What Is Your Most Played Snare and Why?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
For jazz, 5x14 Round badge in tangerine sparkle - great jazz pop and I can get a tight sound using the muffler, or a little ring if disengaged. For the rest, 6.5x14" Ludwig 80's bronze shell - this drum is woody, sensitive, rings with rim shots and gorgeous!

Does that mean I need to sell the rest???

Last edited:

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Slkingerland Spitfire gets the most work because it fits the rest of the kit, I've been playing for 30+ years and it sounds great. The Leedy Broadway Standard gets a lot of work also because it is on the kit at home. The Leedy and Ludwig 6.5 goes out for big band or just when I feel like it.

Last edited:

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I own a lotta snares but one I gravitated back to is the PP BoB 6.5x14. Since trying different heads and snares I found happy happy joy joy as it can really handle anything I throw at it.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've pretty much used exclusively one snare for my rock gigs since 2017: a 1980s Yamaha SD-495.
For jazz, it's a mid-2000s Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl Maple Classic 5x14.
All of my other snares have been in hibernation.

GoMarkGo

Reaction score
I’ve used a 6.5x14 Gretsch Silver Series hammered brass for everything for a while now.

Christopher

Reaction score
My 6.5 X 14 Ludwig Black Magic always finds it way back to my snare stand. There’s just something special about it. It plays and sounds great and never chokes out.
Here are two tracks I used it on recently.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've moved a lot of snares through my stable over the last few years ( I counted 24 I have sold in the last 3 years or less) but I have been coming back to this 2015 George Way 6.5" Elkhart Copper for the majority of my local work the last year and a half for sure. It's fat, responsive and relatively quiet and pretty dry so a nice option for most of my smaller dates. The year and a half I was with the Toto tribute show, I used a 6.5" INDe aluminum exclusively. It was the right sound for the era, fat and punchy with a nice dry crack!

20180331_220349 5X7.jpg

Rufus T Firefly

Reaction score
Slkingerland Spitfire gets the most work because it fits the rest of the kit, I've been playing for 30+ years and it sounds great. The Leedy Broadway Standard gets a lot of work also because it is on the lit at home. The Leedy and Ludwig 6.5 goes out for big band or just when I feel like it.
Love the sound of the Spitfire.

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
These 2. In 2013 I got bitten by a vintage snare bug. The only other one I have now is a premier 51/2" premier genista snare ( birch) 90s, that goes with the 90s genista kit I got last year, but I'm not using it much as I'm not playing much rock/ pop stuff lately. Not that I wouldn't use these 2 for that, especially the 60s one! but they are everything I could need for big band. Even though everything's called off due to the damn virus.

Attachments

Last edited:

AustinFitz

Reaction score
My most played snare is definitely my '70s 14×6.5" Pearl COB Jupiter. It just does anything and everything, and does it well! Super versatile with it's parallel strainer and internal muffler. The strainer can be a bit finicky to dial in initially, and she's a bit heavy, but man does she sound good!!!

IMG_20190331_124833.jpg

IMG_20200115_031536.jpg

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Over all my years of playing: my ca 1962 5" Supra.
Later years: my 8" Eames snare.
Then in various recording sessions and different smaller combos: my 6 1/2 90's Black Beauty and my wood 4" 60's Premier Royal Ace.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you asked me three months or so ago , the drum in my avatar would have been my workhorse snare drum .

in the last few months the 7” N&C Ash SS has been getting a ton of stand time . It is a remarkable drum and phat and resonant and surprisingly sensitive .

As stated in the first line the pictured 6 x 14 N&C Walnut SS is my old reliable snare. It sounds great in pretty much any room. The Ash snare is newer and I have been dialing it in, which is why it is getting the most use now. I will eventually go back to the Walnut ( I always do).

Attachments

Last edited:

PressRoll

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
INDe Copper 6.5x14 is on my stand 80-85% of the time now. Has the perfect balance of punch and articulation. The other times it's probably either my 6.5 or 5 Supra or my '65 Acro. I have a bunch of snares but always tend to come back to these.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
Over all my years of playing: my ca 1962 5" Supra.
Later years: my 8" Eames snare.
Then in various recording sessions and different smaller combos: my 6 1/2 90's Black Beauty and my wood 4" 60's Premier Royal Ace.
I'd probably like an Eames snare to go with my Natural Tone kit, and it would probably be a 14x8 to get a matching big sound. The kit is 10x9, 13x10, 15x15, 18x16 and 22x15.

Since there's a new guy building the drums they might be a little different now.

Latest posts