What Lockdown? DCP Video Showdown: Which Luxury Drum Kit Is Right For You?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
the room mike in these comparison videos ....sounds...I don't know.. Like walking into a firehall when the band has already started.
I'm not hearing 'the value' in the room mic. Sounds worse than my $11 Radio Shack mic plugged into the back of my Dell tower uploaded to Soundcloud in the old K garage with an audience of me and my cat....
maaybe I'm missing something

drums1225

Reaction score
I think the Tama Star maple in Curly Maple Ocean Blue finish is the most beautiful kit I have ever laid eyes on.
I agree! I was totally NOT in the market for new drums. As a matter of fact, I was looking to thin the herd, but nearly 2 years ago, I saw a Tama STAR ad with the Ocean Blue Curly Maple on Facebook and I became obsessed. It became a mission and I begged, borrowed, sold, and stole (well, not really) to make it happen. Ordered it from Shane at DCP in late May 2019, and after a shipping glitch between Tama Japan and Tama/Hoshino USA (nothing to do with Shane), it arrived in early Feb 2020. I love this kit. It sounds awesome (but honestly, I couldn't say it sounds noticeably better than my Starclassic Maple), and the finish is just stunning in person. Having this kit in my studio has made a brutal 2020 a bit less brutal.

Chris

Sizes: 20x16, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 16x16.

20200427_STAR Maple_NewConfig.jpg

Last edited:

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could not agree more, in fact the SQ2 heavy beech is not as thick as Sigs or rosewood inside out phonics and the medium beech has a wider tuning range. Some have suggested over the years that the first gen black label phonics were made from more heartwood beech then the silver badge, but just a theory.
I wonder if heartwood beech would sound noticeably different than beech of “lesser” quality of the same shell thickness. I doubt I’d notice but it’d be fun to find out.

The tuning range thing is right. Mine like it either down low or nearly into bop territory. They can go to the middle, but not as well.

Last edited:

Core Creek

Reaction score
I’ve never been a DW fan but I think they sound the best here.... and for me the Tama Star kits have been my dream drums for a few years now.

What I think this proves is that, as I suspected, I just prefer the sound of a maple kit. They should compare a DW maple, Tama Star maple and Sonor Maple. That’s more of an apples-to-apples-to-apples comparison.

kzac

Reaction score
Tama Star Mahogany? Top-shelf Sonor in heavy beech? The latest DW experiment on shells, as well as on their market’s tolerance and gullibility?

Which would you choose...

I search for sound in a drum, not material or manufacturer. Therefore my kits are always a collection of various drums from various manufacturers. I have learned through the years that purchasing a drum kit because of its shell construction material or its manufacturers claims, is incorrect and produces a kit where bits are not exactly as desired.

Buy drums based upon their sound and you will assemble a much better kit. Do you only purchase cymbals all from one manufacturer? Then why not do the same for your drums? Buy what sounds good to your ear and harmonizes with your other bits. Ignore the marketing hype.

Corbin L Douthitt

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tama Star Mahogany? Top-shelf Sonor in heavy beech? The latest DW experiment on shells, as well as on their market’s tolerance and gullibility?

Which would you choose...

Is a Cadillac better than a Chevrolet? or is a Mercedes Benz better than either? with high end- you SHOULD get perfect shells and bearing edges, perfect chrome, perfect lug alignment, unflawed finishes. Now, what do you consider 'high end'? is it the most expensive of a Brand? or are certain brands- high end? Can you SEE the quality? Can you HEAR the quality? Can you FEEL the quality? Not trying to be a jerk.. We pay $$$ for a bottom end 6 lug student beginner snare- just because it was made in 1952 by xxxxx. Granted in those days, the shells were pretty much the same across the price range, they saved $ by 6 lugs instead of 8 or 10- maybe the High End had 12 lugs and Heavy brass rims...
IMHO- Spending $ on High End anything is an option for those who can afford it AND those who budget for the best. $1500 custom made suits from excellent quality materials will last many years, whereas a $200 Mens Wearhouse suit will look ok and last a couple of years. Drums and guns and motorcycles...cars … it's about taste and budget. I watch young people agonize over $6000 5 piece kits- which is THE BEST! I don't know if they are just dreaming or shopping. We tend to over think or impulse buy. Perhaps the guy agonizing over a $6000 5 piece- is the same guy who lays out his kit with tape marks on the rug and uses a level and tape measure to set his cymbals and hardware in place. Fun to read about. Not so much if you are his roadie or band mate.
What SOUNDS good to you. Get it.. Hear a drummers ride cymbal you just LOVE- offer to buy it. PAY for it... you'll never regret paying for the stuff you like.
Drums is like cars- so many options.. It isn't about- Beech is better than mahogany or Birch or maple or bubinga or oak....it's about each wood gives a different range of tones, warmth or brightness, depth or tuning range... then there is bearing edges... a science ( or voodoo for some).
Choices. It's what America is ALL about. CHOICES.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice but this price point will never be my thing.
If I had that sort of dhoop to spend on a kit I’d buy a Legacy Maple and use the rest for lessons. The lessons would probably be the best money I’ve spent on drums in my entire life.

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
the room mike in these comparison videos ....sounds...I don't know.. Like walking into a firehall when the band has already started.
I'm not hearing 'the value' in the room mic. Sounds worse than my $11 Radio Shack mic plugged into the back of my Dell tower uploaded to Soundcloud in the old K garage with an audience of me and my cat....
maaybe I'm missing something
In modern practice, as with what they're doing here, room mics are normally used to add a sense of room depth and dynamics in the context of a full mix. But it's been in practice since the early days, really. A lot of older and new soul, funk and jazz recordings, for example, utilize only room mics, or at least distant minimal mics. It creates a feeling. Of course, in those earlier days, tracks were limited, so minimal mics were a necessity.

The value here, though, is especially that the room mics, heard by themselves, are giving a relative sense of the acoustic projection of these kits. Some have said that the Sonor kit seems to fill the room more; if that kind of quality is important to you, the room mics are giving you that information. You wouldn't hear it as well only on the close mics.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your correct... Most kits today are constructed for ..... Studio use... not live play... that is why most of them sound .... dead... or over dampened....
I would like to know how you arrived at this conclusion?

Santino

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the hatred of the DW floor tom veneer? Everybody knows to get DW seam matched veneers, you have to drop over $8k, minimum, sans snare.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
All the hatred of the DW floor tom veneer? Everybody knows to get DW seam matched veneers, you have to drop over $8k, minimum, sans snare.
Oh, you wanted your veneer to match up? You did say that now did you. There was a little box you forgot to check and the small matter of an additional charge..................Sir, please, that type of language is completely unacceptable as well as being unbecoming of a DW customer, even one who bought a floor tom with crooked veneer.