What Lockdown? DCP Video Showdown: Which Luxury Drum Kit Is Right For You?

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd go with the mahogany but that's me

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
From what I was given to go from I’m going with the SQ2s.

These guys do a great job with their videos. Always impressed with the production. I would appreciate less cymbal work but still impressed.

I think this might be the most blatant lack of attempt to transition an exotic veneer at the seem that I’ve ever seen but I kind of like it.

0500D378-BA42-4873-B68C-8013ABC7E698.jpeg

Last edited:

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Think he says it at 10:04

Shane: "To me Sonor is the dream kit."

Later he states why, cause no other manufacturer makes a shell like Sonor 12mm undersized and have since 1965.

Listen to room mics of each kit. The other 2 sound thin in the room mics, but not the SQ2

Last edited:

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
as tested
sonor 7820.17
tama 7999.99
dw 7389.63
I wouldn't drop 8 geets on a kit at this point in my life and in my development.

Not yet at least, never say never.

But I like the sound of mahogany.

scole

Reaction score
My instructor has a SQ2 and it’s pretty nice. It was his dream kit and one he thought he’d never be able to get. A sudden inheritance changed his fortunes and he couldn’t be happier with.

The finish on that Tama is dreamy, though.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not sure I heard anything from any of the three of them that warrants that price point, meaning nothing above and beyond what you'd get for a kit half that price.

But I appreciate the refinements in both the Sonor and Tama kits. (I only point out those two because I know a little more about their hardware and shells.) They look exquisitely built.

Didn't love the finish on any of them unfortunately, but thought the DW popped the most.

Soundwise, I really liked the Sonor, but ultimately thought the Tama had a little more rumble and boom. I love a little junk in the trunk.

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently sat behind a Tama Starclassic Birch\Walnut set that sounded every bit as good to my ears and is a whole lot cheaper but I reckon it all boils down to an individual’s taste.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I immediately noticed that seam on the DW floor tom — that sudden transition makes it look like a cheap drum built by people who forgot to think about such things. Not good on a $7,000+ 'dream' kit with an exotic finish.

I still think wood finishes — even ultra high-end finishes like these — don't look all that great under stage lights. The darker the color the worse they fare. However, like most wood finishes, they're nice when you're up close (although I'm not nuts about the finish on those Tamas).

As for the sound, until DCP makes a video where they tune the drums like I do, I can't say. All the toms on all three kits obediently bent their pitches downward, and all the bass drums on all three kits thumped away with little presence. Considering the different philosophies behind each kit's design and construction it's surprising how alike all three sounded. (For example, all that isolation technology on the Sonors didn't really seem to make much difference at all in their sound.)

All in all, meh. (And that Sonor tom mount is ridiculous.) Of course, YMMV.