header.nohb.html

What is your favorite Paiste ride?

xtranoise

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to find the sound I like the most. I have owned a few different Paiste rides over the years as I played off and on. Also some other brands. I realize no one else can decide for me as this is personal and subjective. Nonetheless, what is your personal favorite ride by Paiste and why do you like it?

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 1976 black label 20” ride that is fantastic. But it’s the only Paiste ride I own so I’m not much help.
I’ve always wanted a blue Bell and I like the sound files I’ve heard, but worried because so many people say they are not an all-purpose ride, which is kinda what I need as a gigging drummer. So I haven’t pulled the trigger on one just yet.

xopherhills

Reaction score
I have the 22" Powerslave model of the Alpha Reflection series and love it. The bell on it is big and bright. In the 90s I had an 80s Paiste ride, but sold the kit and don't remember what kind it was.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Let's see, what day is it?

I realize that you asked for "one", but ...

In no particular order.

1. 21" Masters Medium Ride - probably my favorite "mass produced" ride cymbal. It sounds like the perfect combination of modern and ancient.

2. 20" Masters BlueBird - If I'm playing Bebop or I'm in a particularly bright room, this thing is perfect.

3. 23" Pre-serial 602 - Mine sits between a "medium" and a "thin" and is just an amazing all-around cymbal

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
My Paiste rides are:
18" 2002
20" 2002
22" 2002
24" 2002
24" Giant Beat
22" 602 Medium
22" Dark Energy Mk I

Of these, my favorite is the 22" 2002 because it has the perfect balance of ping/wash and can do almost anything. However, I think the 22" Masters Crisp ride could give it a run for its money. Might be my next cymbal purchase.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paiste 22 Twenty Light Ride.
It does it all.
Excellent bell, good definition, outstanding crash, and such a beautiful cushion underneath.
My favorite ride of all the brands I own.

Reaction score
Actually a VERY easy question for me, I only own my favorites, anything else gets sent back, or (eventually) goes away.

All around- 22" Masters Dark, 22" Traditional Med Light, 22" 602 Medium, 20" Dark Energy Light Dark, 22" Old German Super
Jazz- 22" Sound Creation Dark w/2 rivets, 22" Masters Dark w/ 2 rivets, 22" 602 22" Paperthin w/ 2 rivets, 20" Dark Energy Light Dark, 20" Traditional Extra Thin w/ 2 rivets, 20" Sound Creation Dark Crash.
Left Side Rides- 19" 602 medium, 19" Masters Dark Crash, 20" Traditional Extra Thin w/ 2 rivets, 20" Sound Creation Dark Crash, 20" Old German Super.
Specialty- 20" 602 Thin Flat w/ 3 rivets, 18" 602 Thin Flat.

MSG

IMG_1276.JPG

chakosticks

Reaction score
I've been on a cymbal buying spree for the past year or so and I've had the pleasure of picking up a couple of gems:

22" Signature Dark Energy Ride MKII:
Truly amazing cymbal, possibly my favorite ride I've ever played. Very nice weight at 3067 grams, feels solid under a stick. More ping and shimmer than my 2553 gram 22" Zildjian K Custom Dark ride and absolutely more versatile, even though I'm a big fan of the K Custom Dark ride. Almost too nice to play!
20" 2002 Dry Ride:
My favorite dry ride, feels heavier under a stick than it should at 2392 grams, lower pitched and less annoying overtones than my 2523 gram 20" Signature Dry Ride (which I'm selling), waaaay lower pitched and without the shrill overtones of my 3430 gram 21" Sabian AA Raw Bell Dry Ride (which I'm selling). It opens up to a nice dark crash unlike my un-crashable, insanely dry 20" Zildjian K Custom Ride that dates to the 80's (which I'm still a big fan of under certain circumstances).

The two above cymbals essentially halted my search for rides.

Remington700

Reaction score
2002 Power Ride 20”

Surprisingly very versatile ride.
Dark strong warm ping that doesn’t wash out.
Bell has a great deep tone and is very reactive with no dead spots.

The one I had was older with patina so that must have helped darken it.

It’s name, power ride, would lead you to believe that it’s for heavy metal but I used it with a blues band and loved it.

zenstat

Reaction score
20" trad medium ride. Does just about everything

I have a Trad Medium Ride and it would be my favorite, but I'm having trouble deciding between that and my 21" New Signature Light Dark Ride. I usually like to postpone judgement for a few years and see how I get on with them. No snap decisions. Of course that means I hardly ever sell any cymbals. ;-)

Last edited:

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Trad Medium Ride and it would be my favorite, but I'm having trouble deciding between that and my 21" New Signature Light Dark Ride. I usually like to postpone judgement for a few years and see how I get on with them. No snap decisions. Of course that means I hardly ever sell and cymbals. ;-)
No hurry’s the joy is in the journey !

xtranoise

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
2002 Power Ride 20”

Surprisingly very versatile ride.
Dark strong warm ping that doesn’t wash out.
Bell has a great deep tone and is very reactive with no dead spots.

The one I had was older with patina so that must have helped darken it.

It’s name, power ride, would lead you to believe that it’s for heavy metal but I used it with a blues band and loved it.
I have been listening to several sound files on the Paiste site the last few days and that one definitely caught my ear.