What is this? I think it is an old Turkish made cymbal but don't recognize the stamp.

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just bought (layaway) a pretty inexpensive beater drum set that had this cymbal. Here's a few pictures. The cymbal is about 14" or 15" in diameter, has hand hammering and a signature on back, a larger bell and very small hole. Looks like Stambul on the stamp but It appears to be made in Turkey, hand made, faintly appears to be sorta the tops of the Taj Mahal on upper parts of the stamp. Thanks for any insight!
IMG_0100.JPG
IMG_0101.JPG
IMG_0102.JPG
IMG_0125.JPG

I was going to post this on Cymbalholic but when I logged in after years away, I noticed the statements that "You can't post." So, here we are.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
This is the second one of these I've seen. The other was 11" and 300g.

11-300-stambul-stamp.jpg

The signature on yours looks very similar too:

11-300-stambul-sig.png

No further information other than to say there were a number of cymbal producers in Turkey many years back who are not very well known. I'm willing to believe it is Turkish in origin. Here is another cymbal maker from Turkey who isn't K Zildjian: Zildji Vram

16-1700-stamp.jpg

16-1304-sticker2.jpg

16-1700-top.jpg

Last edited:

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
This is the second one of these I've seen. The other was 11" and 300g.

View attachment 412645

View attachment 412646

No further information other than to say there were a number of cymbal producers in Turkey many years back who are not very well known. I'm willing to believe it is Turkish in origin. Here is another cymbal maker from Turkey who isn't K Zildjian: Zildji Vram

View attachment 412647

View attachment 412648

View attachment 412650
Thanks, I thought there'd be a chance you or someone else would see something here. As far as the maker, is it possible the original K zildjian factory was producing "stencil" brands, a la Ufip or Paiste? Either way.. It's a very interesting pie. Zeroing in on the truth, hopefully...

Wow the signatures look very similar. Wouldn't it be cool if there were some Istanbul Ks out there with his (her?lol) signature on them?

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love seeing stuff like this!
Yeah totally! Back about 5-10 years back, when I was finding more rare cymbals I was haunting cymbalholic for more info.. The site's still there, and there may be recent posts, but I think last time a donation was necessary to allow for topic starts etc.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
cymbalholic was put on indefinite hold searchable only about 4-5 months ago.
OP should make a soundfile of the cymbal.
oh, Pounder, yeah, make a soundfile, play it like a snare drum some rolls double/strokes/ , let us hear it.

Cliff DeArment

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

View attachment 412646
It's possible that this signature is upside down. If so, at the end it would look like y/y. In Armenian, that would mean H/H - most likely Haroutian II. Can't say for certain, but it's interesting. Didn't finish the full translation. In English, we use the name II meaning second son. In Armenian, II (2) would mean how many. That's my take on it anyway.

Last edited:

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
It's possible that this signature is upside down. If so, at the end it would look like y/y. In Armenian, that would mean H/H - most likely Haroutian II. Can't say for certain, but it's interesting. Didn't finish the full translation. In English, we use the name II meaning second son. In Armenian, II (2) would mean how many. That's my take on it anyway.
Great info! I had turned my photo upside down to match the one Pounder had. But I didn't know which way up it should go. I'm illiterate in that language so I can't tell. And it doesn't help the some photos seem to get flipped by some software once they are posted on the interwebs. :dontknow:

Here is a wider shot:

11-300-stambul-sig.jpg

I don't know if the Turkish makers were consistent about signing above or below the mounting hole. Does that give us a hint? It might be that it they signed below mounting hole it would go one way up, if it was signed above the mounting hole it would go the other way up. I only know that where the signature happens was consistent for Mike Skiba, but where he wrote the weight told you whether a cymbal was before or after 2005. But I haven't even looked at that for other makers. :dontknow:

Last edited:

Cliff DeArment

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The wider shot helped. Noticed the 3 dots at the end. That most likely means the Son of Haroutian II. Just as we see the Avedis Ottoman 3 dot stamps, those 3 dots inside it means Son of Avedis, meaning Armand. If we put that whole signature together we may be able to read his name, but it may not tell us much. I'll look closer into it. But, hey... half of the time I'm wrong! So, take anything I say with a big grain of salt. It's just fun, and I have no life! Gives me something to do. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts