What is the reason you decided to be a drummer?

wcbrown

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A couple guys I played sports with and were friends with had a band....sorta. The keyboard players brother was the drummer, he decided he didn't want to do it anymore, the opening! the catch was I had to buy his drums (Sears Silvertones) for $50.00 so I talked my mom and dad into buying them for me, we talked another mutual friend into playing bass and then we rehearsed for 3 weeks and had our first gig, I was bitten by the bug! funny thing is I'm the only one still playing. Oh I forgot to mention I DID have some formal training, I used to hang out with a couple girls, sisters, and they would play 45's all the time, I would air drum along with "Happy Jack" and "I can see for miles" by the WHO.

Rollergirl

Reaction score
Not sure. I had always wanted to play an instrument and I think I was always attracted to drums, seemed easier maybe. The decider was when I decided to take lessons. At my local school of music (and I think anywhere else in France, where I grew up) you had to go through 2 years of music theory before you could touch an instrument... With the exception of drums...
I kinda of wish I had gone through the theory now, as I struggle to teach myself to play other instruments (currently guitar, ukulele, piano), maybe it would make it easier. Or not.
Drums are and will always be my favourite though.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
After recovering from a shoulder injury which killed my career as a trumpet player in 6th grade, mom asked if I wanted to try anything else.
My older brother had started playing guitar and bands like Boston, KISS and Queen were becoming popular but it was never a particular moment or
certain drummer for me - I just said I wanted to play the drums.

Now I wear hearing aids

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
My father was an anthropologist, and the travelled into the deepest jungles of the Amazon to work with the indigenous peoples there. These were tribes who had had absolutely no contact with the "civilized world." Of course, Dad brought us with him since he stayed with the Terena people for almost the whole year. After all, it took 17 days just to reach the village via floatplane, motorboat and then canoe. That's how far up the Jutai tributary they lived. In the evenings, with no TV or radio--or anything really after my Gameboy batteries died--we'd spend our nights as the Terena did--sitting by the fire, exchanging stories, sometimes singing and, of course, drumming.

Night after night, there'd be drum circles--sometimes related to religious rituals, sometimes just to pass the time and entertain our selves. Goat-skin drums, hollowed logs, handmade shakers, improvised percussion sticks from hardwoods... we used it all, and it all contributed to the rhythms that anywhere from 10 to 40 people could produce together. Sometimes, we'd drum for an hour or so, and sometimes it would be six or seven hours. As we drummed, the Terena women would dance enchantingly.

I never partook in the ayahuasca or hallucinogenic jasmine teas that set the Terena men and women completely out of their minds (because I was only 13 or 14 and my Mom wouldn't permit me to take as much as a toke of manaca). Yet, through the drumming alone--along with the fire, the dancing, the women--I also achieved transcendent states. Sometimes, it was like a trance, sometimes it was just an incredible feeling of well-being, but the drumming just make me feel high. On some nights, it was just an incredible out-of-body state that's hard to describe, except to say that very attractive Terena women would often try to lure me away from the fire (because they were so fascinated by blonde hair), but I enjoyed the drumming so much that I was sometimes a little bit reluctant to go with them, though I always did.

After four seasons in the jungle, my father's grant ran out, and the whole family had to return to the States. It seems weird, but as remote and primitive as the Terena village was--I was deeply homesick while living a somewhat privilieged suburban existence. My mother recognized this almost immediately, and when her book about the Terena was published and became a bit of a sensation in the academic world, she used the first check she got from the publisher to buy me a drum set. It was the late 70s, and she bought me exactly what I wanted, Ludwig Vistalites in black. I still have that set, and when I go down to my basement and play--along to the one cassette tape I was able to make of a Terena drum ritual before the recorder's battery wore out, I still am able to reach a state of transcendence without any drugs or alcohol whatsoever. My family thinks it's weird that I play wearing only my underwear--and that I don't play any rhythms they recognize--so I mostly play when they're not at home. In short, I drum because it connects me to the people who lived at one with the earth in a place that was very far away and very long ago.

RedMist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've said it before. I was born a drummer. Always tapping on tables and playing my thighs. Unfortunately, my parents had a particular disdain for drums and I didn't get a kit until well into adulthood and bought my own house. I collected and played bongos, djimbe etc. Anything I could take out of the house with me. I play my kit every day now, but I still hold a little resentment for all that lost time.

