What is your unpopular drum opinion?

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m not impressed by your minimalist kit. I don’t automatically give you more cred because you have no toms or only 1 cymbal. Serve the music and stop with this ‘reverse-measuring’ contest.
I'm just lazy about carrying gear...and I play mostly country music so I'm not doing Rush fills.

IMG_6167.jpeg

notINtheband

Reaction score
I'm just lazy about carrying gear...and I play mostly country music so I'm not doing Rush fills.

View attachment 504447
One of my kits is a Tama Club Jam kit, which I bought specifically for gigs where the venue was so tiny they wanted the drummer to bring a Cajon. The tiny gig kit was magic for allowing me to play an actual working kit rather than a box. So wasn’t really referring to those situations. More so the guys that brag on how minimal their kits are as if it implies they are so creative they don’t need more than a snare and a hi hat where lesser drummers bring 3 or 4 toms as some kind of compensation for a lack of creativity.

1988fxlr

Reaction score
Bell brass snare sound isn't worth the price. Same for Craviatto's, SQ2's, DW, .........
I was a child learning drums the right time for Lars Ulrich to have been a hero. If one came up cheap I’d love it just to play the eighth notes from sad but true over and over

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When you bash generally accepted standard products / techniques, it says a lot more about you than the product / technique:

You say: "Yamaha Stage Customs / Gretsch Catalina / Ludwig Neusonics suck!"
I hear: "I don't know how to tune drums"

You say: "I hate SM57 on snare"
I hear: "I don't know how to record drums"

You say: "Playing to a click robs you of feel"
I hear: "I don't know how to play to a click"

You say: "Ringo / Rudd / Keltner sucks"
I hear: "I've never played in a band that makes music people want to hear"

edited to add: This doesn't mean you can't have preferences. I prefer an m201 on snare to a 57. I'm talking about the people who outright dismiss proven winners.
Lol!

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that's an unpopular opinion!
I happen to believe opinions result from experiences and the way in which we as individuals process them . My experience from eating shellfish may be different from yours , neither is right nor wrong . For many , school was an affirming experience , for others a hideous one . Again, neither is right nor wrong, but what is .In a perfect world, what was should not define what is. As individuals we will sooner or later have to re examine the imposition of our ' correct ' opinion on others . This opportunity may hopefully lead to a transformative experience .We come home from the war - all the wars . It's about a willingness to allow others validation, however divergent their viewpoints .If somebody tells me that 2 plus 2 equals 5 , then I might suggest a mistake , but if the same person tells me that 2 plus 2 equals 117 , then I should try and discern how they arrived at this conclusion .

I can't believe I just wrote that .

Oh well ...

Amen .

Last edited:

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Ha ha… where were you 20 years ago? Harry would have given you a gold star, elephant stamp and a lifetime DCI membership.

Me, I couldn’t give a rats ….

Who's Harry? DCI?
This DFO drum forum actually morphed from the DCI drum forum in Aug 2005... and most of the DCI members came across to DFO back then. If you look in peoples sigs and see an Aug 2005 join date, they were DCI members for sure.

The DCI forum was operated by Harry Cangany, who also owned the Drum Centre of Indianapolis drum-shop. I joined DCI forum in 2000, after emailing Harry about some vintage drums, as he is quite the vintage expert, and he invited me to join DCI, which I'm glad I did.

Anyway, for whatever reason... I don't know, but Harry hated Yamaha with a passion.

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And…..
I hands down love the early 80’s Ludwigs!
I like the brick thick 6ply maple/poplar shells, in power tom depths, with tooooooo many lugs (but Mach’s win), and the monster twin channel die cast hoops, and MODULAR HARDWARE!

T_Weaves

Reaction score
This DFO drum forum actually morphed from the DCI drum forum in Aug 2005... and most of the DCI members came across to DFO back then. If you look in peoples sigs and see an Aug 2005 join date, they were DCI members for sure.

The DCI forum was operated by Harry Cangany, who also owned the Drum Centre of Indianapolis drum-shop. I joined DCI forum in 2000, after emailing Harry about some vintage drums, as he is quite the vintage expert, and he invited me to join DCI, which I'm glad I did.

Anyway, for whatever reason... I don't know, but Harry hated Yamaha with a passion.
That's good info. I think I would would have liked Harry!

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The long standing, widespread popularity of Yamaha drums among amateurs and pros speaks for itself. Your previous comments that ". . . Yamaha drums have no soul/character and that the Stage Custom is NOT a good value. In fact I think they are horrific," is silly on its face. That some Yamaha drums are made in china seems to have touched your nerve.
This seems to be the right place to state that they suck right? Lol

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Simply saying that you are a Ringo super fan is much better than grossly over exaggerating how hard it is to play his drumming. Ringo being a left on a right handed kit is not as amazing as people make it out to be... another unpopular opinion is that people can say things like this and still respect Ringo and his contribution to music history. It doesn’t mean that you can’t play or don’t respect the “pocket.”