header.nohb.html

What Kind of Setup Do You Have for IEMs?

Teazur

Reaction score
If you do use IEMs, what is your setup like?

For me I run a feed from the mixer to a Behringer Xenyx 502 Mixer. It has basic High/Low adjustment which sometimes help cut out that annoying high pitch noodling from guitars. Additionally you can adjust the level coming into the mixer as well as an independent adjustment for volume out to the IEMs.

For the mixing portion, we use a Behringer XAir so we can control our own mix via an app on the phone. That feature alone has spoiled me more than I realized until I had to work with a sound guy that adjusted my mix for me.

And of course, the IEMs themselves, which currently are Shure SE535s and a backup pair of SE215s.
We use a Presonus RM32ai Digital Mixer so there are 16 aux sends for monitors.
We all have iPads to control our own monitor mix which is beyond awesome!
I have the Future Sonics MG6 HX in-ears monitors.
Galaxy Audio AS1800 wireless unit.
I run my mix in stereo as the guitar, keys and bass all are run in stereo and the mix is out of this world!
Just like listening to a CD.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use to run a wireless setup but have switched over to wired and use the beheringer headphone amp with custom molded iems. I Velcro the headphone amp to my drum throne. And then I have a mini iPad synced to our board so I can control my mix myself

MeanDrLily

Reaction score
JH custom molded IEMs. I run the drum mics into a Mackie board then run a mono feed to the PA. I run a monitor feed back from the PA into a channel on the Mackie that’s muted from the main out. Only problem with that is the keyboards and guitars refuse to run through the PA. But it works well enough and no accidents because I control everything going to my ears. Also have a CAD wireless system I’m trying out. Not bad so far.

JH
I also have a couple of members that don't want to go through the PA because of their tone. Okay, fine, but I still mic their amps... then from the mixer I only send their feed to the monitors (muting their feed to the mains). They can have their "tone" and I can actually hear the full band through the IEMs. Works great!

Ryukyu

Reaction score
I got this and run my click through 1 channel and my mix through the 2nd channel. Fender buds and a set of Shure as well. I use an Allen & Heath QU16 board and can control my own mix.
That looks suspiciously like the Behringer P1, which I use with Ultimate Ears custom molded in-ears. The only thing that was frustrating was it took well over a year of back and forth with UE to get the fit right. And even then, I'm not sure it's right, but it's better.
For those that use UEs, do you get and maintain a good seal during the entire gig? My seal seems to change with my head movements. It's way better than it was but it still happens a bit. Am I being unrealistic in expecting the same kind of seal as with universal in-ears. I was previously using Shure SE215s, and got a pretty decent seal. Then my audiologist said that those were not the best for my hearing issues and that they strongly recommended that I get custom in-ears.

Last edited:

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
All the bands I play with are running either the Behringer X32 or Midas M32, so I get a stereo feed to my hard wired Fischer Amps pack. I control the mix from my iPad as well as run the backing tracks. Currently I’m using the Ultimate Ears UE11 Pro custom molded IEM’s. I’ve had the equivalent JH Audio ears in the past which were nice but their customer service is terrible so I won’t be doing business with them again. The UE’s actually sound cleaner/clearer and a lot less hyped than the equivalent JH’s. My ears don’t get fatigued as easily with the UE’s over the course of a 3-4 hour night.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm honestly shocked at the number of people using standard submixers to power their in-ears. None of these have limit protection. One blast of feedback and your ears are permanently wrecked.

If you must mix more than two sources from behind the drums (all of the standard packs have 2 ins available w/ mix control), then at least use a pack AFTER your mixer, so that you get the benefits of the pack's brick wall limiter.

The Behringer P2 mentioned above is a great cheap (<$80) way to get that (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...owerplay-p1-personal-in-ear-monitor-amplifier). And it has two inputs with a mix control (switchable between "2 mono inputs with a mix control" or "stereo L and R with a balance control"), so again, unless you need more than 2 inputs, you can use JUST that and ditch the mixer entirely.

The Behringer also has a mic stand mount and an optional power supply in, so you don't even have to use it as a traditional "belt pack" -- just put it on a mic stand and hardwire power to it and think of it as a safe little mixer. The Rolls PM55P also has similar functionality (but not the Rolls PM351, which does NOT have a limiter)

florian1

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Shure P6HW pack with JH Audio JH16s wired to house XLR for FOH mix.
We run a Midas mixer, so I can mix my own blend with Mixing Station (4 dollar app)

Ryukyu

Reaction score
I'm honestly shocked at the number of people using standard submixers to power their in-ears. None of these have limit protection. One blast of feedback and your ears are permanently wrecked.

If you must mix more than two sources from behind the drums (all of the standard packs have 2 ins available w/ mix control), then at least use a pack AFTER your mixer, so that you get the benefits of the pack's brick wall limiter.

The Behringer P2 mentioned above is a great cheap (<$80) way to get that (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...owerplay-p1-personal-in-ear-monitor-amplifier). And it has two inputs with a mix control (switchable between "2 mono inputs with a mix control" or "stereo L and R with a balance control"), so again, unless you need more than 2 inputs, you can use JUST that and ditch the mixer entirely.