Sneauman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great question, here's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :laughing4:

I was probably 8 years old and I had really good parents, and they asked me if I wanted to play an instrument. I had recently seen a clip on TV of some rock band, being that this was around 1971, it was probably The Who or something, I don't know, but the drums looked like a lot of fun to me. So they bought me a snare and I started to take lessons, but it didn't appeal to me, rudiments seemed boring and it was not what I saw on TV, this wasn't fun, this was "work", so needless to say, it didn't last long. That was a big mistake, but at that age, I didn't know any better. I wish I had a better teacher, who would have seen my interest, put me behind a kit to make me happy, then as I progressed, I would have seen the need for the basic's, when I found it difficult to learn certain things.

In high school, my best friends were musicians and in a band so I got a chance to beat around on some drums and it piqued my interest again. I got to see how it was done, and to try myself and amazingly, I "got it" almost instantly. Then one of my first roommates was a drummer and I got to beat on his kit, then I got my first kit while stationed in Germany in 1984. I bought a 7 pc Tama Swingstar kit on the German economy when the Dollar Vs. Mark rate was at an all time high...3.48 to 1. Got the drums and the A Zildjian cymbals for $1200. 14" New Beats, 16" crash and 20" Ride.

When I got back to the States in 1985, I found the same exact 5 pc kit in a music store in Clarksville, TN (Ft. Campbell) and added it to my kit to make my first monster drum kit. After ETS'ing from the military in 1986, I moved back to my hometown and started going to college, and started playing in my first bands in 1987.

The rest is history, played in bands here and there, had a great time, evolved to electronic drums for ease of gigging, then when my career took off, I spent less and less time doing it.

I haven't been in a band since 2000.

I spent four year with no drums, 2008 - 2013 when I sold all four of my kits to move to Texas, but I have been making up for lost time ever since. I now own more drum equipment than I've ever had, and love every minute of it.
:hello2:

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
During the mid 60s on the back page of most comic books was a list of prizes that youngsters could win if they sold enough packets of flower seeds going door-to-door in your neighborhood for a mail order company.

The prizes consisted of stuff like a train set or a baseball mitt, football cleats, bicycle, or a blue sparkle drum set.

I picked the drum set.

drumaniac

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had two aunts that were always at my house playing records.

While they danced I sang and banged on things.

MatrixClaw

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I played guitar and, after trying to form a solid band for years and having the most issues finding a good drummer, I decided I'd just play drums not have to rely on someone else. Still haven't really made a band since then (there were a few here and there, but nothing that really took off), but at least I can write my own music now without the help of anyone else :p

Also helps a lot when I record bands, knowing how to play every instrument they come in to track. This way, I can actually give advice and not feel like I'm bossing someone around because I don't have any idea what I'm talking about.

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My best buddy in Junior High School played the drums. We went to his house after school every day and took turns playing his Majestic set while listening (mostly) to The Monkees and Sandy Nelson.

I got my own Ludwig kit (1965 or 1966, BDP, 20-12-14-Jazz Fest) when I graduated Jr. HS in 1968. That kit looked great but I could never get it to sound great. I was a kid but I knew about getting the head in tune with itself and each other. As I recall, the edges were an uneven mess. I still lust after BDP and that old Resocote/glue smell.

agogobil

Drum Czardine
Reaction score
As a little kid, I dug the jazz records my older bros had ... Art Blakey, Elvin with Coltrane, Red Holt with Ramsey Lewis, and of course Alvin Stoller with Stan Freberg.

Don't know why, I just dug it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spooky

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was given a kit aged 6. Then I started lessons soon after and here I am now.
Our house always has instruments we were allowed to try out, I play piano,guitar, bass, uke and banjo but I am a drummer! I do have my great grand dads violin, but never really got into that, one day maybe ;)
I hope I will be on the forum years and years from now telling the kids my stories and helping them out,
I am 14 now.
:)
Spooky

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My brother and my cousin were both learning guitar and I didn't have the patience to make my fingers move how they needed to for chords. I saw Peter Criss with Kiss on HBO in the late 70's and told my Dad I wanted to play drums. He tried to convince me to play sax, and that he'd pay for lessons if I did. I chose drums anyway and paid 5 bucks a week to learn. Somehow I found the patience to wack away at a practice pad block of wood for 5 months before getting my kit, (though I couldn't do scales on a guitar??). Off and running ever since.

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
It was something I did that brought me joy. I took piano lessons at around age 6, guitar at 7 but finally got a tambourine at around 9, and then at around 11 it was a snare drum and lessons, at 12 I got an Apollo set and a few years later a better one, but it was always about the enjoyment of playing and making gradual improvement. I enjoyed playing snare drum in jr high and high school and later in college, along with some stage band. just love playing drums. I would never try to talk someone into it, though. It wasn't a decision. It was a calling.