What Is Your Most Played Snare and Why?

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
I get a very different vibe from different size/depth/brand bass drums, and I’m fussy about the ride because it really sets the mood.... but for snares it really can be whatever is handy. I LIKE certain ones better, but if I hit it and it goes *SNARE*, I’m not very particular. I feel in the minority on this.

It’s not from lack of nice ones, it’s just that I hit almost any of them and it’s “Sounds cool let’s rock” and off I go.

eigentone

Reaction score
Ludwig 5" x 14" Hammered Bronze with tube lugs.

It's sensitive, fast, sounds well-balanced. Plenty loud for practice. Not too much ring and not too aggressive. When I want a louder/fatter tone, I grab my 6.5" x 14" Hammered Bronze with Imperial lugs. When I want a drier tone, I use the Aluminum. Those three get over 96% of the play time. Various Puresound wires and Remo heads on them all.

amazish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I get a very different vibe from different size/depth/brand bass drums, and I’m fussy about the ride because it really sets the mood.... but for snares it really can be whatever is handy. I LIKE certain ones better, but if I hit it and it goes *SNARE*, I’m not very particular. I feel in the minority on this.

It’s not from lack of nice ones, it’s just that I hit almost any of them and it’s “Sounds cool let’s rock” and off I go.
I second that emotion

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes! 79' 6 1/2×14 Mach engraved BB
Same here!
79 machine engraved 6 1/2x14.
Former rental snare of Slagtøtcenter in Copenhagen - I wonder what kind of action it has seen through the years. In studios, at the famous jazz clubs in Copenhagen and at Roskilde Festival (one of Europe's oldest and largest festivals)

Reaction score
Do you make hoops 4sale?
heyo....no..pretty sure that is a set of pearl hoops,maybe tama.. I had the shell cut and bearing edges installed by a machinist then did the rest myself. That said,with the exception of the shell,all parts are from known manufacturers.

Reaction score
Self made 25 lbs....Everything is cast... View attachment 433413
Pretty amazing...
Funny story with this snare...After i assembled it,installed heads and such it sounded terrible...Thin and brittle..I was bummed out because I thought maybe I had exceeded the useful rigidity of a drum shell(this is 9.5mm of steel) and in turn made a useless,toneless snare drum..But easy on the eyes..ha
It got stowed away. Pulled it out a year or so later..Loosened the top batter head,re set it and re tuned it.
It sounded like I was hoping..Massive,bright and cutting. So it was clearly a case of the head not being seated correctly,leaving zero tone.
Got to learn the hard way sometimes.

JazzDoc

Reaction score
Being some who has not the experience to get to know single flanged hoops, have you compared them to triple, wood, or die cast?
Well I've played excellent snare drums with each of those varieties of hoops, but on this particular snare drum I've only used the triple flanged hoops that it came with - 2.3mm NOB - and now the Adrian Kirchlers. Both sounded great but Adrian's opened the drum up just a bit (surprisingly) and the solidity of the rim shots are amazing! And aesthetically there's just no comparison.

scpdpdrummer

Reaction score
New to the DrumForum. I rebuilt a used PDP SX hammered brass snare. Replaced the hoops with DW true hoops with addednylon insert washers, installed the Mag throw off and three position snare butt. Ambassador batter and 3 mil ambassador snare head with true pitch wires with clips and tape. Once I got the heads tuned, it really sounds as a snare drum should to my ear. I use half a moon gel to dampen it some.

Attachments

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
I've only three snares, and they all sound great and get their fair share of rotation, but this Tama Soundworks 14x6.5 Maple which has inward curved Sound Arc hoops is my favourite. My Tempus fibreglass 14x6.5 is next fave and my Supra 14x5 not far behind. But the Tama Soundworks is a great drum, has great tone and presence without being overbearing, just the right amount of ring, and was not expensive, even here in Oz. My photo makes it look like an eight lug drum, but it's not, it has 10 lugs.

Tama Soundworks Maple 6 ply 14x6.5.JPG

Last edited:

scpdpdrummer

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, scpdpdrummer!

I had one of those hammered Pacifics years ago. Traded it along with some other gear to Sam Adato in SF for some Sonors.

Mine was nowhere near as sweet and tricked as yours.
Thanks. I kinda took a 20+ year hiatus from percussion and have recently returned. Never realized till now it’s how much I enjoyed playing!!

Latest posts