What made you decide on your Main kit ?

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
N&C built a drum for Lincoln’s inauguration . They built the majority of the drums for the Union Army as well .
I could swear that I once read in MD that N&C had also built a drum for Grant's campaign, that it was the largest drum in the world at that time, and was housed in what was the largest frame building and both were destroyed in a storm.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
I could swear that I once read in MD that N&C had also built a drum for Grant's campaign, that it was the largest drum in the world at that time, and was housed in what was the largest frame building and both were destroyed in a storm.
John Aldridge published this information in book form, taking his information from a 1987 Noble & Cooley flyer. It doesn’t mention the fire, but I’ve heard that too.

I have to chuckle at the 19th century snare drum being made from a rail split by President Abraham Lincoln himself. The classic luxury-drum-maker’s move. If you didn’t know better, you’d swear John Good was somehow behind that one.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
John Aldridge published this information in book form, taking his information from a 1987 Noble & Cooley flyer. It doesn’t mention the fire, but I’ve heard that too.

I have to chuckle at the 19th century snare drum being made from a rail split by President Abraham Lincoln himself. The classic luxury-drum-maker’s move. If you didn’t know better, you’d swear John Good was somehow behind that one.

Lincoln and Grant for endorsers, not bad for a 'boutique' drum company. (never like hearing them called 'boutique', they are the real deal)

RedeyeSPR

Reaction score
My workhorse kit is actually the cheapest one I own, a Yamaha Stage Custom Birch. I have a few others that are nicer, but they are more for specific tasks. The SCs I use quite a lot for my YouTube channel. My decision was based on the wide variety of sizes available for a reasonable price and my experience with Yamaha's quality and sound. I have 10/12/14/16/22 +18 bass drum and a surprise great snare all for under $1000. I am likely going to add the 20" bass drum and 13" tom sometime. Also, black is black so if I need something in the far future it will be easy to match the finis close enough.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I arrived at 90’s era Premier stuff by happenstance. Back in early 98 I went into the local Guitar Center intending to buy a DW kit as they seemed to be the most represented high end brand preferred by pros of that time. The kit they had on the floor was extremely underwhelming (just kind of dead & lifeless, those stock coated/clear heads don’t do those drums any favors) and I was really disappointed. Since I was there I tried all the other high end kits they had set up, eventually getting to a Premier Signia which had been my last choice. There it was, a sound & feel that I connected to immediately!

I’ve played many amazing drums since then (Sonor, Noble & Cooley, Jenkins-Martin, etc) but nothing that has ever made me want sell off all my Genistas/Signias/Gen-X drums and “upgrade” to something else. 20+ years later I still feel like these drums can hold their own against just about anything that’s been made before or since.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I arrived at 90’s era Premier stuff by happenstance. Back in early 98 I went into the local Guitar Center intending to buy a DW kit as they seemed to be the most represented high end brand preferred by pros of that time. The kit they had on the floor was extremely underwhelming (just kind of dead & lifeless, those stock coated/clear heads don’t do those drums any favors) and I was really disappointed. Since I was there I tried all the other high end kits they had set up, eventually getting to a Premier Signia which had been my last choice. There it was, a sound & feel that I connected to immediately!

I’ve played many amazing drums since then (Sonor, Noble & Cooley, Jenkins-Martin, etc) but nothing that has ever made me want sell off all my Genistas/Signias/Gen-X drums and “upgrade” to something else. 20+ years later I still feel like these drums can hold their own against just about anything that’s been made before or since.
Don’t bode get to mention Premier’s Chrome plating during this period was leaps and bounds nicer than anything else out there .

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I guess my main gigging kit is my Export set. They were the best I could afford when I got them and now they hold sentimental value. At one point I painted them a blue/cream duco style then a couple years ago I stripped the wrap and stained them, plus gave a coat of Thompson's water seal, so now they're my "all-weather" drums for those flash monsoon storms or haboobs. Plus, I don't have to worry about using cases; when they get too beat up I'll just re-wrap them or "rat rod" them.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't have what you could call a main kit, but these mid seventies Blackchrome Slingy 3-ply maple int.'s are what I've been playing for quite a few months . 22 13 16 , I paid 300 for them .Cheap price for top quality sound has usually been the deciding factor in my acquisitions .
Is there some pics of this kit online? Meaning "your" kit ... not just any Blakrome kit. I'd love to see them.

Eyedrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It was ultimately sound and feel for me - great looks and world class build quality doesn’t hurt either. I have played and owned many different kits over the years but my SQ2 vintage maple shell kit and SQ1 med/heavy birch kit are my two favorites.

Attachments

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It was ultimately sound and feel for me - great looks and world class build quality doesn’t hurt either. I have played and owned many different kits over the years but my SQ2 vintage maple shell kit and SQ1 med/heavy birch kit are my two favorites.
Those African Marbles are ugly. Let me take them off your hands.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
... The [DW] kit they had on the floor was extremely underwhelming (just kind of dead & lifeless, those stock coated/clear heads don’t do those drums any favors) and I was really disappointed...
Agree 1000%. For years I was reluctant to judge the sound of DW drums because those heads were so pi$$-poor. Ginger Baker's drum sound on the Cream 2005 reunion CD/DVD is very dull and "thuddy" primarily because of those heads.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score

The very first Slingerland kit I fell for was a Blakrome kit. I was in a music store and there was a single Blakrome tom sitting on the counter. It stopped me in my tracks. I loved that finish. I looked at the name and for the first time in my life, it didn't turn me off.
THAT was the drum that turned my attitude about Slingerland.
3 ply Blakrome ... very very cool. Usually find those in the thicker version.
Excellent.