2. I still like Rush and NP.
3. I don’t get “The Blues.”
4. I don’t like blast beats.

That’s a start for me.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This will really bring on the death threats and hate mail, but I'm in complete agreement with Bill Bruford's assessment of Charlie Watts when he said, he loves Charlie deeply as a person, but as a drummer "he's got all the grace of a slug."

OZjazzer

Reaction score
I don't like Buddy Rich.
I don’t either. Being a very old drummer the thing I’ve had to put up with all my life is the assumption that because I play drums I must like BR. I don’t. I mean I really don’t.

Oh yes. Another thing I hate. As a general rule (there are odd exceptions) I hate listening to drum solos. Especially the ones that don’t even follow the form of the song.

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Okay, here goes….
I am a performer and teacher, but….
Videos of DCI snare solos, and set/kit players doing as many 32nd and 64th notes as humanly possible with ZERO thought about musicality. And it does not even fit the music or ensemble! Yes, you have chops and technical abilities, but knowing when to play…

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I never had a desire to play a drum solo. I used to love listening to them, especially the Phil Collins/ Chester Thompson duets (which I still find intriguing and musical) but most others tend to bore me. I usually respect them on some level, hopefully many levels, but they don't usually intrigue or inspire me.

Last edited:

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing your a rocker in an average highly amplified band. For Jazz Combos even with other instruments amped, 14in floor tom is more than enough in my 65 plus years of experience.

OZjazzer

Reaction score
Jazz today is overrated. Much of today's "jazz" is hopelessly formulaic, with drummers playing in a typical and expected way. I put the blame for this squarely on Wynton Marsalis's shoulders, for homogenizing and standardizing jazz into a commercial entity.
Now that’s the best thing to have come out of this thread. So many of today’s smart young jazz drummers can play exactly like all the other smart young drummers. The guys who learned on the stand worked it out for themselves and all sounded completely different and instantly recognisable. Now???

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing your a rocker in an average highly amplified band. For Jazz Combos even with other instruments amped, 14in floor tom is more than enough in my 65 plus years of experience.
Whaa? Its supposed to be unpopular...get it?

bernard

Reaction score
No, no, I love 14" (and 15") toms, I was just trying to figure out the maths and the jump from 14/16 to 50 %. Still don't get it.

bernard

Reaction score
Now that’s the best thing to have come out of this thread. So many of today’s smart young jazz drummers can play exactly like all the other smart young drummers. The guys who learned on the stand worked it out for themselves and all sounded completely different and instantly recognisable. Now???
Richard Spaven? Mark Guiliana? Nate Smith? (OK, not exactly "up and coming", but from a younger generation and instantly recognizable.)

Sprice

Reaction score
Richard Spaven? Mark Guiliana? Nate Smith? (OK, not exactly "up and coming", but from a younger generation and instantly recognizable.)
I had to look up out Spaven. Man, that's nice.
It's always funny to me that people talk about how everything they like is super original and has feeling but everything else all sounds the same and is soul-less. They don't see the logical fallacy that obviously if we like something we'll listen more and be more familiar and learn the subtleties to where it all sounds different. If you only listen to a couple snippets from YouTube clips you're not going to get it. That's why there will never be much love on this forum for guys like Dobber Beverly, Chris Dave, or JD Beck because their respective genres "all sound the same."

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No, no, I love 14" (and 15") toms, I was just trying to figure out the maths and the jump from 14/16 to 50 %. Still don't get it.
14 is 87.5% of 16....but the 'oomph' of a 14 is only about half (i.e. 50%) of a 16.

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate conga playing on straight ahead jazz tunes. I love conga playing on Latin.