What Kind of Grease or Lubricant To Use When Rebuilding BD Pedals

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have taken apart several 1970's Pearl BD Pedals. They came with needle ball bearings..
I took apart the axle (the part that holds the beater) and removed the round bearings... I lubricated with White lithium grease.
Is this the best lubricant to use.

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The bearings are rather inexpensive and I would just purchase new ones. Sealed. Almost all pedals out of Asia use the same size bearings in the posts. After having messed around with pedals the last 8 months I have been surprised to see how interchangeable some parts are between companies, especially bearings, and it does not matter the expense level of the pedal.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
I mix a bit of automotive bearing grease with automatic transmission fluid . Or, if you occasionally use STP Oil Treatment , dont throw out the plastic bottle- there's always a little bit left in the bottom . Set it upside down on your bench and come back tomorrow - there's usually enough to fill the cap . That stuff is terirfic !!

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have taken apart several 1970's Pearl BD Pedals. They came with needle ball bearings..
I took apart the axle (the part that holds the beater) and removed the round bearings... I lubricated with White lithium grease.
Needle Ball Bearings? No such animal. They are either Ball bearings or Needle bearings.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I was refurbing a pedal I would get new sealed bearings. Otherwise I would totally clean the old bearings with Acetone and put in new grease. Since you dont know what the old lubricant was you don't want possibly dissimilar greases acting against each other. NLGI 2 is fine. I like and use Super Lube.

On the one

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use this stuff called Phil's roller bearing grease. I got it with some bike parts a fairly new tube.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Anything used for guns or fishing reels is a pretty safe bet.

Vaseline is a great light grease but you will have to re-apply it every so often.

I used to use graphite grease...it works great but it is so damn messy that I cleaned it off of everything and quit using it in favor of the above mentioned.

I stay away from sticky oils and greases because they collect dirt and that just gums things up.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
White lithium grease.
Not in my experience. Go to your auto parts store and pick up a tube of bearing and/or axle grease. If they have the synthetic version, much better.

Clean out the ball bearings with acetone or lacquer thinner on a brush, then blow all the thinner out of bearings so that they are dry inside. At this point, I add an excess of grease between the inner and outer races and using my fingers I force the lube into the bearing while rotating the center race. Once you're positive that every ball is covered in grease, use a towel and wipe it clean - but don't wipe grease out of the bearing itself.

Same procedure for the needle bearings, just be careful to not lose the rollers if they are removable from the race.

GeeDeeEmm

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I started looking for white lithium grease over here, I found it's sold as "ball bearing grease", for inline skates etc.