What is your opinion in sm57 clone mic

nmosko

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m not really sure what you are asking. Do you mean what is our opinion of the mics from other brands that are pretty much the same as the sm57?

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Why would you need a clone of a mic that is both common and affordable? When I think of clones, I think of expensive Neumanns and the like.

Dan

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you mean to buy a SM57 knockoff at $49 instead of buying a Real SM57 made by Shure for $99?

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have had a few cheap clones... last one was Polk. It is a real POS. SM57's have a magic to 'em. Look for a used one.

OR>>>>>>

Get an Audix i5. I have done a fair share of recording and am currently using a stereo pair of i5 mics into a FOCUSRITE Scarlett 2 channel USB interface for YouTube videos.

They are similar yet BETTER than SM57's and you can pick up used ones at a fair price.

I have also used them on snare/bass, and guitar amp cabinets. I would not hesitate to use them for anything EXCEPT FOR aggressive close-mic'ed vocals.

Here ya go... $69 open box...

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shure’s patent for the capsule ran out long ago. As a result, at least 3 major brands that I know of use a cloned capsule. Some of those are more highly regarded than the original.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have had a few cheap clones... last one was Polk. It is a real POS. SM57's have a magic to 'em. Look for a used one.

OR>>>>>>

Get an Audix i5
. I have done a fair share of recording and am currently using a stereo pair of i5 mics into a FOCUSRITE Scarlett 2 channel USB interface for YouTube videos.

They are similar yet BETTER than SM57's and you can pick up used ones at a fair price.

I have also used them on snare/bass, and guitar amp cabinets. I would not hesitate to use them for anything EXCEPT FOR aggressive close-mic'ed vocals.

Here ya go... $69 open box...

Agreed. I5 is better than SM57. SM57 is tinny and thin sounding. I5 has more body to it.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I find the i5 has a bit too much of its own character. It sounds great in isolation, but the 57 just sits in the mix better, IMO.
I've had decent results with the i5 underneath the drum, but never got a final product I was happy with up top. It was always a 57 until I switched to an m201 last year. I do like the physical design of the i5 a lot better (shorter, much more durable windscreen), and it also has much better rejection than the 57.

swayed1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I find the i5 has a bit too much of its own character. It sounds great in isolation, but the 57 just sits in the mix better, IMO.
I've had decent results with the i5 underneath the drum, but never got a final product I was happy with up top. It was always a 57 until I switched to an m201 last year. I do like the physical design of the i5 a lot better (shorter, much more durable windscreen), and it also has much better rejection than the 57.
If rejection is a concern I would look at the SE VX7. I A/B’d a m201 vs the SE VX7 and the SE is a game changer (for reducing bleed through) IMO. m201 is a very clean sounding snare mic though.

Stickclick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For live shows, adjust tone at the mixer and all the knockffs sound the same to me. That's pretty good. I've been using a $ 13 mic for 10 years. So they can be durable (and workable).

Northamusi

Reaction score
For crying out loud the SM57 and i5 are basically a hundred bucks each. Buy both and use your ears.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
For crying out loud the SM57 and i5 are basically a hundred bucks each. Buy both and use your ears.
This^^^^^^^
Yes, 1000x, but this dude is in the Philippines with extremely limited resources.

The TBone MB75 has gotten some high praise, and it's like $35 US. There are comparison YouTube videos out there.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
M201's are GREAT... Like 57's on steroids.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get what you can afford! Something is better than nothing! Microphone placement is everything! Learn what it can do for you and what it can't. Then work from there. Good luck!

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everybody has a recipe that works for them. I'm no different. I''m an Audix and Rode guy when it comes to miking my drums. I still have a bunch of AKG, Sennheiser and Schoeps microphones from my film and video days. I've gotten great results with the following: Audix D1 on top or bottom of the snare. Audix D2 on the rack-toms. Audix D4 on the 16 &18 floor toms. Audix D6 on the 20 floor tom. All floor toms are mic'd from the bottom. Audix D6 inside the non-ported bass drum on a Mays mount. I'm a non-ported guy. Outside the bass drum I will go with anything in my collection from a Rode NT1, NTR or even a Rode NTG3 shotgun microphone for something different. For the outside of the bass anything is possible. For my overheads I like a pair of my Rode NT2000, the Audix ADX15 or the Audix A131. For my hats I love the Rode NT5 or the Audix D1. For my room mics I run a Rode NTR above and behind the drummer and overheads. I run another NTR on the right and left of the drum kit out front at about eye-level to the drummer. Sometimes lower and spaced further apart. My main ride cymbal gets a Rode Lavalier underneath and close to the bell. It's gaffer-taped to a coat-hanger wire bent to shape. Another Lavalier goes to my second set of cable hats to my right. Sometimes I'll also run a Lavalier to the bottom of the snare keeping the D1 on top. Perfect! Every mic runs through it's own Cloud Lifter, it's own Presonus Channel Strip, then all go to a Tascam M16 or M24 board. Got both. I favor the 16. The simplicity of Analog rules. And from the mixer to a pair of Tascam SD 20m recorders for back-up. No stinking computer needed to get it on an SD card. I do little, if any, EQ and I do no compression up front. Just gain as needed via the Channel Strip only. The Cloud Lifters are great! I have great dynamic control and know how to tune my drums. My recording space is my living room and is well treated acoustically. My headphones of choice are the Beyer Dynamic 80 ohm DT 770 and the Sony 7506. Got about a six of each scattered about the house. My software of choice is the Presonus Studio One, the El Cheapo edition. All my doctoring is in post, never before. My computers of choice and budget is an identical pair of surplus Dell 7010 desktops with i5 3470 3.2ghz 64 bit 16g Ram and dual 1TB SSD. Windows 10 and identically set up even with the same exact keyed OS. I'm 100% Mogami cabled with only Neutrik and Switchcraft connectors. Juice is managed by a pair of Furman IT Reference 15i conditioners. Good enough for what I do. A very healthy and simple analog setup for me. Undergoing a stinking CoVid-delayed home rehab and can't wait to get my gear out of storage. Drum on!