What is the reason you decided to be a drummer?

utdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Began early on, maybe at 10 or so by playing along to records on my bed using the clothes hangers cardboard dowels. My dad walked by one day and caught me playing and said "what are you doing boy?" Told him I was playing drums. He laughed but never discouraged me until I brought a kit home!

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
kluger said:
My buddy's all played string instruments, they needed a drummer, they said , "do you want to play drums?" I said "sure!"

that's where it started, 35 years ago.
My senior year in collegE some of the guys at the UCLA Cooperative where I lived started a band. They needed a drummer and I was him. One of the guys gave me a Gretsch bass, snare, and a high-hat. Put the trumpet away and started taking lessons from Bob Levey, Stan's son. 44 years later I'm still playing and still taking lessons.

markdrum

Reaction score
When I was 12 I was lucky enough to see James Brown, Dave Brubeck and Mc Coy Tyner over the course of 2 months. I haven't been right since. Started out on a red Sears Silvertone drum setwith cymbals that sounded like trash can lids. I finally made it up to a set of Ludwig Super Classics that I played for another 20 years along with A Zildjians. What a great ride!

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I may be a bit younger so while I would love to say it was Ringo on Ed Sullivan, I was born in 1970. I actually went to our old home day when I was 10 and a band was playing. It was actually kids that were about 4-5 years older than me and they were quite good playing Aerosmith, AC/DC, Van Halen etc... At the time my parents(who are not the least bit musical) were listening to mostly acoustic music like John Denver, Judy Collins, Anne Murray so it's not like I heard any big drumming at home. I remember that day in the summer of 1981 seeing that band and I remember being almost angry with my parents as seeing this band was like an awakening! I was like "where the hell have I been and why did I not know about any of this??"

I remember watching all the guys play and I studied each instrument. I don't know why but I had a feeling I could be a drummer. The drummer that day was probably 15 and trying to impress girls and he had to deal with a stupid 10 year old kid asking how he knew what to hit and when to do it. He was playing a 1970's Ludwig 24,13,14,18 with hollow logo zildjians and a 5x14 supra. The set was maple cortex and it looked magical to me! After asking him a few dumb questions he told me to go see Barry Nelson(R.I.P. Barry) at French's Music in town to take lessons. I remember bugging g my mom right after talking with this kid and we went the following week to see Barry. I bought a pair of sticks, a practice pad and as soon as I walked into his teaching room, I was a drummer. I didn't know a damn thing but I have never ever made up my mind so much about anything. I was a drummer and I have been obsessed ever since. Thanks mom and Barry and thanks to Marc Blaisdell(the 15 year old kid I bugged) for the inspiration.

BTW Marc, as well as my teacher and all my early influences played Ludwig so I think that I was hooked with Ludwig from the start even though my first set, which I still own is a Gretsch from the 70's.

Great stories guys!

Geostorm98

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I honestly cannot remember 'why be a drummer?' - it has always just been so.

Funkymotor

Reaction score
Geostorm98 said:
I honestly cannot remember 'why be a drummer?' - it has always just been so.
I identify with this.

I bought my first drumset at age twelve, but before that I was always clicking rhythms with my teeth, finger drumming on desks, the inside of stainless sinks were bongos......car roofs, 55 gallon drums, anything really.

I love drums and cymbals, but the drumming comes out with or without them.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I think my son decided to become a drummer at about 7 months in utero, when he was doing cartwheels during Louie Weaver's drum solo (a concert I had to wait 25 years to see) he's two now, bass was his favorite until I got drums.

I picked it up because I was doing some songwriting, and getting so incredibly frustrated programming drums that I wanted to hit something.

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When I was in grade school, a classmate of one my older brothers moved in with us. Stu Kimball. He plays guitar.
He lived with us for awhile, and he and some other guys set up a jam space in our barn.
I remember them letting me sit behind the drum set, and me thinking these weren't just a singular musical instrument, they were a whole bunch of instruments played by one person. It was impressive.
Stu went on to a professional career in music, most recently as guitarist for Bob Dylan. He has played with many big names, and is still in touch with my family.
At the time, I thought of him as one of my brothers.
That exposure to drums, and musicians, made me want to play drums.

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
When I was 13 I was taking guitar lessons and wasn't catching on. Around the same time my parents brought a set of bogos home from a trip to Mexico they were on. Later on I started snare drum in school so I strapped the bogos to the edge of the snare drum and played along with "Dzzy". Then I traded the gutiar and amp for a set of red sparkle kents and that was how it happened

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As a brat I always wanted to be like my brother (14 years older than me) that played drums in High School. I never really heard him play, I just wanted to be like him. He also took Steel Guitar lessons at a younger age. At 6 years old I also took Steel Guitar lessons. LOL!! In 6th grade they played a movie the Gene Kurpa Story. That did it; I HAD TO BE A DRUMMER! In Jr High, 1957 I started playing drums. That's the same year REMO started selling plastic drum heads. My instructor explained that we were trying something different. If we don't like them we will go back to Calfskin heads. I've never played a Calfskin head, it's been REMO for me ever since.

