What is the thickness of Blaemire/Jenkins shells ?

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Having difficulty navigating their call-answering system .

How do these compare to pearl FG soundwise ?

I picked up a small mountain of 70's Fiberglass drums the other day for a price I couldn't refuse .

Thanks

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Jenkins and Tempus shells I’ve looked at were considerably thinner than the Pearl shells I have. To over-generalize, I thought the thinner shells sounded warmer, and the thicker shells had more cut.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think that the Pearl are fiberglass infused plywood and the Jenkins shells are seamless spun Fiberglass. Two different animals?

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Pearl makes/made two types of fg shells. One is just pure fg (edit: shaped in a mold). The other is sheets of fg laid on the inner surface of normal wood shells. That’s what they mean by “wood-fg”.

Last edited:

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Somewhere around 3.5 mm is the standard J-M shell thickness from what I recall. They might alter that parameter slightly for specific requests, though I'm not certain on that.

The J-M/Blaemire spun-glass shells utilize what seems to be a unique construction method.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's been decades since I've had either of the Pearl fiberglass offerings sitting side by side with same size Blaemire drum. But when I was first pondering the Blaemire shells, I remember being able to make that exact A/B test and they were noticeable different. Not that the Pearl drums sucked - because they didn't. Just that the Blaemires were more smoothly full-bodied. Warmer without being any less bright.

The best drums for all purposes??? I would never say that about anything. There are just way too many great choices. For years and years, I used my Blaemires (bass and toms) for literally everything I did locally - and yet right now today, I'm mainly using my mismatched set of Gretschs to record, while my Blaemires sit six feet away, packed up in the garage. Again, lots of great choices.

But I have no doubt that between Blaemires and the Pearl Fiberglass models - I would choose Blaemires still today. The memory of them being that much better is really that clear.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Jenkins and Tempus shells I’ve looked at were considerably thinner than the Pearl shells I have. To over-generalize, I thought the thinner shells sounded warmer, and the thicker shells had more cut.
The Jenkins-Martin shells and the vintage Pearl FG shells are more similar than the Tempus shells. The Tempus shells are much thinner and exhibit a lot of flex when squeezed. The Jenkins-Martin shells are super stiff and you would be hard pressed to squeeze them. Same with the vintage Pearl FG shells.

Mendozart

Jenkins-Martin rep
Reaction score
3.5 mm is the thickness of the shells. The big difference between the Pearl shells and the J-M's is that the J-M's are spun-fiberglass, while the Pearl are a chopped fiberglass created in a mold, completely different animal.

Hey Benny K,
PM me for any questions you want answered, will even talk on the phone if you want.

Last edited:

stevil

Reaction score
Mendozart has you covered, but they were very responsive to their general email when I ordered my set earlier this year.

BTW, I love them, but the best endorsement is that my band mates think they sound great, and normally they couldn't be bothered to notice my gear.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's been decades since I've had either of the Pearl fiberglass offerings sitting side by side with same size Blaemire drum. But when I was first pondering the Blaemire shells, I remember being able to make that exact A/B test and they were noticeable different. Not that the Pearl drums sucked - because they didn't. Just that the Blaemires were more smoothly full-bodied. Warmer without being any less bright.

The best drums for all purposes??? I would never say that about anything. There are just way too many great choices. For years and years, I used my Blaemires (bass and toms) for literally everything I did locally - and yet right now today, I'm mainly using my mismatched set of Gretschs to record, while my Blaemires sit six feet away, packed up in the garage. Again, lots of great choices.

But I have no doubt that between Blaemires and the Pearl Fiberglass models - I would choose Blaemires still today. The memory of them being that much better is really that clear.

Dave and I may respectfully disagree on various topics, but when he talks gear , I shut up and listen .

Mendozart

Jenkins-Martin rep
Reaction score
I remember speaking with this guy when he posted these drums. The toms were early generation Blaemires. The reason they look “Pearlish” is because they have a wrap on them. The bass drum was not Blaemire.

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
Huh? These sure look like Pearl FG's to me . Were they subbed out to Blaemire ?

I bought these toms. They are the same color as Pearl's FG shells but genuine Blaemire. Jerry said Mr. B bought whatever resin was on sale, leading to different colored shells and even different colored roving. I've seen the classic green, the beige and my fave, pink resin with green roving.

Mendozart

Jenkins-Martin rep
Reaction score
I bought these toms. They are the same color as Pearl's FG shells but genuine Blaemire. Jerry said Mr. B bought whatever resin was on sale, leading to different colored shells and even different colored roving. I've seen the classic green, the beige and my fave, pink resin with green roving.
Yes.....those candy cane shells are lovely! :thumbleft:

Latest posts