The Behringer also has a mic stand mount and an optional power supply in, so you don't even have to use it as a traditional "belt pack" -- just put it on a mic stand and hardwire power to it and think of it as a safe little mixer. The Rolls PM55P also has similar functionality (but not the Rolls PM351, which does NOT have a limiter)
I bought a clamp that I attach to a cymbal stand for my P1.

Dtucci

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run Shure SE425s hardwired into our QSC TouchMix16. When I'm subbing out with a band that doesn't have a TouchMix or is using the powered AUX outs, I use a Xvive U4 transmitter/receiver. My guitarist found these for $50 on AMZ and swears by them -

KZ ZS10 Pro, Linsoul 4BA+1DD 5 Driver in-Ear HiFi Metal Earphones​

I bought a pair to check them out and didn't like them nearly as much. My guitarist likes his so much he traded me straight up for his backup pair of 425s. He never liked the way his guitar sounded through the Shures.
Anyhow, I sing lead on about 40% of our songs, I'm mixing from the kit and I'm the only one who banters with the audience, so I only run one in (usually my RIGHT ear to cut some of the guitar stage volume). All my guys run IEMs and I don't think we'll ever go back to wedges.

Tony_H

Reaction score

I can't speak for others, but I keep my volume very low to begin with, and any feedback that I've encountered didn't sound good at all, but the volume it came through was more than tolerable.

But I can absolutely see where it would become an issue if you use IEMs at a higher volume.

With all that, I may look into your recommendations and add an extra layer of protection, because you never know when the feedback will hurt your hearing.

Carlos McSnurf

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use shure se 215 and two options: Behringer p2 amp for direct aux from Soundcraft ui16 or a small mackie mixer, when playing with metronome. I also use occasionally for item my mobile rack system with full mixer which serves in case of main mixer fail

Parcel

Reaction score
I use these, with a headphone controller:

Works for me, nice, light an comfortable.
1660930720647.png

erict43

Reaction score
I invested in some custom-molded Ultimate Ears a few years ago, but I very rarely have an opportunity to use them. The band I'm with now plays a lot of bars, and the only sound they bring is a small PA for vocals and kick drum. So most of the time I'm just using foam earplugs, though I would love to have a simple solution that will give me a better drum mix for self-monitoring. I feel like I play with greater precision and dynamics when I can hear myself well.

Ryukyu

Reaction score
I invested in some custom-molded Ultimate Ears a few years ago, but I very rarely have an opportunity to use them. The band I'm with now plays a lot of bars, and the only sound they bring is a small PA for vocals and kick drum. So most of the time I'm just using foam earplugs, though I would love to have a simple solution that will give me a better drum mix for self-monitoring. I feel like I play with greater precision and dynamics when I can hear myself well.
How many monitor sends does it have? If you can have one to yourself, you should be able to do it. If not, one of the Behringer XR heads is not that expensive, and they have multiple monitor sends.

erict43

Reaction score
How many monitor sends does it have? If you can have one to yourself, you should be able to do it. If not, one of the Behringer XR heads is not that expensive, and they have multiple monitor sends.
It should have at least one, and it's not being used with our simple setup. I'll give that a try, maybe the bleed in the vocal mics will be enough to give me a decent sound.

Jeremy.Rad

Reaction score
We have a rackmount splitter snake that feeds foh and then goes to a digital mixer (presonus Studiolive 24R). From there to the wireless and wired IEMs. Also attached to the mixer is a WiFi router that allows each band member to control their own iem mix from their phone. We use this live and for rehearsal.

Tony_H

Reaction score
We have a rackmount splitter snake that feeds foh and then goes to a digital mixer (presonus Studiolive 24R). From there to the wireless and wired IEMs. Also attached to the mixer is a WiFi router that allows each band member to control their own iem mix from their phone. We use this live and for rehearsal.
We just use amps and a mini-pa for practice. So in order to not lug stuff around multiple times each week I just throw in some Etymotic earplugs and use my second (practice) kit for rehearsal.

zeichner

Reaction score
I found this nice how-to video about using the Yamaha EAD10 with IEMs.
Check the comments, where he answers questions about components & connectors (e.g. the EAD10 needs two spots on the DC7). Here are some photos of my personal setup:
IMG_1682.jpg
IMG_1683.jpg
IMG_1684.jpg

Reactions: Dem

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this nice how-to video about using the Yamaha EAD10 with IEMs.
Check the comments, where he answers questions about components & connectors (e.g. the EAD10 needs two spots on the DC7). Here are some photos of my personal setup: View attachment 578759 View attachment 578760 View attachment 578761
Once again though -- this setup leaves you without a limiter.

Definitely not even close to being the risk for me. It takes _shockingly_ little volume to do damage when the transducer is millimeters from your eardrum.

Reactions: Dem

kallen49

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Behringer P2 mentioned above is a great cheap (<$80) way to get that (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...owerplay-p1-personal-in-ear-monitor-amplifier).
This is worthy of a thread pinned to the home page.

I'm currently rehearsing using a small Berhinger mixer, (supplied by the band leader), to run my Shure in-ears and it does not have a limiter to protect my ears. I wondered about this but obviously not considered the danger.
Meanwhile I OWN a P1 that I will now be bringing to practice. (Duh)
Thanks bpaluzzi!