What Lockdown? DCP Video Showdown: Which Luxury Drum Kit Is Right For You?

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want that Sonor tone, you can get it from the old Phonic kit and save yourself about $5-6k from buying (that) new SQ2. I played my Phonic today and it sounded very close.

Not trying to judge, but buying a heavy beech SQ2 is more of a bling move than a rea$onable choice, IMO. Nothing wrong with that if you want the look. I have been sorely tempted to go for a medium beech SQ2 before, but that mostly went away after the Phonic.

You might get a more seasoned tone from older beech, anyway...

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think he says it at 10:04

Shane: "To me Sonor is the dream kit."

Later he states why, cause no other manufacturer makes a shell like Sonor 12mm undersized and have since 1965.

Listen to room mics of each kit. The other 2 sound thin in the room mics, but not the SQ2
I'm not telling you anything new, but if anyone wonders why the Sonor fills the room, it's the heavy beech shells. If they weren't heavy in weight I'd like them more at gigs, but it's worth it.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you want that Sonor tone, you can get it from the old Phonic kit and save yourself about $5-6k from buying (that) new SQ2. I played my Phonic today and it sounded very close.

Not trying to judge, but buying a heavy beech SQ2 is more of a bling move than a rea$onable choice, IMO. Nothing wrong with that if you want the look. I have been sorely tempted to go for a medium beech SQ2 before, but that mostly went away after the Phonic.

You might get a more seasoned tone from older beech, anyway...
Could not agree more, in fact the SQ2 heavy beech is not as thick as Sigs or rosewood inside out phonics and the medium beech has a wider tuning range. Some have suggested over the years that the first gen black label phonics were made from more heartwood beech then the silver badge, but just a theory.

BRIAN

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just did quick ballpark figures, ASSUME 5 drums on each kit at AVERAGE price of $7500.00 U.S.D. That comes out to $1500.00 U.S.D. per drum........................um no

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love nice drums. I’ve got some real nice ones. I’m not spending 7k on a kit. PERIOD! That being said, those Tamas sure are purty!

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So. Sonically speaking. Wouldn’t someone consider a solid shell kit in this price range ? I’d definitely think about a Craviotto, but that’s me.

They’re not a Craviotto dealer, so that might have been a reason. There was some tension between that store and Johnny or Steve Maxwell a few years ago, I remember that. And why not a PHX kit either ?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, if these were cars, these three with the same tester, would go faster, out brake, cradle and pamper the driver, better than the price points below them.

however drums alone don't make a noise.
So how much of an improvement would these drums make to your sound.

From what you drive..err play now..

nk126

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
So which beech kits - new or used, modern or vintage - would you recommend for most sound for the buck (and some level of durability if we’re talking older drums)? Phonics?

Could not agree more, in fact the SQ2 heavy beech is not as thick as Sigs or rosewood inside out phonics and the medium beech has a wider tuning range. Some have suggested over the years that the first gen black label phonics were made from more heartwood beech then the silver badge, but just a theory.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So which beech kits - new or used, modern or vintage - would you recommend for most sound for the buck (and some level of durability if we’re talking older drums)? Phonics?
Phonics for sure, and don't worry about durability. After the bomb, all that will be left is twinkies, cockroaches and Phonics.

To Joes point, you can hear the different playing styles in the video make a big difference. Shane is used to heavy Sonor and he is hitting hard, they are thick and like a good solid hit. His room mic section is full. The next guy is a better player, but he seems used to thin drums cause is touch is much lighter and his room mic section on the SQ2 sound distant and farther away. He needs to lay into them like Shane to make those shells wake up.

image.jpeg

nk126

Reaction score
Phonics for sure, and don't worry about durability. After the bomb, all that will be left is twinkies, cockroaches and Phonics.
Well, sure. Twinkies never die.

To Joes point, you can hear the different playing styles in the video make a big difference. Shane is used to heavy Sonor and he is hitting hard, they are thick and like a good solid hit. His room mic section is full. The next guy is a better player, but he seems used to thin drums cause is touch is much lighter and his room mic section on the SQ2 sound distant and farther away. He needs to lay into them like Shane to make those shells wake up.
Right ... Good points. I like the way DCP uses the different mic setups in their vids. I do wish they had different players, though. I'm not a huge fan of either of those guys' playing. Couldn't find a Memphis Drum or DrumCenter.CZ of the SQ2s in the same sizes.

Maybe I'm just bored but I keep thinking about beech drums ...

How do the Teardrops compare to the Phonics, in your view?

View attachment 466806
[/QUOTE]

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tama Star and Sonor SQ2 are both fantastic drums. I think I might have a slight lean towards the Tamagotchi's Star over the SQ2- especially if it is a maple or bubinga shell model. I think the Tama Star maple in Curly Maple Ocean Blue finish is the most beautiful kit I have ever laid eyes on.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Apples and oranges
A whole separate post and subject, but in a nutshell standard Phonics are 9ply 9mm and 6ply Teardrops are 6mm. Phonics prefer high turnings while Teardrops are more versatile. Drops have light hardware and mounts compared to Phonics which are very heavy.

Shelly Manne dropped his endorsement of Phonics because they were to heavy for him to handle by himself at his age.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

nk126

Reaction score
Cool. You have reinforced my longstanding want of a Teardrop kit :)

I kinda think they'd sound a lot like my Rogers, but only one way to really find out ...

Apples and oranges
A whole separate post and subject, but in a nutshell standard Phonics are 9ply 9mm and 6ply Teardrops are 6mm. Phonics prefer high turnings while Teardrops are more versatile. Drops have light hardware and mounts compared to Phonics which are very heavy.

Shelly Manne dropped his endorsement of Phonics because they were to heavy for him to handle by himself at his age. View attachment 466818 View attachment 466819