What is the reason you decided to be a drummer?

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In short, flunked out of "trumpet school." That left drums.

My folks tried to get us kids to try an instrument. 5th grade in 1964. For some reason I "chose" trumpet. Probably because for every boy, trumpet was "the" instrument....sax was too hard. The girls liked the woodwinds and strings. Maybe it was seeing big band trumpet players in the movies like Harry James. Didn't work for me though. I flunked trumpet within several weeks when the 1st recital was due....Twinkle Twinkle Little Star....lol. Couldn't or wouldn't memorize the scale...didn't get much help either.

The band leader for our middle school band was Sonny Costanza, a well known touring trombone player...of course I didn't know that back then....he was just the music teacher. Between him and my Dad, the drums came up. My Dad liked that idea since he had played marching drum back in the day. Started noticing all the cool drummers in rock groups in the mid-60's. And of course watching Krupa in old movies....and Sal Mineo playing him in the "Gene Krupa" story. I was mesmerized by a couple early records my older brothers brought home....The Ventures Knock Me Out album.....Little Town Flirt by Del Shannon.....and Rag Doll by the 4 Seasons. Hal Blaine, Mel Taylor, and others were now in my head....and I didn't know it. I know I recognized the beauty of those early beats before trumpet....but never understood it in 1962-1964. First kit in 1968.

It was only until 8th grade band that I found out my ability to recognize musical pitch and precise notes was almost non-existent....scoring 9 out of 100 on the band exam....the lowest by far of anyone. Everyone else was scoring 40-90. So drums it remains.

Last edited:

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
Ringo Starr and the Beatles... first song I remember was "I wanna be your man" (also sung by Ringo) and I may have been about 6 months old
...................... :D

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Way too difficult to look cool with a guitar or keyboard.

Rock Salad

Reaction score
My cousin was a really good drummer and she had a Ludwig kit with Zildjians that she let me try. So from day one of my introduction to the drum set i realized there is a Lot of technique to making music on this instrument. All i coud make were deafening smashes on the instruments, then she sat down and layed down some gentle jazzy beat with accents hitting all the different sounds. She gave me a pad and sticks and taught me single, double and buzz roll that i remembered and probably some other stuff too, but those i remembered and learned. I was probably about 6 years old.
Never was able to get access to drums as a kid. Played other instruments though and got decent enough to play out.
Ffw few decades...
Been trying to get good at drums for couple years now, and have found a band that suits my strengths on drums. Having a blast and wishing i had made the switch sooner.
Very glad to have found this forum, thanks for the tips and deals and for being Way cooler than any other instrumental forum's membership.

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
I think I was about 14 yrs old and was drawn to drums in high school. as I also played in the high school junior band and continued on in local rock bands. My parents paid for 2 or 3 years of drum lessons and I am glad they did. In those days, no sound deadening for drums or cymbals other than old towels and the cymbals were loud in a unfinished basement :D so I drove the parents crazy. Thank God, they were patient!
Almost bought a Ringo set in 1980 or so but didn't have the $300 (~!) to buy them!

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I started playing & beating on things when I was 18 months old. I can’t remember a time when I WASN’T interested in drumming. As far as a “lightbulb” moment of when the infatuation started, I can’t pinpoint an exact moment or experience but it could have been my dad’s collection of 45’s “oldies” rock & roll. I loved The Beach Boys & The Ventures and he had a couple of Sandy Nelson records that I know made a lasting impression on me. My “drums” were using Lincoln Logs on the canister they came it, pencils on parts/pieces of an old stovetop coffee maker at my grandparents house, etc. At some point I was KISS on the TV show 321 Contact and that made a HUGE impression on me: the hydraulic drum riser, the lights, the pyro, the sheer volume of the music was everything my 4/5 year old self wanted to see & hear. My parents got me one of those toy Noble & Cooley kits with the paper heads when I was five. I destroyed three of those toy kits between the ages of 5-9 before my parents got me a second hand Tama Swingstar kit. The rest is history...

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
...because tuning a radio was too difficult to hear the music I liked

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I played guitar in second grade and quit. In sixth grade I asked my mom if I could take lessons again. She said I had to take something that was free & offered at school.

The only “cool” instrument was the drums. And thank god because even today I really suck at guitar.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I got so frustrated trying to program drums I was ready to hit things.

dirtysicks

Reaction score
It’s funny that as a child I never remember deciding to be a drummer... I just always was a drummer. From banging on pots, pans and books as a toddler, to grade school, to my teens, to now, I have always just been fascinated, obsessed and in love with drums.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
ego, attention, power, ability to sway a crowd...power did I mention power....fame.

Slingerland3ply

Reaction score
The kid across the street had a used gold sparkle Gretch set [bass and rack tom ] ,
a Rogers chrome snare [not Dynasonic] and a Slingerland floor tom and Zildjian cymbals . He was playing rock beats and a small part of a James Brown beat. I was hooked. Played there and then got a set [of MIJ ] drums.