What is your idea of a blues band?

DrumGerry

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I never knew about that group, although I recognised Mark Sandman straight away. I loved Morphine. Shame what happened to him, they were a cool band.

Lorenzo1950

DFO Master
Reaction score
"Good lord I've become an old curmudgeon..."

That's me all over.
I don't get sick of playing good blues its all those high energy shuffles that wear me out.
I like moderate tempos and I love to play shuffles, just not the high energy ones.
I'll take a Little Walter shuffle anytime.

Sonorholic

DFO Master
Reaction score
DrumGerry said:
I never knew about that group, although I recognised Mark Sandman straight away. I loved Morphine. Shame what happened to him, they were a cool band.
Yea, we celebrated his life again last night on the 15th anniversary of his passing. Both Vapors of Morphine and Orchestra Morphine played. Being in both bands it was a lot for me, but I wasn't complaining. It was a really great night of Marks music.

That video of Treat Her Right was from the 80's. They had a regular gig at The Plough and Stars and that's where it was filmed. I was probably at that gig, but didn't make the video, but it's a great example of that place and what the gigs were like. That was when I met Mark and started playing with him. I did a couple of emergency gigs with THR, then played in the Hypnosonics and then with Morphine. Mark also did a tune with the Either Orchestra on their second album.

DrumGerry

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sonorholic said:
Yea, we celebrated his life again last night on the 15th anniversary of his passing. Both Vapors of Morphine and Orchestra Morphine played. Being in both bands it was a lot for me, but I wasn't complaining. It was a really great night of Marks music.

That video of Treat Her Right was from the 80's. They had a regular gig at The Plough and Stars and that's where it was filmed. I was probably at that gig, but didn't make the video, but it's a great example of that place and what the gigs were like. That was when I met Mark and started playing with him. I did a couple of emergency gigs with THR, then played in the Hypnosonics and then with Morphine. Mark also did a tune with the Either Orchestra on their second album.
I wish I could have been there!

I didn't realise that you played in Morphine, and on the Cure for Pain album too! (my favourite Morphine album). Respect!

redlegs75

Reaction score
I want to thank you for mentioning the band Morphine. I had not heard about this band before and I went to Amazon and sampled their music and I love them! I immediately ordered 5 of their albums! I can't wait to get them. Thanks guys for opening my eyes to a great band!

DrumGerry

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
redlegs75 said:
I want to thank you for mentioning the band Morphine. I had not heard about this band before and I went to Amazon and sampled their music and I love them! I immediately ordered 5 of their albums! I can't wait to get them. Thanks guys for opening my eyes to a great band!
Wow, you don't do things by halves redlegs! I'm sure you'll love your albums. I have Cure For Pain, Yes and Like Swimming. I still play them when I'm in the mood and they all stand the test of time.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Altar said:
Amy Winehouse had it in spades .
Does she count? Amy Winehouse was a goddess.
" There's Miss bad fox"-ohhh" with diamonds in 'er teeth
She is pure gold
Underneath

She's a rock n roll singer
An a
True dead ringer
For something like
you ain't never seen " .... Levon Helm & The Band

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score

Last edited by a moderator:

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
yeah, I know .

must be a heavenly band somewhere . if i'm lucky i'll get a backstage pass at the pearly gates.

the blues don't die

one more mile ...

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Who cares about age if you can play. My older middle aged brother leads a punk-ish type of band. Big whoop. If you enjoy it, who cares what some might think. We all get old if we live long enough. I plan on playing till I'm old. Roy Haynes still tours...nuff said

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As others have pointed out...Blues, like Jazz is a multitude of things. These days my default Blues is the Tedeschi-Trucks Band.
Her voice, his guitar...Whew!

Last edited by a moderator:

vintagedrumjunky

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The original Muddy Waters band, hands down. Little Walter, Jimmy Rogers, Otis Spann, Elgin Evans and Willie Dixon...these guys, along with Howlin Wolfs band, ruled the Chicago Blues streets during the 1950's.

Velociamator

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ummm...yeah,but let's not forget Elmore James' Broomdusters with Odie Payne,Homesick James,Ike Turner,Sonny Boy Williamson II,Willie Dixon,and others. That man was King of the Slide Guitar.

Lorenzo1950

DFO Master
Reaction score
I went to a different blues jam on Wednesday with two members of my blues band. I thought we did very good. Then came the ringers. I thought they were excellent musicians but they had a very sterile sound.
It's funny but I have figured out why some drummers have perfect form. Drum corps. The drummer, a fairly young guy, was apparently the head honcho (or whatever they are called) in the drum corps. The guitar player had an extremely clear tone but he tended to jack up the volume. My group received a lot of applause but the ringers had cheers and people walking up to compliment them. Just shows what major technique can do. My guitarist and I agreed that the group was a little too "sterile" for our tastes and didn't play with much soul, but they played extremely well. They even had a cocky look on stage and did not really mingle with anyone. Maybe this is professionalism? Or maybe it is sour grapes on our part. We did play extremely well and people were applauding after all three songs. It shows to go you that there will always be a better group on the horizon and you have to accept it. Our bass player was chatting with the other bass player who turned out to be the friendliest in the other band.