What is the wood used in Pearls wood fiberglass drums?

verminator

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have this awesome beater Pearl wood fiberglass kit from the early to mid 70s with a lengthy tear in the floor tom. Upon examination, the wood does not look to be mahogany. It is a very light, almost yellowish wood. I always assumed mahogany but it almost looks like birch or maple. These drums sound amazing and project great. There is some bubbling on the bass drum and the exposed wood looks the same there.

Attachments

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score

verminator

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The wood under the wrap on this kit certainly is not Luann at least it is unlike any Luann I have seen. Thanks for the cool link.

ThomFloor

Reaction score
I have this awesome beater Pearl wood fiberglass kit from the early to mid 70s with a lengthy tear in the floor tom. Upon examination, the wood does not look to be mahogany. It is a very light, almost yellowish wood.
That looks like poplar or basswood to me. Luan usually has a sinuous/ropy sort of surface, but varies quite a bit in color so is tough to judge depending on its source.

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
The official description was "9-ply hardwood," their standard lauan with some boat goo blown into 'em. The last w/fg snares were the then-current maple shells with a fibed interior. I've seen lauan look like that before but who knows?

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Luan is sort of a generic term, isn't it?

Found on the web:

What kind of wood is Luan?
Another common name for this wood is Meranti: while the name Lauan is commonly used when referring to plywood made of this type of wood. (It's also frequently called Philippine Mahogany, though Meranti/Lauan bears no relation to what is considered to be “true” mahogany in the Swietenia and Khaya genera.)

Lauan | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwood)
https://www.wood-database.com/lauan/

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
I've read that FG/maple was an official option with a distinct badge in Japan.

verminator

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The official description was "9-ply hardwood," their standard lauan with some boat goo blown into 'em. The last w/fg snares were the then-current maple shells with a fibed interior. I've seen lauan look like that before but who knows?
You have seen Luann look yellow? I guess it makes sense.

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
Well, maybe, lol. I have seen wood that looks like that in older MIJ. It looks like the wood they made re-rings from - whatever the heck that is...

verminator

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I do know that they sound incredible. I pulled thecersp back a bit and there is is a knot in the wood. Pine?