What is this drum? (Tama snare, Cordia wood inner/outer ply)

shelfand

Reaction score
Greetings!

For you Tama experts, I need some help.... I've had this drum for a bit, but I've never been able to figure out exact age, era, or value. Would greatly appreciate insight on all 3 points. (See pics below)

Vital stats:

-6.5"X14"
-Die Cast hoops
-Tube lugs
-Outer ply is different then rest of the shell with stunning grain, I'm thinking Cordia wood? Gloss lacquer in exceptional condition
-Inner ply is same wood as outer ply (thinking Corda still) - darker stain, matte finish. BEAUTIFUL grain and color
-Strainer and butt plate w/snare bridges/extended snares (15") - strainer is in perfect mechanical order
-Badge (pictured) simply reads "Tama" and "Snare Drum"

Again, I'd greatly appreciate ANY insight into what this drum may be in terms of model, age, shell composition, and value... thanks in advance!!

Attachments

tamadrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
Looks like a mid 80's Artstar snare.Inner and outer plys were cordia,and mid plys were birch I think.I'll have to check my catalogs.

Steve B

mudjacker2

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To me it looks unique....it has a late 80's - early 90's badge and lugs, with early 80's throw off, butt and shell. Never have seen a cordia with these lugs or badge....mysterious, but a real beauty

imthebeat

Reaction score
Model AS876 in 1991, model number changed to CW326 in 1992 through 1994, CW326L in 1995.
Appeared in Japanese catalogs only.
Outer plies are cordia, inner plies are birch.
The Roller Action throwoff and butt end were available on certain Japanese snare drum models well into the 90's, not so here in the US

M

Matt Middleton

You lucky SOB. That is a rare and fabulous drum... I am super jealous.

If memory serves, those drums were only available for a year or two before cordia was put on the endangered list and Tama had to discontinue them.

Latest posts