What kind of snare to look for when planning acoustic to electric conversions?

NoMotivationDrummer

Reaction score
(First thread on this forum!)

Hello all! I am looking for a snare to use for an acoustic to electric conversion. I would like to find a snare that is under $150.00 and sounds good if I want to change the heads back to acoustic to use for a gig. I would like something at least 14x6.5 in size and would look good with a roland TD-17 kit. I would prefer if I could look for a snare that usually goes for under $120.00 but I can afford up to $150.00

I am going to convert this (hypothetical) snare to electric using Jobekey triggers and a drum-tec pro mesh head on the batter side. (No head on the snare side, it's a waste of money for an electric snare as you don't need one.)

I will be removing the snares and both heads to keep for later.

I am not going to buy a pre-built snare as they go for INSANE prices and you can build something of similar quality for about half the price.

Do y'all have any ideas? I would appreciate any help I can get!

electrodrummer

Reaction score
Play some snares drums, then buy the one YOU like the sound of for your budget. (and the one you like the "look" of, as well it seems).

It's all a very very very personal decision and there's 1000s of choices out there.

NoMotivationDrummer

Reaction score
Play some snares drums, then buy the one YOU like the sound of for your budget. (and the one you like the "look" of, as well it seems).

It's all a very very very personal decision and there's 1000s of choices out there.
Well, I'm probably not gonna play at many gigs as I am still an intermediate drummer, so something like a Tama Woodworks or Metalworks would work good. after I convert the drum, it will stay converted and will be used for my TD-17. If I choose to use it for gigs, I would probably just change the heads and leave the trigger in as some light "muffling".
Edit:
I have listened to recordings of the Tama Woodworks snares and I DO in fact like the "look" and sound of them. I think that's what I am going to go for.

Last edited:

SplineSpider

Reaction score
1966 Majestic Maple Snare made a great electronic snare with my Helensson dual zone trigger

1966 Majestic Maple Snare made a great electronic snare. I used a Helensson trigger mounted to the side of the shell. Very sensitive And responsive.
These triggers are dual zone, both rim and head and have independent adjustments for each Piezo.
20200228_160328.jpg

Last edited:

NoMotivationDrummer

Reaction score
Thanks, that kit looks awesome!

I have settled on a TAMA Woodworks 6.5x14 poplar snare. I think it will make a great addition to my kit. My dad says it's a horrible idea, but the snare is already in the mail, so yay for me! He doesn't understand the value of having full acoustic shells. It gets really annoying when he tries to convince me otherwise.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just keep an eye out for a Musicians Friend deal of the day on something like a Tama or OCDP snare. You can usually find something for cheap with those deals.

If not, you can buy this snare: https://www.drumforum.org/threads/pdp-concept-maple-snare-5-5x14-cherry-stain-finish.179901/

I did the work on the drum cutting new edges, sealing the interior, cleaning everything up, etc. Its a nice snare that is easy to tune, has minimal sympathetic snare buzz and a crisp crack when you lay in to it.