header.nohb.html

What is your unpopular drum opinion?

Tubwompus

Reaction score
I…..
am a pioneer.
”How?”, you ask (and glad ya did)…
For two reasons.

1.) I am the sole progenitor of a little-known sub-genre of heavy music that involves 2 18” bass drums and a bag full of brushes. Them what are in the know call it, “dinner metal”.

2.) I singlehandedly invented the bluegrass drum solo.
(Yes, it was me. Look no further.)

So now all you common vermin can go forth with your newfound knowledge and go do…..whatever it is you people do.

That is all

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does do something for you?
Ludwig - I guess it's part nostalgia for my first kit in '66, part being 11 when Ringo was on Ed Sullivan, part the years of reading and rereading the catalogs...

IMG_0085.JPG
IMG_0089.JPG
IMG_0084.JPG
IMG_0267.jpg
Ludwig Maple 1.jpg
ludwig green glitter.JPG
IMG_1482.JPG

Last edited:

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just getting here, and haven't read the whole thread, but...

I do not care for white marine pearl and I don't like oyster black pearl. (And, I own a kit of each!)
Man, I understand and I'm right there with you... I don't like 8 lug snares and almost every snare I own is 8 lug!

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
*Lots of vintage drums were cheap, poorly made, and sounded thin.
Just because we have a fondness for things made in the 60’s and older, doesn’t automatically make them superior.
* Whereas many give some level of automatic veneration to drums from smaller, custom builders, I tend to think that high level drums made by the largest drum manufacturers have way more r&d, testing, quality control, and value due to economies of scale in production.
I’ve always felt that way about bicycles, and do about drums as well.

Even with that said I recognize these things in my new Inde kit and snare, so I’m softening a bit on that knee-jerk impression.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
*Lots of vintage drums were cheap, poorly made, and sounded thin.
Just because we have a fondness for things made in the 60’s and older, doesn’t automatically make them superior.
* Whereas many give some level of automatic veneration to drums from smaller, custom builders, I tend to think that high level drums made by the largest drum manufacturers have way more r&d, testing, quality control, and value due to economies of scale in production.
I’ve always felt that way about bicycles, and do about drums as well.

Even with that said I recognize these things in my new Inde kit and snare, so I’m softening a bit on that knee-jerk impression.
I’m with you 100%.
I’ve been burned over the past 1-2 years with ordering beautiful-looking custom made drums from smaller shops/builders, only to have them arrive and not really sound that great. There have been some exceptions, though, with Summit, Oriollo, and Sugar Percussion being standouts and worth every penny.

Last edited: