What is your unpopular drum opinion?

Tufty

Reaction score
There are those who can't play without one .
I did a rock gig for a few years with a trio who always had a fourth member multi-instrumentalist. When he quit we couldn’t find a suitable replacement. Leader just put all the parts on loops which I controlled from a computer. It really taught me to play in time.

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounded good with Gillespie’s big band.
If anyone, it certainly would be a Dizzy band.
Can you name a straight ahead tune of his w conga that I could check out that

Tufty

Reaction score
If anyone, it certainly would be a Dizzy band.
Can you name a straight ahead tune of his w conga that I could check out that
There are likely others but one that jumped to mind was Good Bait. I think recorded with Columbia. Big band version.

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are likely others but one that jumped to mind was Good Bait. I think recorded with Columbia. Big band version.
I’m a big Dizzy fan, and would not dare to criticize him, but that is exactly the feel from the conga player that bugs me. It just kinda makes the groove plod along a bit. To contrast that, I listened to Joe Lovano’s arrangement and it was great. As far as me playing straight ahead, and a conga player wanted to sit in on that feel, I’d cringe a bit. It would be ok, but I’d prefer not. Just an opinion. Many others might like the idea.
if we were playing any Latin tune, yes please.

Tufty

Reaction score
I’m a big Dizzy fan, and would not dare to criticize him, but that is exactly the feel from the conga player that bugs me. It just kinda makes the groove plod along a bit. To contrast that, I listened to Joe Lovano’s arrangement and it was great. As far as me playing straight ahead, and a conga player wanted to sit in on that feel, I’d cringe a bit. It would be ok, but I’d prefer not. Just an opinion. Many others might like the idea.
if we were playing any Latin tune, yes please.
I get what you are saying. I guess I kind of like that pull/ tension going on there.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Simply saying that you are a Ringo super fan is much better than grossly over exaggerating how hard it is to play his drumming. Ringo being a left on a right handed kit is not as amazing as people make it out to be... another unpopular opinion is that people can say things like this and still respect Ringo and his contribution to music history. It doesn’t mean that you can’t play or don’t respect the “pocket.”
You seem to have an obsession with Ringo, or maybe it’s Ringo fans. I haven’t seen anyone saying that Ringo’s parts were particularly difficult to play or technically virtuous. But, IMO, most of his playing tastefully contributed to the Beatle’s music. In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me if many of his drum parts were written by Paul or John.

Last edited:

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You seem to have an obsession with Ringo, or maybe it’s Ringo fans. I haven’t seen anyone saying that Ringo’s parts were particularly difficult to play or technically virtuous. But, IMO, most of his playing tastefully contributed to the Beatle’s music. In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me if many of his drum parts were written by Paul or John.
I’ve seen many people talk about how hard it is to play his stuff and how no one gets it right but Ringo. I have no bigger of an obsession with Ringo than his hive off fans who act as if he’s God’s gift to the drumming world. I’m genuinely surprised you haven’t been attacked for saying that Paul or John wrote his parts. Anything that doesn’t bow down to his drum mastery seems to be blasphemous talk lol. I do admit that I have an obsession with his fans that act like he played drums on water lol

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve seen many people talk about how hard it is to play his stuff and how no one gets it right but Ringo. I have no bigger of an obsession with Ringo than his hive off fans who act as if he’s God’s gift to the drumming world. I’m genuinely surprised you haven’t been attacked for saying that Paul or John wrote his parts. Anything that doesn’t bow down to his drum mastery seems to be blasphemous talk lol. I do admit that I have an obsession with his fans that act like he played drums on water lol
If you say so. Anyway, I’m going with he played drums on acid, but, that’s just conjecture.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diameter first. Agreed. I might have even abided for years. No more. The first number should tell me what size head I need to buy. Period.

When I ordered my STAR Maple in 2019, I asked Shane at Drum Center, "Can we settle this once and for all? He said, "Diameter first". Done. Count me in.
What's Shane got to do with it? I was saying 8 x 12 decades before Shane was even born. TRADITION!!!

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean "tradition" like "the American way"? But the US have no history, so your "tradition" doesn't count.

(This thread was all about unpopular opinions, right?)
The musical instrument we all know as 'the drumset' is an American invention, so I guess the US does have some sway in matters that pertain to it.

Browny

Reaction score
The musical instrument we all know as 'the drumset' is an American invention, so I guess the US does have some sway in matters that pertain to it.
Which is why it’s locked in to that completely backwards imperial system.

And I always put diameter before depth

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Drummers should say that they want more gear rather than saying they bought certain gear based on gigging needs. A good drummer can make most kits work for most gigging needs and the audience (outside of fellow drummers) rarely notice a difference.

drums1225

Reaction score
What's Shane got to do with it? I was saying 8 x 12 decades before Shane was even born. TRADITION!!!
Shane owns the largest drum shop in the country (if not the world) and deals directly with pretty much every major drum manufacturer. A quick look at the websites of Tama, Yamaha, Ludwig, Sonor, and Pearl shows that they have also chosen common sense (diameter/depth) over tradition (depth/diameter).

I'm more than happy to let go of the senseless tradition of leading with the 2nd most relevant dimension, but please excuse me while I go watch my 1" deep TV.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Buyer: Hi, I'm looking for a 42 inch TV screen?
Seller: well we have one that's 4 inches deep

Buyer: I need panelling for a wall that's 5 x 8?
Seller: how thick ?

Tradition or not, depth of a drum is not primarily of interest