header.nohb.html

What kind of Microphone in a 15"X8" snare?

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
So, just few days before receiving some extra cash to order my Summit Drums Walnut 15"X8" that I will put between my @3" rack Tom and my 16"X16" Floor Tom. I got this idea with the Tama Star Reserve 15x8 Maple Bubinga that was presented by Robert Sput Searight but some of you told me that, that much money on a specialty snare might not be the best choice to make. So, as Gary was also really praised here, we have started a discussion few months ago and I will use it also as my 15" Flore Tom (like Robert Searight was doing as well.

BUT, and this is the question, what this of microphone should I put on this snare/Tom?:
A pure floor Tom mic like the D4 Audix that I have in my 16"? A pure snare Mic like an Audix i7? A condenser mic? Like an AT4041? I already have these mics so, that's why I suggest them...
Let me know what you think.

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm reopening this little thread because I was just listening again to Sweetwater mic shoot out for snares and realized that they have good reviews of the Telefunken M80 and that DCP uses it quite often. Plus, it seems that the M81 as a bottom mic could also make them a good pair on my 15x8" snare/Floor Tom. I didn't think about them at first because they were too big and I don't have a lot of room between the Sanre and the ride on top of it but I discover that they offer a short version of them, specially for snares or toms. So, does anyone has used them? Opinions?

makinao

Reaction score
Try whatever you have. Start with a dynamic on top. If it can't catch enough snare, try a bottom mic too. Can be a dynamic or small diaphragm contender. Oh, and don't forget to factor in the overheads.

Any home right now I'm using a Beyerdynamic M102TG on my Pearl Masters 14x6.5 brass. My SM81 overheads pick up enough snare sound, so I don't need a bottom mic.

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
I like 57s or Beta56 on top. I also like the Granelli Audio Labs modified 57. It's killer on snare drums.
Finally, even a Sennhesier 604 will work nicely and is very convenient because it just clips onto the hoop. For live purposes, it passes the sonic test and negates you having to bring a small mic stand for the snare drum. I have been using one of these for the past 5 years on live gigs. In the studio, I will go with the first three mentioned, however.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like 57s or Beta56 on top. I also like the Granelli Audio Labs modified 57. It's killer on snare drums.
Finally, even a Sennhesier 604 will work nicely and is very convenient because it just clips onto the hoop. For live purposes, it passes the sonic test and negates you having to bring a small mic stand for the snare drum. I have been using one of these for the past 5 years on live gigs. In the studio, I will go with the first three mentioned, however.

I've heard of these but have never seen one in action. How does it eliminate the need for a mic stand? They fit in rim clips?

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've heard of these but have never seen one in action. How does it eliminate the need for a mic stand? They fit in rim clips?
It doesn't. This one needs a mic stand. You misread my post. The Sennheiser 604 mics have the clip attached.

WesChilton

Reaction score
Ah this is interesting. I have used SM57s for literally decades and know them very well. I have also used 421s, 414s, 441s and a few different mics. But mostly the SM57.

I also was very intrigued by the Sweetwater's snare mic shootout, and also thought that the Telefunken M80SH sounded really good, so I bought one! I have had it on several of my snares over the last year or so and it records very well. The short size, right angle xlr cable and clip mount all really help in mic placement and get into spots I had a hard time getting into with a longer mic and straight cable on a stand.

As far as tone, I feel that the M80 is a flatter, slightly brighter mic than the mid-humped 57, which helps with attack. I also use a Shure 545D as my bottom snare mic (the grandpa of the SM57) and the two work together pretty well.

I have to say though, that when I want a really fat, deep snare sound, I pull out my 1959 Ludwig marching snare (10x15) and put an old 70s 421-N on it. It just brings the BEEF.

