What Lockdown? DCP Video Showdown: Which Luxury Drum Kit Is Right For You?

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tama Star Mahogany? Top-shelf Sonor in heavy beech? The latest DW experiment on shells, as well as on their market’s tolerance and gullibility?

Which would you choose...

All three sounded surprisingly very tame especially considering the single ply clear heads.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Apples and oranges
A whole separate post and subject, but in a nutshell standard Phonics are 9ply 9mm and 6ply Teardrops are 6mm. Phonics prefer high turnings while Teardrops are more versatile. Drops have light hardware and mounts compared to Phonics which are very heavy.

Shelly Manne dropped his endorsement of Phonics because they were to heavy for him to handle by himself at his age. View attachment 466818 View attachment 466819
THAT is a beautiful wood grain finish!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
someone mentioned correctly the DW includes the snare - so add another (OR YOUR $95 acrolite) $1K to the others - the links are below in the video- see for self

Last edited:

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
None of these wowed me. All three are nice, but none really moved me.

The only drum set that I've played in that price range that gave me serious drum lust was a walnut Craviotto that I played at Steve Maxwell's shop in 2010. (The kit was $6,000 then.) Eventually I may sell off my DW Collector's Series kit, my Gretsch USA Custom shell bank, and some snare drums and go all in on Craviotto.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Ok for 7K I'd get two USA Custom Gretsch sets. One big One small, Lacquer!!
Now you’re talking.

For my bank account, $8000 for drums might as well be the “what would I do of I won the million dollar lottery” conversation, for all its practicality.

But if your budget really took you there, absolutely $8000 gets you FAR better bang out of a Gretsch USA Custom, break-down, grab and go, play any genre Shell-Bank, with enough money for two bass drums to stretch everywhere between bop and metal, plus three Gretsch snares (bright metal, dark wood and take your pick) to cover any and all stages, studios and unscratchable itches. And by the way, covered with the best lacquer in the business.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
None of these wowed me. All three are nice, but none really moved me.

The only drum set that I've played in that price range that gave me serious drum lust was a walnut Craviotto that I played at Steve Maxwell's shop in 2010. (The kit was $6,000 then.) Eventually I may sell off my DW Collector's Series kit, my Gretsch USA Custom shell bank, and some snare drums and go all in on Craviotto.
I think the only kit I’d ever purchase now would be a steambent kit ...

kevinyarger

Reaction score
I dug the Sonor as it reminded me of my friends Premier Signia with that undersized shell that I always loved but could never find the sizes I wanted. Regardless, I can't see myself ever putting down high dollar for a ply shell while knowing a Craviotto shell exists.

I wish DCP still carried Craviotto as I bet they would have made some great video comparisons of different kits/snares.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
This what 7k got me.
View attachment 466901 View attachment 466906 View attachment 466907 View attachment 466908 View attachment 466909 View attachment 466905

And I would buy it all again in a heart beat as it sounds much better to me than those kits.
Wow, that DW kit looks great. When I was coming up DW was the kit to own but I was always indifferent to them for some reason.

These days, every time I see a DW kit with a high gloss wood veneer finish I think; wow, that just looks great.

Those Camco lugs are just beautiful.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow, that DW kit looks great. When I was coming up DW was the kit to own but I was always indifferent to them for some reason.

These days, every time I see a DW kit with a high gloss wood veneer finish I think; wow, that just looks great.

Those Camco lugs are just beautiful.
Thank you.
I actually dispise the vineer only. You pay so much for just a expensive wrap.

That is why I really love their mixed wood shells, this Mahogany mix really brings out all the best combined with the maple.

The same goes for the Cherry and Walnut combo with BB edges on top and bottom.

Looks are one thing, but sound. Sound is everything.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thank you.
I actually dispise the vineer only. You pay so much for just a expensive wrap.

That is why I really love their mixed wood shells, this Mahogany mix really brings out all the best combined with the maple.

The same goes for the Cherry and Walnut combo with BB edges on top and bottom.

Looks are one thing, but sound. Sound is everything.
There, I can not agree with you. Looks mean a lot. If your wife is a great partner, mother and cooks a mean veal Marsala that’s great.....if she also looks like Olga Kobzar, well even better.

CigarScott

Reaction score
If money was no object, I would get a Sonor kit but it seems like few places carry them here in the US and would be qualified to help you get the SQ2 or another custom kit ordered correctly.