header.nohb.html

What Kind of Setup Do You Have for IEMs?

Tony_H

Reaction score
If you do use IEMs, what is your setup like?

For me I run a feed from the mixer to a Behringer Xenyx 502 Mixer. It has basic High/Low adjustment which sometimes help cut out that annoying high pitch noodling from guitars. Additionally you can adjust the level coming into the mixer as well as an independent adjustment for volume out to the IEMs.

For the mixing portion, we use a Behringer XAir so we can control our own mix via an app on the phone. That feature alone has spoiled me more than I realized until I had to work with a sound guy that adjusted my mix for me.

And of course, the IEMs themselves, which currently are Shure SE535s and a backup pair of SE215s.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always use a pack. Currently using a Shure PSM600hw (hardwired). It has a built in limiter that prevents you from getting your ears blown out from feedback. Especially if anyone else in the band is using wedges, I think it’s an absolute necessity.
Yes, yes, yes — always use a limiter with IEMs. Peter Erskine says he has some permanent hearing loss that was caused by a sudden blast of very loud feedback in his IEMs when he was touring with Steeley Dan.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simple wired. Behringer P1, Shure se112 buds. A little of $100 for everything.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I know next to nothing. I used to use a wedge and then we went wireless so I had an app that would wifi into the board and I could control my mix that way. Because of the volume I got some IEM’s and used those in the same monitor channel.

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to work with a keyboard player that lost all of the hearing in one ear from a snare drum hit during sound check. He was wearing in ears without limiting built in (only one at the time) and the sound guy was adjusting the drum mics. The snare hit through his in ears was so loud it ruptured his ear drum. When I use in ears I use a Shure PSM200 system with SE215s. However, I'm planning on getting custom molded ears in the near future.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use a small Yamaha mixer (3-band eq on each channel) and run a monitor feed from the foh board for a band mix to my ears. However, I also split kick, snare, and overhead mics with Y cables so that I can send each of those straight to dedicated channels on my mixer and to foh simultaneously. It gives me complete control to hear the drums the way I want to hear them. It’s easier than relying on the sound guys to get my drums dialed in so this really works out well and is worth the extra 5 or so minutes of set up time. Bonus: my overall stage volume is lower and I have plenty of gas in the tank at the end of the night because I’m not overplaying - everybody wins.

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
We're using Behringer P16's from an x32+s16 in the church band. This is a great solution for bigger bands where everyone can control their own mix. It helps that we're basically set up permanently though. Connecting with ethernet, either to the distribution switch or daisy chained, is really nice for simple connectivity.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I have a Mackie ProFX12 for my kit and vocal mics and take a feed from one of the three aux outs from the main mixer. I have a 20' snake for the signals there and back. I use Shure Se215's with the triple flange tips, with the outermost flange cut off, otherwise they go too deep in my ears.

michaelg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For studio I use a set of MEE audio IEM's and some Ear Defenders over them.

For those who use hearing protection (I use Earasers) , how do the Shure IEM's compare isolation wise ?

Tony_H

Reaction score
We're using Behringer P16's from an x32+s16 in the church band. This is a great solution for bigger bands where everyone can control their own mix. It helps that we're basically set up permanently though. Connecting with ethernet, either to the distribution switch or daisy chained, is really nice for simple connectivity.
Hardwired is absolutely the best way to go. Our sound guy has a very long ethernet cable "just in case" wifi is acting up.

We have to stay pretty mobile, so the phone app for all the band members is our best option. And if wifi is stable, which requires a survey of the wifi channels in the area, the app does almost as good of a job.

Tony_H

Reaction score
For studio I use a set of MEE audio IEM's and some Ear Defenders over them.

For those who use hearing protection (I use Earasers) , how do the Shure IEM's compare isolation wise ?
I've never used Earasers, but my Etymotic earplugs give about 20db of protection and great clarity. On my SE535s, I use the soft foam tips, and in my opinion, they block a lot more sound, which helps to keep the IEM volume at a pretty safe level.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ultimate Ears Sound Tap. It can take any input you throw at it. Custom mold ultimate ears iems. Simple!

covinasurf

Reaction score
JH custom molded IEMs. I run the drum mics into a Mackie board then run a mono feed to the PA. I run a monitor feed back from the PA into a channel on the Mackie that’s muted from the main out. Only problem with that is the keyboards and guitars refuse to run through the PA. But it works well enough and no accidents because I control everything going to my ears. Also have a CAD wireless system I’m trying out. Not bad so far.

JH

TomC727

Reaction score
When I started playing again a couple years ago, I invested in a custom molded pair of Ultimate Ears. I haven't had the opportunity to play with anyone yet but hopefully can find something.

Does anyone have any recs on personal IEM monitor amps?

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
I'm on Shure SE425s hardwired to a Xenyx mixer, direct feed from the house board for mix combined with a feed from my Roland SPD SX. Not ideal, but currently I'm the only band member that uses IEMs.

I've been trying to figure out a good way to get the rest of the band in on it. Playing with the idea of having a bigger mixer at the drums so that I can do monitor mixes for everyone in the band from where I sit. The back and forth with the house tech about monitors levels is always a big hurdle, and it always ends up with a "fine, let's just play" scenario.

For the next tour I'm investing in Westone EAS20 or EAS30 to allow some ambient noise bleed-through and higher bass response. The Shure's do the job ok, but I have to set up an extra mic pointing at the audience for room sound so I don't feel like I'm under water.

BigMur

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I got this and run my click through 1 channel and my mix through the 2nd channel. Fender buds and a set of Shure as well. I use an Allen & Heath QU16 board and can control my own mix.

drums1225

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just before the pandemic, I upgraded from Shure E5 (which I've used since 2003) to Sensaphonics 2Xs custom IEM, and I carry a backup pair of Shure SE425s. I use a wired Shure P6HW beltpack (also in use since 2003) with a built-in limiter which is always engaged.

My main band uses a QSC Touchmix 30, which has 14 aux outs, so all 7 of us get stereo mixes (makes a huge difference). My other bands use a Behringer XR18 or Midas MR18 and mono mixes. I control my mixes wirelessly with a Samsung Galaxy tablet. Once you've controlled your own mix, you'll never want to deal with a monitor engineer again. No need to get his/her attention, point at band members, point up or down, etc. It seems silly at this point.