Attachments

• IMG_2828.JPG
    IMG_2828.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 14

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm reopening this little thread because I was just listening again to Sweetwater mic shoot out for snares and realized that they have good reviews of the Telefunken M80 and that DCP uses it quite often. Plus, it seems that the M81 as a bottom mic could also make them a good pair on my 15x8" snare/Floor Tom. I didn't think about them at first because they were too big and I don't have a lot of room between the Sanre and the ride on top of it but I discover that they offer a short version of them, specially for snares or toms. So, does anyone has used them? Opinions?
I've had an M80 for a while but it rapidly fell in the " not used" pile because of its quite harsh sounding high frequencies. I used it mostly on vocals at the time but one would think it'd take some pretty radical EQing to make a snare or guitar amp sound smooth with this mic... I'm of the school of using mics that have built-in frequency response that somewhat match, compliments or enhances the source. It usually isn't the case if you have to do broad and deep cuts just to make your source somewhat listenable... That said anything can "work" with a bit of massaging...

Pre ‘72

Reaction score
SM57 over a Neumann KM84.
Bottom mic right at the edge/end of the snare about an inch off the bottom head. Top mic hovering right over the rim.

But also matters what outboard mic pre/interface you might have.

WesChilton

Reaction score
M80 harsh? No, you're doing something wrong. There is nothing harsh about that mic.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
M80 harsh? No, you're doing something wrong. There is nothing harsh about that mic.
Well maybe they've changed the components somehow over the years, mine was very early after the introduction of the model. My brother and I were all amped up about the revival of the brand. He owns a studio and swears his V76s are the best sounding preamps he has ever heard (and trust me, he owns all the must-have ones). So I bought the M80 with great expectations. The unit I bought for myself was really hyped in the 4 to 6k area, enough to always feel somewhat uncomfortable and/or sybillent if not significantly EQ'd. To put it mildly, this was no 421. The unit was sent to the place of purchase and came back with the notice that nothing was wrong... So either other M80's are indeed smooth and mine was faulty or we have a different definition of what smooth (or harsh) is.

WesChilton

Reaction score
Yeah terms are pretty subjective for sure. I wouldn't compare the M80 to a 421 either, its a completely different sound. The mic I have doesnt sound hyped at all, actually very flat. Sort of like a 57 with a blanket pulled off of it. I suppose its possible if you got a really early one, they were still finding what worked and it was different. Or possibly defective.

I can post a snare track with just that mic, maybe that would be useful... no EQ or anything else.

Vintage Old School

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
So, just few days before receiving some extra cash to order my Summit Drums Walnut 15"X8" that I will put between my @3" rack Tom and my 16"X16" Floor Tom. I got this idea with the Tama Star Reserve 15x8 Maple Bubinga that was presented by Robert Sput Searight but some of you told me that, that much money on a specialty snare might not be the best choice to make. So, as Gary was also really praised here, we have started a discussion few months ago and I will use it also as my 15" Flore Tom (like Robert Searight was doing as well.

BUT, and this is the question, what this of microphone should I put on this snare/Tom?:
A pure floor Tom mic like the D4 Audix that I have in my 16"? A pure snare Mic like an Audix i7? A condenser mic? Like an AT4041? I already have these mics so, that's why I suggest them...
Let me know what you think.
If it were me I'd use an Audio-Technica ATM25 on the snare batter head. The ATM25 is discontinued but you should be able to find a used one for a reasonable price. It works well on snares and toms snd would be an ideal choice for a 15" X 8" snare.

On the batter side the Telefunken M81 makes more sense than the M80 as it has a flatter frequency for capturing the snare wires.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you get the snare yet? I would definitely start with an sm57, the coated ambassador of mics, and take it from there.....

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No, not yet, it's on its way via usps, from Ohio to Canada.

Last edited:

mfk252

Reaction score
I have most of the snare mics mentioned in this thread, but my M80 gets used the most on my snares (usually alongside a small diaphragm condenser).

I really love it on my 15" Beier snare. I typically don't need to EQ it (unless rolling off very hi/low end).

The M80 is also a great live vocal mic in case you're looking for versatility.