header.nohb.html

What is your favorite Paiste ride?

xtranoise

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 22" 2002 back in the early 80s. Then about a decade ago I had an Alpha but cannot remember the exact model, maybe a Ping or Dry? Also tried a flat that was also Alpha I think. During that time I also tried out a Sabian Raw Bell Dry Ride and a Saluda Glory model I had made. Currently I have a 20" Paiste Innovations medium. It's nice but just not exactly what I'm looking for. I look forward to listening to many as I try to decide just what it is I am wanting to hear.

Remington700

Reaction score
Another favorite was a 2002 “Cool Ride” at 20”.

Hard to find now. Nice mellow tone good for lower volume gigs. Had some different lathing that I think was borrowed from the Dimensions line. Definitely one I wish I didn’t have to sell.

michaelg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Those who like the 20 trad medium, have you compared it to the 22 trad light ?

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm more Zildjian than Paiste, but of the Paiste cymbals I've had, I liked the 24" Giant Beat best.

zenstat

Reaction score
Those who like the 20 trad medium, have you compared it to the 22 trad light ?

Not an in person A/B comparison yet. But I suspect I would like the 22" Trad Light. Here's why:

I've also got a 20 Trad Medium Light which weighs 2162g. My Medium weighs 2156g so it is pretty much the same weight with the Medium Light being 6g heavier. I'm slowly (with the accent on slowly) working through a project to do a full shape comparison and sonic profile to see how the two models differ. I'll throw in Paiste's own descriptions into the wiki entry as well. Should be fun when I get to it. ;-) I'm left thinking that Paiste's descriptions are pretty good, as are their "official" sound files. Paiste do seem to start off with a profusion of models which are based on very small differences in sound. I suspect over the next few years they drop some models which have the lower sales. Paiste sometimes get a bad rap for discontinuing lines (aka series) and models. But having done extensive work on A and K Zildjians and tried to make progress on all the Zildjian discontinued series and models I don't think the bad rap Paiste gets is based on proper evidence. Zildjian has discontinued plenty as well.

And on recommendation from @nomsgmusic I've got a 22" Trad Medium Light at 2840g because one came up for sale in New Zealand at a reasonable price. The 22" Trad Lights are around 2500g, versus the 22" Trad Medium Lights which are around 2800g. I have done an A/B comparison of the 22" Trad Medium and the 20" Medium and I prefer the 20" Medium ever so slightly because the 20" Medium is a little darker. I like 'em dark. I appreciate the 22" Trad Medium Light for its role as an all around cymbal but the 20" Medium edges it out. However, I've listened to the official sound files for the 22" Trad Light and 22" Trad Medium Light and based on the sound files plus the weight ranges, I suspect I would really like the 22" Trad Light. I've got lots of the original Paiste sound files for discontinued models (like the 22" Trad Medium Light) but haven't had a chance to put them all into the wiki yet. I need to update the software and apply several patches and I just haven't had the time.

Cannons

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Between the 20” 2002 Heavy “Jazz Rock” ride, 20” Dimensions Light ride, 20” Sig Dry Crisp ride, 20” 404 ride, and 20” Fo 602 Medium ride, my favorite right now is the Dimensions Light ride. Clean, silvery, nice bell, and very crashable.

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Though I’m a long time Paiste fan the series I have are somewhat limited: primarily 2002, Traditional, 505. Of those my favorite ride I have is a black label 20” flat 2002 from ‘76.

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have 6 Paiste rides...I play the 20" Traditional Medium Heavy mostly but have been taking the 22" Twenty Masters Dark Crisp out lately...both are GREAT ride cymbals

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm a little old school in my Paiste cymbals; I have a 18" Stambul '65 ride...

Attachments

• paiste1.jpg
    paiste1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 2
  • paiste0.jpg
    paiste0.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 2

ggmerino

Reaction score
Dark energy mk2 21”- super versatile and sweet. Really depends on what music you are playing, volume, live vs. studio etc…

Steech

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
22” Prototype Signature Ride.
It can do everything extremely well.

Jhouse86

Reaction score
I wouldn't be able to pick a favorite.
22 DE mk2. It's probably the most versatile ride if ever used. It doesn't have a bad sound in it.
22 sig mellow. A watered down version of the sig full, in a good way. All the good with less sustain. The sig full is a little too much for me at times.
22 & 24 2002's. One of my favorite cymbal line ups of all time.
They all do what they do REALLY WELL.