What Is Your Most Played Snare and Why?

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've been rocking my custom 8x14 Tama Superstar snare for over 2 years now. We tried several snares with the band and this was the favorite.

I believe I did a post about building this one a LONG time ago, but in case I didn't, the shell used to be a 10x14 single-headed Tama Superstar mahogany shell that was cracked badly on the bottom edge when I bought the kit. I took it to a local woodworking shop to have it cut down and re-stained to match the 6" tom that was also part of the kit.

Lugs are half original, half purchased online. Hoops are diecast. Throwoff is Tama but not the correct era, can't remember on the buttplate. I added a damper (brand unknown) and vent hole that I stained myself. Emperor X batter, Ambassador resonant, and Pure Sound wires.
F1DB1549-8CEA-4085-82B9-DB015042800A.JPG

Last edited:

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No one favorite, but here is a sampling of some of my go to snare drums. Different venues and musical situations call for different drums as the "best" match.
Man, those are some impressive “top shelf” snares!

sammy123

Reaction score
I know I mentioned the C&C Player Date earlier, but damn this Sakae Concert Bubinga has been on my stand the most during quarantine. The Remo Renaissance heads that come stock are also great. I am a convert.

DrumSmith

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Vulcan logic dictates that my “most played” snare was a Premier stainless steel marching snare that I played from 8th grade to 12th grade. It was awful. It had snares on the bottom AND top heads!

D

Drummer1990

I have a 14x5 that I bought used in 1973. the only snare drum I've ever owned.
I love my Supraphonic 402 Blue Jay :), want to add at some point a nice 14x5 Supraphonic to the mix just so I have some variety to choose from. Next on my list in April is gonna be a mighty BB 14x6

deegeebee

Reaction score
20200328_091939.jpg

Never had any interest in playing a snare that matches my kit. Then got this Canwood kit about 18 months ago for the kit, not the snare. Turns out I just can't stop playing the snare! Very thin maple shell, unique bearing edge, no vent hole, no badge!, 24 strand chromed wires. I added the Yamaha aluminum cast rims as the final touch to get just a bit more rim shot and click. Plenty of woody tone, but crisp and sensitive when tuned up a bit, not sure why it all works so well together but it does.

Anyone else out there playing Canwoods?

Last edited:

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
View attachment 433051
Never had any interest in playing a snare that matches my kit. Then got this Canwood kit about 18 months ago for the kit, not the snare. Turns out I just can't stop playing the snare! Very thin maple shell, unique bearing edge, no vent hole, 24 strand chromed wires. I added the Yamaha aluminum cast rims as the final touch to get just a bit more rim shot and click. Plenty of woody tone, but crisp and sensitive when tuned up a bit, not sure why it all works so well together but it does.

In the mid 90s, I recorded a Canadian band out of the Hamilton area and their drummer played a very nice sounding Canwood drumset. Every drum sounded really great and went to tape very nicely. I wish I could remember the name of the drummer, but he played with a guitarist named Kevin Briggs...phenomenal player who now lives in London, England and tours the world with many different artists. Some drums are just blessed with being made from the right piece of wood that is worked just right to create the magic. Is Canwood still around? I heard that the owner was a very nice guy to work with. Beautiful tubs.

deegeebee

Reaction score
Not sure how around Canwood are, they still answer emails and have a few Reverb postings, but has been the same couple of kits and snare posted forever. The main builder, Fred Pepper, os not much for computers so they never had much of a web presence. He has another guy working with him that is doing the email and reverb who said last year that they were in the process of setting up a new shop but I don't know if anything came of that.
I bought these NOS from a local guy that used to be a dealer. They are more recent 2014-2016ish era made with surplus Taye lugs, but the shells and the bearing edges are the same, which is where the magic is IMO. Used to have one of those 90s kits and while it also sounded great the Dixon style lugs he used to use back then were kind of crap so the Taye hardware is a welcome upgrade, if not boutique sexy.

Last edited:

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 70's 6.5x14 Super Sensitive that always found its way back to the snare stand until the arrival of my Jenkins Martin 6.5x14. What an amazing and versatile snare. It has the Dunnett 3 way adjustable throw on it and I actually use those settings all the time with this drum. Never really changed snare tension much on other drums. On the JM it really changes the character a lot.

Next in line is my hammered brass Premier. I will toss that on when I want a change. It has just a little more power and clarity. I love this drum more every time I play it. Doesn't quite have the range of sounds that the JM has though.

Attachments

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not sure how around Canwood are, they still answer emails and have a few Reverb postings, but has been the same couple of kits and snare posted forever. The main builder, Fred Pepper, os not much for computers so they never had much of a web presence. He has another guy working with him that is doing the email and reverb who said last year that they were in the process of setting up a new shop but I don't know if anything came of that.
I bought these NOS from a local guy that used to be a dealer. They are more recent 2014-2016ish era made with surplus Taye lugs, but the shells and the bearing edges are the same, which is where the magic is IMO. Used to have one of those 90s kits and while it also sounded great the Dixon style lugs he used to use back then were kind of crap so the Taye hardware is a welcome upgrade, if not boutique sexy.
I agree about the lugs that he was using back in the 90s... Like the old Pearl style lugs...not so sexy, but the finish was beautiful... kind of an antique maple gloss. They sounded fabulous!

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
View attachment 433051
Never had any interest in playing a snare that matches my kit. Then got this Canwood kit about 18 months ago for the kit, not the snare. Turns out I just can't stop playing the snare! Very thin maple shell, unique bearing edge, no vent hole, no badge!, 24 strand chromed wires. I added the Yamaha aluminum cast rims as the final touch to get just a bit more rim shot and click. Plenty of woody tone, but crisp and sensitive when tuned up a bit, not sure why it all works so well together but it does.

i did from 1989 -1994 .... gone but not forgotten

Attachments

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
View attachment 432652

My Joyful Noise 6.5x14 Blackbird Studio Brass snare drum with Adrian Kirchler single flanged hoops would be the snare drum I play the most.
It comes closest to everything I love in a snare drum.
Being some who has not the experience to get to know single flanged hoops, have you compared them to triple, wood, or die cast?

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I dont have many snares, but since I recently put a Fiberskyn Ambassador head on my Gretsch 4160 COB, it's getting the most use right now. The Fiberskyn head makes this drum sound it's best, especially with the snares off. I am slowly falling in love with this snare. When I bought it, I thought I made a mistake. Not so much anymore.

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
The stock Mapex Meridian maple 14x5.5" snare, because it sounds great and matches the kit. I have a few other snares that I really like, and they stay in their cases. The only reason I haven't sold them is because they took so long to find, and one belonged to a friend who is now a rock star.

Latest posts