What Is Your Most Played Snare and Why?

sjrcass

Reaction score
my favorite as well, a very fine and underated drum
Ditto. It does everything I ask of it. High pitch, low pitch, jazz to metal. It must have been forged by wizards. I’ve owned Joyful Noises, 400s, 402s, BB’s, Acros and all the usual suspects, but my 90’s Ludwig Hammered Bronze is the Sex Panther of snares. “Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.” ✊

Last edited:

ArtieFufkin

Reaction score
I'd probably like an Eames snare to go with my Natural Tone kit, and it would probably be a 14x8 to get a matching big sound. The kit is 10x9, 13x10, 15x15, 18x16 and 22x15.

Since there's a new guy building the drums they might be a little different now.
The guy making them now trained for over a year with the previous owner before he was allowed to buy the business so I think the tradition will be carried on just fine. In fact I have ordered a monster snare from him being built right now, can't wait for it to be completed. I am toying with ordering a kit, but the wife is balking, and how many kits do I actually need :)

Tom Holder

Reaction score
View attachment 432001
Notice I did not ask your favorite, or most valuable, or most collectable, or the one most likely to wow your forum mates, or even your best sounding snare drum. I'm asking what is the snare you play the most, and why?

In other words, no Case Queens. Maybe it's your cheapest snare because you keep your kit at a shared practice space in the skanky part of town, or maybe it's a grail snare you have in your home studio.

That’s mine; what’s yours and why?
Moving and "thinning the herd" recently, I gave my Acrolite to a friend. However, if I were on the proverbial deserted island, I think an Acrolite is the one snare to have. They fit in with just about any style of music, and it's pretty hard to make them sound bad, in my opinion. They're the perfect "first drum" for a youngster. They're inexpensive 'cause there are zillions of them out there. Simple P-83 throw-off works great. I've owned at least three Acrolites over the years and I'll probably get another one before too long.

bob meyer

Reaction score
No one favorite, but here is a sampling of some of my go to snare drums. Different venues and musical situations call for different drums as the "best" match.

Attachments

kzac

Reaction score
My most played snare is a Yamaha chrome student snare (I think its a 22 or 235) ..... The reason why .... its the one I chose after a long search...
I have used the old Ludwig 400 for decades in the past ... never like Acrolite snares, but found I like Yamaha snare drums, just about any of them. Even my late 2017 Yamaha Rydeen snare on my practice kit sounds great...
I have played lots of snare drums in my day. Settled on Yamaha a few years back.... they are consistent in sound from drum to drum....

My feeling on the Ludwig 400 is they have a ringing sound that I never liked ... Acrolite was worse .... so I gave up on trying to get the sound I wanted from Ludwig and swapped around for a while until settling with Yamaha... Not saying their are not other good snares out there .... I think most drum manufacturers no days have snare drum sound down to a specific corridor... The only difference I can see is if one likes tight heads or loose. For those who like tight sound I would suggest a 10 lug snare and for the opposite 8 to 6 lug depending on financial conditions. You can't get a good tight sound out of snares with fewer than 10 lugs....

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
1986 Craviotto Maple
1979 Ludwig Black Beauty
I think in the 80’s the only Craviotto drums were the ‘Solid’ brand. If it’s a mis-type, and supposed to be 1996, this would I think put it into the DW/Craviotto time period. Any pics?

troymiller

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I haven't even read thru all the responses here... but as for me, I'm a sucker for a Supra. I prefer Ludalloy over brass. I've got 6 or 8 of 'em... but for many years running now, I have a 1968 400 that gets 99% of my attention. It's just got a mojo about it, and it does everything I need it to do. I've been preferring an Evans HD Dry batter over an Ambassador reso, with Puresounds. Pretty simple.

karlcrafton

Reaction score
Most played over the last 20 years is a 6.5 Brass Black Beauty, but I just recieved a snare built by a friend a few weeks ago, and it hasn't left my stand.
It's a 6.5 straight Black Brass shell that I used Ludwig hardware and Monroe badge to match my kits.
I haven't owned a straight metal shell before, and I really like the difference in sounds and tones.

I'm well aware that it's "not a Ludwig snare", but I'm not ever selling it anyway.
88336080_871039480009937_8172469212552364032_n.jpg

ajtungeef

Reaction score
i 'm amazed but believe it or not i play my remo 13" acousticon for just about everything.

Latest posts