Also a lot of that history was due to my mother. I still have the Finder lap steel that she skimped so much money for, to buy me that guitar.

sherm

10thAvenueDrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
All of my friends that wanted to start a band wanted to play guitar. I had always been drawn to the physical nature of drumming. The endurance factor is probably also the same reason I started to play the bagpipes :p

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This may seem odd, but for years, starting in the 5th grade, I played brass (trombone and later tuba) in the various school bands and didn't really pay much attention to the drums/drummers. I thought they were cool, but not much more. Then, right after high school, (approx 1985/86ish) I was hanging around w/some dudes who were trying to put a rock band together. One of the kids knew a few very basic beats and actually started showing them to me on some big 'ol 55 gallon barrels out behind his garage. We used old pieces of boards for sticks LOL!

Few months later I was listening to the sterio in my room and an REO Speedwagon song came on and it was like BOOM!! A light went off in my head and I thought "I bet I could do that!" I already had a leg up in a way, since I already knew how to read music and note values (8ths/16ths/triplets etc) from all my years playing in school. All I had to do was learn the coordination and transfer the note knowledge to the kit. Easier said than done, but I've been at it ever since the fall of '86.

Found a no-name mij kit in the want ads in the summer of '86. snare, kick, 1 rack tom, plus a hihat stand with JUNK tin-pan hats. But, it also came with a classic 20" A Zildjian ride w/a metal grommet installed in the hole. That cymbal was easily worth more than twice what I paid for the kit! I STILL have that cymbal btw. I lucked out and found a matching floor tom to make the kit a 13/16/20 and it served me well 'till I got my first "real" kit in 1988. I was the happiest kid in the world the day I brought that first old kit home...didn't even really know how to set them up properly, but man did I have fun wailing away!

It's been quite the journey since then. Went thru the rototoms/piccolo snare/x-hat phases, bought & sold various cymbals & drums over the years. Some I regret, most I do not. Think I've finally arrived at a place where I'm overall very happy & satisfied w/what I've managed to aquire over the decades and now it's time to really try and enjoy all my toys and at most tinker around the edges, but I don't foresee any more major purchases for me.

ron pangborn

Reaction score
my uncle was a drummer.We always had drums around the house. Then the Beatles on Ed Sullivan sealed the deal: matching suits, screaming girls and coolest set of drums I'd ever seen up on a riser....no brainer..

cymtrich

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i could`nt play anything else! lol actually i tried other instruments and drums were what i took to out of everything. bill

fatchoppers

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was at Six Flags Great Adventure in Nj . Prob 14 yeara old. Saw the video on a video juke box of Motley Crüe too young to fall in love . I saw Tommy Lee and thought man he is cool. Not to mention a group of girls drooling over Crue. I said oh yea I want to be a drummer.

Blackdog

Reaction score
My Dad was very well known and respected in Pipeband circles. Age 8 I went to the band hall of one of the bands he taught. I was going to be a Piper like my Dad. That lasted one night I ended up in the drum room and it has been drums ever since.
My Dad supported me all the way. Thanks Dad.
Very similar story. As Scots émigré's we were expected to play in a pipeband to "stay Scottish" I had a 5 minute lesson in bagpipes, but unlike my brother, I couldn't do it for laughing, so for my sins I was consigned to the drum section.

2mm2

Reaction score
I saw rage against the machine when they tour his first album. I got shocked!!

Sairil

Reaction score
Started to play guitar in friend's band around 13 years old.
I would jump on the drums at every break during rehearsal on saturday afternoon...
Never took lessons and still a better guitarist, but enjoy every occasion to play drums.
Later got in a brazilian percussion band which had seen a lot of good sweat and energy flowing.

GXG

Reaction score
Never was into sports so my Mom asked if my little brother and I wanted to take music lessons. He chose guitar and I chose drums. Not really sure why other than I just never saw anyone in working bands playing horns or strings. Just knew I was a drummer. Started in 4th grade (1969). Formal lessons for six years. Couple of different teachers. One drummer from the Utah Symphony. First set a blue sparkle Slingerland, next kit was the one I still have, a vintage 6 piece Ludwig in the Champagne Sparkle Wrap. 22, 12, 13, 14, 16 and a 14 Supraphonic snare. Drums from 68, 70 and 75. Bass, 14 inch floor and 13 inch rack are keystone, 12 inch rack and 16 inch floor are blue/olive badge. First paying gig in 8th grade. Played Jazz Ensembles in Jr High, High School and College. Had performance scholarships and then gigging bands until I graduated, got married and had my girls. Played a few gigs after that but was into my career so the drums sat for 25 years until last month when I got them out polished them all up and got back to doing what I love. Man, it feels so good to be back!