What is the reason you decided to be a drummer?

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
In 5th grade, I wanted to join band because it looked like fun. They ran us through exercises to see who could match pitch...I had no trouble repeating rhythms. I was a drummer. Formal lessons through sophomore year, then self taught. As a 9th grader, I challenged the senior timpanist and won his spot. I played in orchestra, concert band, and marching band. I continued in college until I got married and "grew up". At that point, I sold my drums and gave it up for five years. I couldn't be happy without drums, so I joined a community band, which led to orchestras, swing bands, county bands, and on...

poot

Penncrest Endorser
Reaction score
It wasn't Ringo. On February 9, 1964, my farm boy older brothers elected to watch Bonanza instead of Ed Sullivan.

Couldn't afford a trumpet. That was my first pick on 5th grade Band Day when we all went down to the Band Room to try out the instruments.

Tried my brother's hand-me-down clarinet, but we were bad for each other.

Could afford $4.50 for a pair of 2Bs and the Haskell Harr book. So the drums it was for me.

robdog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Both of my brothers who were twins and six years older then me played trumpet and trombone in the school band. They always practiced in their rooms and were loud as all get out. Well I wanted something louder!

Big Beat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Some great stories in this thread...

I started playing drums after trying to find a drummer for my first band. This was in the early 1980s and we were a bunch of high school kids who thought we can be the next Def Leppard or Van Halen. After several disappointing auditions, I declared to my band mates that I could do better myself - despite having never really played drums before! I already had a cheapo 1960s Japanese drum set that I picked up a few months earlier, just because it was only $50 and I thought it would be good to have around for rehearsals. I fixed it up a bit, and my Grandpa, who was a classical upright bassist, but had occasionally played a marching bass drum in parades decades ago, showed me a couple of basic rudiments. I remember being completely shocked when he tilted the snare drum away from himself and demonstrated a flat-four beat with choked accents on the crash cymbal. I had never seen anything like that on MTV! Here I was trying to learn metal, and Grandpa's showing me 1920s dixieland stuff! Still, that was enough to get me started, and within a few months I was able to switch from guitar to drums and at least be able to keep a beat - which already put me ahead of several guys that we had auditioned. Grandpa always supported my musical endeavors, god bless him, even when he hated the music I was playing. I dearly miss him.

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thinking back on it there was no definitive reason or even a point I decided to be a drummer. I just was one. Playing beats on stuff just came naturally. Along with that a memory and interest in various types of music, along with a smidgeon of creative dissatisfaction about the level of playing I was at, after I realized I was on a journey for some technique to play what I was thinking. An accompanying love for music ever since I sat in Mom's lap when she was playing the piano. Started at piano but the beat was there, and that is sorta how I approached the piano like that in the first place, the way a blues player like Fats Domino or Jerry Lee Lewis would approach it. Still having fun listening to grooves, need to brush up a tad more on the keyboard mallets and get busy putting some tracks down on drums and synths/bass whatever.

blevey

Reaction score
My senior year in collegE some of the guys at the UCLA Cooperative where I lived started a band. They needed a drummer and I was him. One of the guys gave me a Gretsch bass, snare, and a high-hat. Put the trumpet away and started taking lessons from Bob Levey, Stan's son. 44 years later I'm still playing and still taking lessons.
Must be Bill?

Johnny K

Reaction score
Necessity for percussion to add flavor to open mics while playing guitar and it all snowballed from there.

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Buddy Rich, then Ringo, then...., then Bonham, then Carmine, then... Billy, then..
50 + years later I still suck and play in a garage band ...
love it, wouldn't have it any other way
oh yeah, and the chicks

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In order...Dennis Wilson, Ringo Starr, Dino Danelli, "Gene Krupa Story," Buddy Rich. Showing my age?

MrYikes

Reaction score
The guy in the music store said my arms weren't long enough to play trombone, so he turned me around to a drum. I carried that thing back and forth to school for 3 years. In 9th grade they needed a drummer for a school musical and I was it. The guitar player asked to form a band with me. I bought a Slingerland set for $17 a week. Two months later we had our first gig. After high school I bought my Rogers set. They still work.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Went to a Record/music instrument store when I was a kid with my dad. They a had a red 5 piece that mesmerized me and the store owner let me play it. That was it!
Can't remember if it was x-mas or my birthday that year and my dad surprised me with that same kit. From there on, I was hooked. I also recall watching Tom Sawyer on MTV (I think it was the first year of MTV). That did it too! I spent countless hours of my life trying to play that song.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
For me is was 1/2 economics and 1/2 stereo-typing . I actually wanted to play the flute when the opportunity arose in 4th grade. My father said "I can't afford for my SON to play a flute" and he gave me a practice pad and a pair of sticks.

I never looked back.
My story is similar. I was 12 at the start of 7th grade and my father declined to rent a wind instrument or pay for lessons. For $3.00, my Mom found a pad and pair of sticks. The music teacher at school turned me on to Haskell Harr book 1, from which I learned basic reading and technique. I started practicing on pillows so as not to annoy the family, which was good because it gave me good hands in a relatively short time. After I acquired some facility, I started to listening to drums in the pop songs of the day and found out I could hear and emulate the parts pretty quickly. I was a sponge for anything dealing with the instrument. I got into whatever bands the school had and it went from there.

Who knows, if the old man had funded a wind instrument, I might have said screw it and become an accountant.

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Mom walked into the family room when I was in the fourth grade, and asked, "what instrument do you want to play?" I didn't even think about it. It wasn't even on my list of things to think about. I just yelled out "drums!" And that was it.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
In '59, my brother bought Walk Don't Run by the Ventures, I 'got' the drum break, then Get A Job by the Silhouettes, same break only swung. Then I counted through the stop in the 77 Sunset Strip theme, I saw the possibilities.
While at my aunt's house, who's late husband had been a drummer, I said I wanted to play drums. Without batting an eye, she went to her kitchen towel rack and pulled out 2 dowels the size of drumsticks and handed them to me, thanks Eva! I played along with the radio on the arm of a chair and I made a hole in it, prompting the purchase of a Ludwig Downbeat snare and shortly a used Gretsch kick and snare and an 18"zildjian. Played my first gig in '63.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was 10 years old, and in front of the TV, when our babysitter made us watch The Beatles on Ed Sullivan! Honestly, at my young age, it didn't make much of an impression on me! But, just one year later in 5ht grade, I had to take a music test and was told I should play a wind instrument. Seriously...play a clarinet?!! I said I wanted to play drums. This was simply motivated by the toy drum set at my friends house with the cool bass drum head with a beach, palm trees and a setting sun! That did it for me! Sorry Ringo!

-Mark