What is your unpopular drum opinion?

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My push back on that is I feel like you're probably hearing the differences in heads/tuning. Close mic'd in the studio is a different situation.
To me, it depends on the band and the gig, but I hear what I hear. At some gigs you're unlikely to hear much nuance when the whole band is wailing away, but when there's any kind of dynamics and space, I can easily hear the difference between a nice kit tuned well and a janky kit tuned well. I don't know that this would be an opinion as much as it's what I hear.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Most <$150 name brand snares are just as good as $1000 pieces of furniture these days.
Yamaha,Mapex and 3rd party OEM (Ludwig) make very high qualty snares that 98% of working drummers could use on a gig and most folks couldn't tell the difference.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was my point pretty much. It definitely matters to us, for sure. But no one else gives 2 doo doos about the drums
I do think there is a distinction between the audience not knowing what they are missing, and the audience missing out on a better experience. The audience could have left feeling more "wowed" than they did, even if they couldn't fully articulate "why". I think even the casual listener understands when something sounds great, even great sounding drums. I think it's important to strive for that over "well, it's functional and nobody complained".

Tufty

Reaction score
I said NEED, that's the operative word. I have nothing against monster kits and the people that play them. I wonder how big their kits would have been if they didn't have unionized road crews and techs though? Billy Cobham would be able to rip through the Mahavishnu catalog on a 4 pc, ride and crash and it would sound totally appropriate and like Billy Cobham. It's the insistence some people make, that it's a necessity, that im referring to.. In Terry Bozios case, (solo percussion performance) the NEED gets a little murkier. The weekend warriors, that insist on the 12 piece kit to play Mustang Sally to 14 drunks on a Saturday night come to mind however and they do exist and they do insist that they NEED all those drums. Simon doesn't need his huge kit to facilitate his ability, its a choice and what he prefers but his skills as a drummer come from his natural ability, combined with tons of hard work and years of experience playing among the worlds most talented professionals.
Billy Cobham plays his ass off here on a small kit with Horace Silver
1622311474690.jpeg

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A&F drums are a gimmick. Reliced taiwanese hardware on basic shells heavy on the hipster decorations for premium dollars.

Bonham & Peart are not in my top 10 favorite rock drummers.

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'll play...

I think Paiste cymbals sound like expensive B8s. They're all tinny and brash.....just like beginner cymbals.
Other MAJOR cymbal makers are jealous that Paiste has the B8 formula down. Being B8 does not equate to 'cheap'. The drummer world was convinced about B8 thru proper marketing/propaganda by these 'so called' cymbal smiths, because they knew they could never reach nor duplicate the pure quality sounds Paiste has with B8. The best they could do with B8, unlike Paiste, is produce and offer cheap cymbals. Hence, the marketing played that way.
I have always said, "Nobody does B8 better than Paiste"...nor B15. I would not cut them short

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other MAJOR cymbal makers are jealous that Paiste has the B8 formula down. Being B8 does not equate to 'cheap'. The drummer world was convinced about B8 thru proper marketing/propaganda by these 'so called' cymbal smiths, because they knew they could never reach nor duplicate the pure quality sounds Paiste has with B8. The best they could do with B8, unlike Paiste, is produce and offer cheap cymbals. Hence, the marketing played that way.
I have always said, "Nobody does B8 better than Paiste"...nor B15. I would not cut them short
Oh, they could do it. They choose not to. There's no magic involved. In order to have products at all price points, manufacturers purposefully release inferior products. That way they can sell things to people who would never buy their higher end products, while not cutting into sales of the high end products. The B8 allows them to use a cheap sheet stamping process, which to my understanding, isn't possible with B20.

redbeard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it was already mentioned but having Pro gear and not having the chops to match. I love playing the drums but am slightly above amateur status ability wise. But to my ears I can't play on cheap gear. The few times I get to play in the basement I want it to be as close to sonic perfection as I can get it. I have Paiste sigs, UFIPS and Pro snares. I save my money on hardware as nothing moves out of the basement.

goodcat1337

Reaction score
A&F drums are a gimmick. Reliced taiwanese hardware on basic shells heavy on the hipster decorations for premium dollars.

Bonham & Peart are not in my top 10 favorite rock drummers.
I definitely think A&F are over priced, but from everything I've seen, they make all their own components. From shells to lugs to hoops.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
12, 14, 18 bop sets are just the micro-kits of the 50's and 60's.