history." That was way back in 3rd grade.....

drumbum91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My dad always had bands when I was growing up and I was mesmerized by the drummer. He took me under his wing and left his drums for me to bang on. My parents never once flinched when I played the drums and encouraged me more than they'll ever know. I have been picking up the guitar a lot lately and it turns out my dad (guitar player now) was an avid drummer before picking up the guitar. I'll never stop playing drums but it's a cool tid bit because I am at the age where he decided to switch!

Iandrumz

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My Dad was very well known and respected in Pipeband circles. Age 8 I went to the band hall of one of the bands he taught. I was going to be a Piper like my Dad. That lasted one night I ended up in the drum room and it has been drums ever since.
My Dad supported me all the way. Thanks Dad.

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
At 5 years old in 1964 my Mother had a Sandy Nelson album and I got a drum kit(you know w/the spring loaded kick pedal like a clothespin. : ) Had a tiger on front of the bass drum and kit was red) and played to it...at least I thought I was. ; ) Sister started dating a drummer in 1972 and I started taking lessons and been playing ever since.

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For me is was 1/2 economics and 1/2 stereo-typing . I actually wanted to play the flute when the opportunity arose in 4th grade. My father said "I can't afford for my SON to play a flute" and he gave me a practice pad and a pair of sticks.

I never looked back.

Lorenzo1950

DFO Master
Reaction score
Barry Lauder left his drums at my house, in the summer of 1965.
His band played at my house, unbeknownst to my parents or neighbors.
Boy did I get hell when mom got home from work.
Since Barry took his sticks with him, I had to use the handles of dull kitchen knives as sticks.
Later, in the fall, I bought the same drum set and Barry bought a set of Kent drums.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
My mom tells stories of my frequent insistent pulling all the pans out of cupboard to bang on early on. Toy drum sets - not cool ones like now, but real late 50's toys. Anyway my recollection of my "official" start came after one of those "introduction to the orchestra" type school visits which resulted in my coming home and proclaiming that "I want to play the drums".

So I remember it being immediately - though I'm sure it probably wasn't - the phone book came out and a call to Allied Arts Music and Dance was placed. That this "first name in the phone book" search method worked out well was both fortunate and in hindsight, pretty unlikely.

This was '64 - and at that time in our area there was a flood of music stores these sort of "form a band" type lesson - drum, bass and guitar lessons geared specifically to putting together Venture's style surf bands - that the British Invasion has really pushed along nicely. All may not agree - but to mind, a great business idea... yet a horrible approach to actually teaching people to play.

But luckily, Allied Arts was "old school" - "Do we need to buy a drum set right away?" my parents asked. "No", said the owner, "your son can get started with a pair of sticks, a book and a practice pad" (for something like $10 all-in IIRC) "That way he can see if he likes it and wants to continue, before you have to make such a large financial investment."

Which lead to 1/2 hour, then later hour lessons for a few years (with a drum set being needed about nine months in) - but that's more about choosing to learn to the drums than actually deciding to be a drummer.

That was more of a process over time - from "do I like this at all", to "I really like this", to "this is really important to me", to "I can't imagine doing not doing this" - which for me was both about discovering drumming, but also discovering music in a deeper, more involved way. Anyway for me, it took about two years - from that first lesson to knowing when I was 12 that being a musician, being a drummer was what I was supposed to be doing.

Shants

Reaction score
My introduction to drumming began in 1960/61 as part of a drum-line in Army Cadets. Learned a lot of my rudiments in that marching band as lead drummer. Then I started to gradually become aware of something called rock & roll and that was it. Switched to a drum set around 1963 (No name brand I can't recall) & as a bonus, noticed that the pretty girls seemed attracted to band guys (Esp.drummers). Nuff said.... :happy11:

ludwig402

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Micky Dolenz.

I was 6 years old, a child of television, and he was on my screen every week.

Yes, I know about the Wrecking Crew and the Candy Store Prophets, but he was the
one "playing" on the show, and I wanted to do what he did.

stickinthemud

DFO Master
Reaction score
I grew up in the 60's, so drumming to me was Ringo. My mother taught piano at a conservatory that included preschool and grades 1-2, which I attended for several years, so I had a lot of musical training mixed in with my ABC's. I took piano lessons from kindergarten up through about grade 5 and did pretty well, winning a few small competitions, but every time we went to the music store, the drums were what got my attention. Finally, after much wheedling and cajoling I was allowed to take drum lessons concurrent with my piano lessons. After it became clear to my mother that I had "chosen", and was doing pretty well, she let the piano training go. I continued to study music theory through high school, and I'm very glad I had the earlier musical training. People I play with at least appreciate the fact that I know what they are doing, even if I can't play their instrument.

I can't really say what made me decide to be a drummer. It's just what I felt drawn to.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
Got a toy marching drum at age 5 (1951), I could fake a marching beat. Played a drum in the kindergarten band, I was always beating on pans or round oatmeal boxes. I feel I've always been a drummer. I never had to practice to play most pop tunes til 16th's showed up in the late 60's. 54 years playing, still work on new stuff to keep fresh.

Latest posts